Windows 10: SppExtComObj.Exe

Discus and support SppExtComObj.Exe in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi There, My Malwarebytes (recently installed) has been blocking an outbound connection to a website 94.242.206.249 using the process... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by stevenson53, Aug 24, 2016.

1. SppExtComObj.Exe

Hi There,
    My Malwarebytes (recently installed) has been blocking an outbound connection to a website 94.242.206.249 using the process SppExtComObj.Exe.
    I have searched and it seems that this file is a valid process.
    The file version is dated 30.10.15, 10.0.10586.10.
    Is this something I should be worried about?
    Thanks for any help
    Paul

:)

stevenson53, Aug 24, 2016
  2. VL_99 Win User

SppExtComObj.exe -Embedding

Can anyone solved this problem?

Log Name: System

Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM

Date: 4/7/2017 10:24:10 PM

Event ID: 10000

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: NETWORK SERVICE

Computer: dell-pc

Description:

Unable to start a DCOM Server: {3C296D07-90AE-4FAC-86F9-65EAA8B82D22}. The error:

"2"

Happened while starting this command:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\SppExtComObj.exe -Embedding

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM" Guid="{1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}" EventSourceName="DCOM" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">10000</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-04-07T14:24:10.618164200Z" />

<EventRecordID>22050</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="936" ThreadID="8788" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>dell-pc</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-20" />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="param1">C:\WINDOWS\system32\SppExtComObj.exe -Embedding</Data>

<Data Name="param2">2</Data>

<Data Name="param3">{3C296D07-90AE-4FAC-86F9-65EAA8B82D22}</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM

[ Guid] {1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}

[ EventSourceName] DCOM

- EventID 10000

[ Qualifiers] 0

Version 0

Level 2

Task 0

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8080000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2017-04-07T14:24:10.618164200Z

EventRecordID 22050

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 936

[ ThreadID] 8788

Channel System

Computer dell-pc

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-20

- EventData

param1 C:\WINDOWS\system32\SppExtComObj.exe -Embedding

param2 2

param3 {3C296D07-90AE-4FAC-86F9-65EAA8B82D22}

VL_99, Aug 24, 2016
  3. Jane Lla Win User
    SppExtComObj.exe -Embedding

Hello,

The issue that you are facing is more complex than what is typically answered in the Microsoft Answers forums. We suggest posting your query in our
    TechNet Forum, where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on such issues.

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Jane Lla, Aug 24, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

SppExtComObj.Exe

Hi Paul,
    SppExtComObj.Exe is a KMS Connection Broker (Key Management Services by MS).

It's trying to connect to a non-MS server:
    MBAM is correct to block this. If you are using illegal software, I suggest you remove it, then run a custom full scan with MBAM.

simrick, Aug 24, 2016
  5. Thank you for your quick response and I hope nothing is illegal on my machine! I will do a full check with MBAM to make sure all is well and will permanently block this site.
    Thanks!

stevenson53, Aug 24, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    Sounds good. Let us know if it finds anything. *Smile

simrick, Aug 24, 2016
  7. I'm a bit paranoid due to getting a Crypto locker a few months back (I clicked on a bad email drrr and the backup was connected double drrr and it cost me plenty to get the files back that I lost), so ran the following:
    - MBAM
    - Spybot
    - Sophus
    - ESET
    - SFC /scannow
    - Panda
    - CCleaner

Ok some things were found but all seemed to be low risk stuff, missing links, cookies etc but, the website block now doesn't come up so maybe I got it.

I have a feeling that I really should rebuild this computer from scratch, painful as that will be.

Paul

stevenson53, Aug 25, 2016
  8. simrick Win User

SppExtComObj.Exe

Oh dear - I am sorry to hear that. Those are all good programs to run (although I would use SuperAntiSpyware Free over Spybot). I assume now you have only ONE active anti-virus running on the machine?

You might want to add these:
    RKILL

TDSSKiller (Kaspersky-onetime run for rootkits)
    Make sure to tick all the boxes and let the computer reboot so it can run the scan fully.

RKILL (again) Because everything RKILL does is undone by a reboot.

ADWCleaner (will reboot to clean)
    Feel free to post the log after you run it and I'll have a looksee for what's leftover. Usually these crypto malware are easy to clean or even remove themselves after they've delivered their payload.

RKILL again

JRT

Note: RKILL will put a log on your desktop called rkill.txt, and will overwrite it each time you run the scan, so if you want to keep them, rename them rkill01.txt, rkill02.txt, etc.

