Windows 10: Split or Merge PDFs with PDFsam Basic, an open source program for Windows, Linux and macOS

Discus and support Split or Merge PDFs with PDFsam Basic, an open source program for Windows, Linux and macOS in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; PDFs have long been a commonly used format for eBooks, digital manuals or documents thanks to how content is presented regardless of operating system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Nov 27, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Split or Merge PDFs with PDFsam Basic, an open source program for Windows, Linux and macOS

PDFs have long been a commonly used format for eBooks, digital manuals or documents thanks to how content is presented regardless of operating system that is used and great support for PDF reading applications (check out Sumatra for an excellent PDF reader).

Editing PDF documents on the other hand has never been great, especially if you limited your search to free solutions.

Most free PDF tools are online based, which means you're uploading your document to a third-party server. While that is okay for generic files, it may be an issue for anything else.

PDFSAM -- PDF Split and Merge

Split or Merge PDFs with PDFsam Basic, an open source program for Windows, Linux and macOS Split-or-Merge-PDFs-with-PDFsam-Basic-free.jpg

If you just want to perform some basic operations such as splitting a PDF or merging multiple files into a single document, you can use PDFsam Basic. It's a free, open source program that's available for Windows, Linux and macOS.

The main screen of PDF Split and Merge is where you select what you want to do. The application provides the following options:

• Merge
    • Split
    • Rotate
    • Extract
    • Split by bookmarks
    • Mix
    • Split by Size

Clicking on one of the options takes you to the editor interface which may look different as it depends on the selected action. The left side-bar can be used to switch between the tools. You can drag and drop files on to the interface or use the add button to select the PDFs that you wish to use. Right-clicking on the added files allows you to rearrange the order of the documents, remove them, or view the PDF's properties.

Merge PDFs

Split or Merge PDFs with PDFsam Basic, an open source program for Windows, Linux and macOS Split-or-Merge-PDFs-with-PDFsam-Basic.jpg

This option can be used combine multiple PDF documents into one. The Page range selector lets you select specific pages from each document for the merging process.

The Merge tab has options to add a blank page at the end of each document if the number of pages is odd. The footer setting, when selected, adds the name of the PDF to the page, while the normalize page size option re-sizes pages to the width of the first page. Other options provided include generating a Table of Contents, Bookmark retention, and interactive form management. To merge the selected files, set the desired options and hit the Run button; the merged PDF will be ready in a few seconds.

Split or Merge PDFs with PDFsam Basic, an open source program for Windows, Linux and macOS Merge-PDFs-with-PDFsam-Basic.jpg

You can customize the destination folder where the PDF should be saved, and also set the name of the new file using the "Destination" section.

The Mix and merge section of the sidebar uses pages in alternating order from two or more PDFs to create a single PDF. So it will use a page from the first PDF followed by one from the 2nd PDF, and so on to mix and merge the document.

Split PDF

If you have a large PDF that you wish to break down into smaller documents, you can do that with PDFsam. There are a few different ways to split a PDF including: after each page, odd or even pages, split after specific page numbers, or after every "n" pages (for e.g. after every 5 pages). There are two more ways to Split PDFs: by bookmarks and by size (in KB and MB).

Rotate

Ever had a PDF which had pages or pictures in landscape mode? This set of options in PDFsam can be used to rotate individual pages, all pages, odd or even pages of a PDF, by 90 or 180 degrees clockwise, or 90 degrees anti-clockwise.

Extract

This option is handy if you just want to extract one or two pages, to use for reference or quick access. You can also extract the pages by using the page ranges selection tool (like extracting a Chapter).

There is a whole section of Premium features that you obviously can't use in the free version. It just serves as an ad for the paid versions, and you can ignore it or disable the Premium section from the settings. PDFsam Basic does not require Java to be installed, it comes with the required files needed to run the application. The program is available as a portable version.

Closing Words

In my tests, I merged various eBooks to form a single book. I did this a few times with various options enabled, and the size of the final PDF differed a bit depending on what I selected. For the price of free, I have no complaints with it.

