Windows 10: Spurious Update

Discus and support Spurious Update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; On both computers, Windows 10 keeps trying to install an update for a Brother printer; this has been going on for a few days. The updater shows that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Not Myself, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Spurious Update

On both computers, Windows 10 keeps trying to install an update for a Brother printer; this has been going on for a few days. The updater shows that the update is ready, so when I tell Windows to install it, it starts and immediately quits. If I then check for updates, the miscreant update is again ready to install.

My ten-pound sledge hammer would stop this, but a less destructive method, if such an entity exists, would be preferable, so if you know of one, would you kindly share that esoteric knowledge with me.

Today's news: I am not sure what fixed the problem, but it is gone. I think it may have been due to there having been a second icon for the printer in the Control Panel, which I deleted after restoring the wireless connection to the printer.

New Subject:

Power failure last night, which led me to the discovery that hibernation is disabled in Windows 10, so I have turned it on and restored the listing for it in the Shut down or sign out pop-up from the Start Window. I also notified APC that PowerChute Personal Edition, the software for their UPS devices, does not, under Windows 10, notify the user that hibernation is not active, unlike the way it doe under Windows 7. They replied that they have not yet done testing with Windows 10, and will notify me when they have any news.

:)

Not Myself, Jul 31, 2015

2. HTTPS sessions are being dropped when ip address changes, since last windows 10 update

Thank you for your help.

I found out that it was a problem with our router and the connection with the latest update was spurious.

AnneClarke1, Jul 31, 2015
  3. kg415 Win User
    Spurious "There is no email program associated to perform the requested action" pop-ups

Didn't fix the problem with Indexing Options -> Modify. I'm no longer seeing the spurious pop-ups, but it's not clear this was fixed by resetting defaults -- may have been fixed e.g. by a
    system update.

kg415, Jul 31, 2015
Thema:

Spurious Update

1. Spurious Update - Similar Threads - Spurious Update

2. Spurious warnings about Windows Update settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Spurious warnings about Windows Update settings: I habitually set my Windows Updates so that I am notified only, and can then choose when/whether to download & install.Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install themRecently I have been getting what seem to be spurious warnings about Windows Update...
  3. Spurious warnings about Windows Update settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Spurious warnings about Windows Update settings: I habitually set my Windows Updates so that I am notified only, and can then choose when/whether to download & install.Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install themRecently I have been getting what seem to be spurious warnings about Windows Update...
  4. Spurious additional keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Spurious additional keyboard: Hello,I have Windows 11 and I have the following language & region settings:Windows Display Language:English USPreferred languages:* German Germany* English USCountry or region:SwitzerlandRegional format:German GermanyI get the following keyboards:German Germany with German...
  5. Spurious additional keyboard

Spurious additional keyboard: Hello,I have Windows 11 and I have the following language & region settings:Windows Display Language:English USPreferred languages:* German Germany* English USCountry or region:SwitzerlandRegional format:German GermanyI get the following keyboards:German Germany with German...
  6. Xbox App wont switch accounts! Error: the background task activation is spurious

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Xbox App wont switch accounts! Error: the background task activation is spurious: I am trying to login to the account that I merged my Minecraft w/ and my Windows keeps defaulting to another one of my Xbox accounts I have. I try to switch the account using the switch button and I get the error: the background task activation is spurious. Please Help! I...
  7. Xbox App wont switch accounts! Error: the background task activation is spurious

Xbox App wont switch accounts! Error: the background task activation is spurious: I am trying to login to the account that I merged my Minecraft w/ and my Windows keeps defaulting to another one of my Xbox accounts I have. I try to switch the account using the switch button and I get the error: the background task activation is spurious. Please Help! I...
  8. Tracing the source spurious of logon attempts emmanating from a desktop PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tracing the source spurious of logon attempts emmanating from a desktop PC: I'm stumped on this. It's been plaguing my desktop for a year or more and I'm getting Wazuh reports about it. The symptom is perhaps best summarised by an anonymised Security log entry:A logon was attempted using explicit credentials.Subject: Security ID: NULL SID Account...
  9. Tracing the source spurious of logon attempts emmanating from a desktop PC

Tracing the source spurious of logon attempts emmanating from a desktop PC: I'm stumped on this. It's been plaguing my desktop for a year or more and I'm getting Wazuh reports about it. The symptom is perhaps best summarised by an anonymised Security log entry:A logon was attempted using explicit credentials.Subject: Security ID: NULL SID Account...
  10. Tracing the source spurious of logon attempts emmanating from a desktop PC

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Spurious Windiws Update?