For future protection against these encryption nasties (and a lot of others), I would make the following recommendations:

One good active anti-virus (ESET is excellent, if you can afford it - usually on sale at Newegg on a regular basis)
    MBAM (free or pro)
    MBAE (free)
    CryptoPrevent Free
    SuperAntiSpyware Free

A file backup system which uses "versioning".
    Alternating backups: 2 drives, one disconnected at all times, and rotate them on a regular basis.

Note: MBAM have an anti-encryption BETA right now, which will eventually be rolled into their paid version of MBAM Pro.

Of course, nothing beats common sense. *Wink But, if you were using, say, gmail, and collecting your emails online using your browser (and not an email client), a lot of this stuff would never even reach your inbox, and if it did, it would likely be flagged. (Not to plug gmail, but they have pretty aggressive email scanning, and ferret out quite a bit, and warn you with other stuff.)

Depending on the infection you had (if you know the name, or can provide all scan logs), I could research it to see if it warrants a clean install.

simrick, Aug 25, 2016
  9. Thanks again and you are being a big help. The cryptolocker cost me US$1200 in ransom and computer expert help and a full week of down time. I didn't know anything about Bitcoin, I do now!
    I have paid for ESET and also run MBAM free and their BETA anti encryption program.
    i will give the other suggested programs a go too although it might take a few days to do it all.
    i have been using Second Copy 8 for backup. I like it because it's simple and saves the files in their normal format so that I can get at them easily. Since the cyptolocker, I have 3 backups, 2 daily that I rotate and a master weekend one which backups both my data disk and an OS image. I work from home BTW. I have been having problems with this program recently as well as other weird things. Do you know another good easy to use backup software which saves files as they are. I have a lot of very big Outlook files and even if I don't open them, they get backed up anyway because outlook loads them and this is seen as a changed file by SC8.
    My current thought is to uninstall SC8 and some other troublesome programs, then do a Windows 10 repai install, run all the scans, then reload the problem programs. I expect that it hasn't helped messing with the registry lol.
    Your thoughts please?
    thanks again!

stevenson53, Aug 25, 2016
  10. simrick Win User
    Ouch! You're lucky you got your files back - some of these creeps take the money and run.

Great. When they roll that into their paid version, it may be worth looking at a subscription.

No problem. Actually, they all run pretty quickly. But, no rush.

That sounds like a good setup. *Smile

Hmmm... I am not familiar with Second Copy 8 - have never used it. I do know that Macrium Reflect Free allows you to mount the images and even extract specific files from the images (just did this on a system I was working on that wouldn't boot). I personally have 2 backup schemes in addition to my Operating System backup, (for which I use Macrium): CrashPlan and Robocopy. CrashPlan compresses and provides versioning, while Robocopy is basically a copy function (so data is in original state). But, you really could do everything with Macrium, and backups would be smaller since they're compressed, and can be verified as they're made. Really, since you can extract files from the images, it makes things quite nice. You can also set it up for incremental and differential images, although I don't do that - I always make full images (makes life easier if I have to restore).

Here's some info on it:
    Solved Tell your backup software, win Macrium Reflect Home license! - Windows 10 Forums

To get started with system imaging, see these tutorials:

simrick, Aug 25, 2016
  11. simrick Win User
    Was it really Cryptolocker that you had? or Torrentlocker? or something else? Because Cryptolocker was taken down, and a possible decryption scheme was released (for free). Torrentlocker made copies of your data, encrypted it, and then deleted the original, so many people got their data back by using recovery software or ShadowExplorer. Just curious - not that it makes any difference now...*Sad

simrick, Aug 25, 2016
  12. I already use macrium for the weekly OS disk image although I use SC8 for backing up the weekly data disk. In fact I restored the operating system 2 weeks ago from a macrium image and that worked well. As for the data file backup, I just like to see the actual files are there. I'll have a look at robocopy and see what that's all about thanks.

stevenson53, Aug 26, 2016
  13. SppExtComObj.Exe

It cerainly said it was cryptolocker and looked like it. Australia where I am has been targeted with this malware this year with lots being affected. This is where I got mine from in May:

Thousands targeted by 'ransomware' email scam which copies AGL Energy bills

Fortunately it didn't jump to the second machine in the network as we didn't have the share as a drive letter and I managed to stop the process with spyhunter (which I don't use now) when I saw it happening. The encryption started at A and did my account files first and was half way through my archive files when I stopped it. It deleted all restore points first and as I had the backup connected it infected that at exactly the same time. This is how I learnt the hard way re a single permanently connected backup drive. Happy with my backup setup now (will ditch SC8 if it doesn't start behaving properly and support doesn't get back to me) but my machine has had a few problems in the last couple of weeks, hence why I am here in the first place, probably nothing to do with the cryptolocker but like I said, I'm paranoid now lol.
    Ok I will let you know how I go.

