Windows 10: SQL Server 2014 Fail to install

Discus and support SQL Server 2014 Fail to install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello all, Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to give. I am installing Microsoft SQL Server 2014 on a Lenovo ThinkPad P73... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ethan Wright wrighte, Jan 14, 2021.

1. SQL Server 2014 Fail to install

Hello all,

Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to give.

I am installing Microsoft SQL Server 2014 on a

• Lenovo ThinkPad P73
    • Windows 10 Pro for workstations - 1909

When I attempt to install it fails with this error:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Setup

------------------------------

The following error has occurred:

Service 'SQL Server VSS Writer' SQLWriter failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Click 'Retry' to retry the failed action, or click 'Cancel' to cancel this action and continue setup.

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=20476&ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=12.0.2000.8&EvtType=0xF45F6601%25401201%25401

------------------------------

BUTTONS:

&Retry

Cancel

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I checked the "SQL Server VSS Writer" service.

• The service is not running.
    • It is set to log on as Local System Account

When I try to start the service the error I get is:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows could not start the SQL server Writer service on the local computer.

Error 1053: the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am locally logged in with the local Admin account and running the install and Administrator.

Please let me know if someone has an idea of what to do, or if I need to post logs.

Let me know where the logs are located.

:)

Ethan Wright wrighte, Jan 14, 2021
  2. Dyan Rey Win User

SQL server 2014

Hello,

Incorrect user permissions is one of the possible reasons why you're having challenges in downloading SQL server 2014. We suggest that you check this
    link. This page contains information on how to obtain the latest service pack for SQL
    Server 2014.

Let us know how else we may help you.  

Dyan Rey, Jan 14, 2021
  3. Brink Win User
    Cumulative Update #10 for SQL Server 2014 SP1

Source: Cumulative Update #10 for SQL Server 2014 SP1 | SQL Server Release Services

Brink, Jan 14, 2021
  4. Brink Win User

SQL Server 2014 Fail to install

Cumulative Update #3 for SQL Server 2014 SP2

Source: Cumulative Update #3 for SQL Server 2014 SP2 | SQL Server Release Services

Brink, Jan 14, 2021
Thema:

SQL Server 2014 Fail to install

1. SQL Server 2014 Fail to install - Similar Threads - SQL Server 2014

2. Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Feature Pack

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Feature Pack: A few questions about this software. Does the software/application require administrator rights, or other privileges, to operate?Does the software require and/or install any service accounts from the vendor?Does the software require Ports, Protocols and Services?Thank you!...
  3. Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Feature Pack

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Feature Pack: A few questions about this software. Does the software/application require administrator rights, or other privileges, to operate?Does the software require and/or install any service accounts from the vendor?Does the software require Ports, Protocols and Services?Thank you!...
  4. SQL Server 2014 License?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SQL Server 2014 License?: Hello, How do I obtain SQL server 2014 license? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sql-server-2014-license/6a0809b4-95d7-4c94-a61d-f86067f2d7b4
  5. SQL Server 2014 License?

SQL Server 2014 License?: Hello, How do I obtain SQL server 2014 license? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sql-server-2014-license/6a0809b4-95d7-4c94-a61d-f86067f2d7b4
  6. SQL Server 2014 preinstall to Win10 1809

SQL Server 2014 preinstall to Win10 1809: Hi, anyone knows if it is possible to some how preinstall SQL Server 2014 to Windows 10, so it is preinstalled but not configured? And when needed, it is fast to configure and take it to in use. Also it is needed to be installed via SCCM Task Sequence to a machine which is...
  7. SQL Server Express 2017 Installation Fails

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SQL Server Express 2017 Installation Fails: Hi I am trying to install SQL Server 2017 Express on my Laptop on which I am an Administrator. It just fails with: Unable to install SQL Server setup.exe. Exit code Decimal: -2068052310Error description: An installation package for the product Microsoft SQL Server...
  8. SQL Server 2014 - Ring Buffer Connectivity Errors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SQL Server 2014 - Ring Buffer Connectivity Errors: Hi Team, We have SQL server 2014 SP3 installed on client machine and we have been facing a lot of performance issues related to application. Upon further investigation we found that there are huge number of "Network error code 0x%x occurred while establishing a connection;...
  9. Cumulative Update #3 for SQL Server 2014 SP2

in Windows 10 News
    Cumulative Update #3 for SQL Server 2014 SP2: The 3rd cumulative update release for SQL Server 2014 SP2 is now available for download at the Microsoft Downloads site. Please note that registration is no longer required to download Cumulative updates. To learn more about the release or servicing model, please visit:...
  10. Cumulative Update #10 for SQL Server 2014 SP1

in Windows 10 News
    Cumulative Update #10 for SQL Server 2014 SP1: The 10th cumulative update release for SQL Server 2014 SP1 is now available for download at the Microsoft Downloads site. Please note that registration is no longer required to download Cumulative updates. To learn more about the release or servicing model, please visit:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Why Sql 2014 Not Install On Windows 10