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Split or Merge PDFs with PDFsam Basic, an open source program for Windows, Linux and macOS appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Nov 27, 2019
  2. Guest1 Win User

Free PDF Editor - PDF SPLIT AND MERGE

Great free app for editing PDF files e.g. deleting pages, merging pages, rotating pages etc.

Only minor missing is inserting a page(s) (or I have not worked out how to do it). Easy enough to split a fie at pdf insertion point e.g. part 1, part 2, and merge as follows :- part 1, new part, part 2 though.

https://github.com/torakiki/pdfsam-v...sam-v2_2_4.msi

Guest1, Nov 27, 2019
  3. Guest2 Win User
    Best free PDF software?

PDFSam (Split and Merge) is free, crossplatform (Linux/Windows) and opensource and does a lot of things

There's also PDFtk (ToolKit) and it's corssplatform too.

For Linux

If pdftk is not already installed, install it like this on a Debian or Ubuntu-based computer.
    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get install pdftk

Then, to make a new pdf with just pages 1, 2, 4, and 5 from the old pdf, do this:
    $ pdftk myoldfile.pdf cat 1 2 4 5 output mynewfile.pdf

pdftk is also capable of merging multiple pdf files into one pdf.
    $ pdftk pg_0001.pdf pg_0002.pdf pg_0004.pdf pg_0005.pdf output mynewfile.pdf

Guest2, Nov 27, 2019
  4. Guest3 Win User

Split or Merge PDFs with PDFsam Basic, an open source program for Windows, Linux and macOS

Best free PDF software?

I use:
    • UnityPDF to merge/split PDFs and to insert/extract pages
    • doPDF to create PDFs from any program that is capable of printing
    • Foxit Reader to view PDFs and to type in them

Guest3, Nov 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Split or Merge PDFs with PDFsam Basic, an open source program for Windows, Linux and macOS - Similar Threads - Split Merge PDFs

2. opening PDFs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    opening PDFs: Trying to open PDFs as normal but keep getting this pop-up on my screen “C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe” “%1”. Does anyone know what is going on and how it can be fixed? Many thanks in advance...
  3. opening PDFs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    opening PDFs: Trying to open PDFs as normal but keep getting this pop-up on my screen “C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe” “%1”. Does anyone know what is going on and how it can be fixed? Many thanks in advance...
  4. opening PDFs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Share a Windows scanner with MacOS, Linux, Android

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Share a Windows scanner with MacOS, Linux, Android: I have been working on a solution to share a Windows scanner with MacOS, Linux and Android. I have nearly competed the project for basic scanning functionality and now and would like to find people who can test. If you have a working scanner on your Windows computer (Windows...
  6. Destroyed macOS, Linux Partition by Windows Installation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Destroyed macOS, Linux Partition by Windows Installation: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ritzcarltn [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jv19dj/destroyed_macos_linux_partition_by_windows/
  7. Microsoft Open-Sources GW-BASIC on GitHub

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Open-Sources GW-BASIC on GitHub: We are excited to announce the open-sourcing of Microsoft GW-BASIC on GitHub! Yes, seriously Why? Since re-open-sourcing MS-DOS 1.25 & 2.0 on GitHub last year, we’ve received numerous requests to also open-source Microsoft BASIC. Well, here we are! The...
  8. How to split PDFs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to split PDFs: How do I split PDFs in Windows 10 and HP all in one Printer? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-split-pdfs/5f54758a-eace-4651-9d54-77d7b8f34c00"
  9. Criptext is a free encrypted email service with open source apps for Windows, Linux, macOS,...

in Windows 10 News
    Criptext is a free encrypted email service with open source apps for Windows, Linux, macOS,...: Criptext is a free encrypted email service for Windows, Linux, macOS, Android and iOS. It has been around for a while, but I thought it may be worth looking into. [ATTACH] Before we get started, allow me to say that this article isn't about Criptext vs Protonmail, so we're...
  10. OBS Studio is an open source video recorder and streaming app for Windows, Linux and macOS

in Windows 10 News
    OBS Studio is an open source video recorder and streaming app for Windows, Linux and macOS: OBS Studio aka Open Broadcaster Software Studio is very popular among YouTube users. You can use it to broadcast gameplay streams live or use it to record videos (which you may then upload to YouTube or other video hosting sites). Want to set up a camera and mic to record...