14. Just checked out Robocopy and not sure that's for me or my misses. For daily backup with SC8 you can set it up to backup each time you shut down and it will switch the computer off after the backup is complete. It's a simple single click on the program icon.

15. simrick Win User
    Okay, try this: Open Macrium, in the Restore Tab, navigate to one of your backups, select Browse Image, select partition C, notice the drive letter it will assign when it mounts it as a virtual drive. Go to file explorer and have a look at that virtual drive - you'll see all your files in their "natural state", which could then be copied from there to someplace you want at any time.

Okay I just read that article link and I noticed:
    You said you had a professional IT person working on your system, so they made sure it was clean right? Or, did they completely reinstall the operating system? What are the problems you're having with the system?
    Just for the record: Spyhunter has a less-than-stellar reputation in the industry.

Yes, Robocopy...I believe it can be setup to run using Task Scheduler (I haven't gotten around to that yet myself).

simrick, Aug 26, 2016
Thema:

SppExtComObj.Exe

1. SppExtComObj.Exe - Similar Threads - SppExtComObj Exe

2. Can't install or uninstall programs. dw20.exe pops up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't install or uninstall programs. dw20.exe pops up: Since recently everytime I try to install or uninstall something a popup saying "dw20.exe Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?"And whether I say yes or no, it does nothing. Can't install or uninstall programs at all...
  3. Can't install or uninstall programs. dw20.exe pops up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't install or uninstall programs. dw20.exe pops up: Since recently everytime I try to install or uninstall something a popup saying "dw20.exe Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?"And whether I say yes or no, it does nothing. Can't install or uninstall programs at all...
  4. pendrive with an .exe file inside, need to recover files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pendrive with an .exe file inside, need to recover files: I don't have Kaspersky antivirus software. I recently plugged an pendrive which had an .exe file inside. on opening the application a new window with the contents of the pendrive. the problem arised after that. my pc started creating .exe file in any external storege device i...
  5. pendrive with an .exe file inside, need to recover files

pendrive with an .exe file inside, need to recover files: I don't have Kaspersky antivirus software. I recently plugged an pendrive which had an .exe file inside. on opening the application a new window with the contents of the pendrive. the problem arised after that. my pc started creating .exe file in any external storege device i...
  6. Exe related

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Exe related: Can anybody tell me does ARPPRODUCTION.EXE IS A Part of windows for software installation. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/exe-related/8b6bb44c-7788-4b3d-abc2-4d6492d483e4
  7. Exe related

Exe related: Can anybody tell me does ARPPRODUCTION.EXE IS A Part of windows for software installation. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/exe-related/8b6bb44c-7788-4b3d-abc2-4d6492d483e4
  8. Windows Defender SmartScreen warning dialog doesn't show when running .exe files. .exe...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender SmartScreen warning dialog doesn't show when running .exe files. .exe...: I am getting the exact same issue as this thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-smartscreen-warning-prompt-no/8aa0289b-c9f3-4430-ac6e-3e0a90e58d3c Unlike the original poster, however, my "Choose where to get Apps" was set to...
  9. Windows Defender SmartScreen warning dialog doesn't show when running .exe files. .exe...

Windows Defender SmartScreen warning dialog doesn't show when running .exe files. .exe...: I am getting the exact same issue as this thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-smartscreen-warning-prompt-no/8aa0289b-c9f3-4430-ac6e-3e0a90e58d3c Unlike the original poster, however, my "Choose where to get Apps" was set to...
  10. KMS conection broker descrição SppExtComObj

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    KMS conection broker descrição SppExtComObj: Olá, a alguns dias percebi que quando eu ligava o computar aprecia uma tarefa chamada broker de conexão KMS descrição:SppExtComObj localizada no sistema de massas 33 dps de alguns segundos ele desaparecia do gerenciador de tarefas, queria saber se é um arquivo legivel ou um...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 3c296d07-90ae-4fac-86f9-65eaa8b82d22

2. Unable to start a DCOM Server: {3C296D07-90AE-4FAC-86F9-65EAA8B82D22

3. id evento 10000 SppExtComObj.exe

4. Unable to start a DCOM Server: {3C296D07-90AE-4FAC-86F9-65EAA8B82D22}. ,
  5. sppextcomobj.exe dcom server