Windows 10: SQL Server Managment Studio Cannot Install Due to ODBC Driver 17

Discus and support SQL Server Managment Studio Cannot Install Due to ODBC Driver 17 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I have been trying to install SSMS on a new windows 10 system for about a week now. This issue I am having is that the installer says another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jason{32}, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Jason{32} Win User

SQL Server Managment Studio Cannot Install Due to ODBC Driver 17

Hello,

I have been trying to install SSMS on a new windows 10 system for about a week now. This issue I am having is that the installer says another installation is already pending and needs the system to restart to complete installation. After some digging I found that it says ODBC Driver 17 is the pending installation. I have restarted numerous times and it still will not finish installation. I found another post on this site with the same issue and they were sent a link to download this tool

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-installed-or-removed

However when I try to download this tool I get a 404 error. Any help resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Jason{32}, Sep 2, 2020

2. Failed SQL Server ODBC Data Source Test

I'm working on a homework assignment for a beginner database class and I'm very confused. I'm not very good with computers and part of my confusion is that the textbook discusses all the steps based on Windows 7 & older versions of programs, when I have
    Windows 10 & Office 2016. I'm not even sure if I have all the programs installed that I need. I think I have my SQL Server set up correctly, but the ODBC Data Source Test always fails. It says:

Attempting connection

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server]SQL Server Network Interfaces: Error Locating Server/Instance Specified [xFFFFFFFF].

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server]Login timeout expired

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server]A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow
    remote connections. For more information see SQL Server Books Online.

TESTS FAILED!

How do I fix this? What programs am I supposed to have installed to make a SQL server? I'm trying to link it to an Access Database so I can make a web page. Thank you for any help.

sweetcat113, Sep 2, 2020
  3. washingon Win User
    How to fix endless reboot loop installing Microsoft ODBC Driver 17 - message: A previous installation required a reboot of the machine for changes to take effect.

Installing Microsoft® ODBC Driver 17 on windows 10.
    During the install, Microsoft ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server setup stops and shows "A previous installation required a reboot of the machine for changes to take effect. To proceed, restart your computer then run Setup again.
    rebooted but not fixed.
    4 reboots and then tried install again. Same issue.

Microsoft ODBC 13 driver installs and uninstalls without any issues.

windows 10 updated to current. No pending install/updates.

washingon, Sep 2, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

Announcing SQL Server Management Studio – 16.5.1 Release

Source: Announcing SQL Server Management Studio 16.5.1 Release | SQL Server Release Services

Brink, Sep 2, 2020
Thema:

1. SQL Server Managment Studio Cannot Install Due to ODBC Driver 17 - Similar Threads - SQL Server Managment

2. Failed setup of Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failed setup of Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio: Hi,I am trying to install SSMS locally in order to connect to an Azure SQL Database. The installation does not work as displayed below, how can I resolve this issue?...
  3. Failed setup of Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failed setup of Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio: Hi,I am trying to install SSMS locally in order to connect to an Azure SQL Database. The installation does not work as displayed below, how can I resolve this issue?...
  4. Error while installing Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Error while installing Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio: I want to install SQL Sever in windows 10, however it shows that it requires .NET Framework 2.0 but when I am trying gto install .NET, it shows that my operating system already has .NET Framework 4.5 or higher version. I am not able to understand how to resolve this. Can...
  5. Error while installing Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error while installing Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio: I want to install SQL Sever in windows 10, however it shows that it requires .NET Framework 2.0 but when I am trying gto install .NET, it shows that my operating system already has .NET Framework 4.5 or higher version. I am not able to understand how to resolve this. Can...
  6. Error while installing Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. SQL management studio v17.9.1

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    SQL management studio v17.9.1: I got this restoring stuck here for our testing database. can't log into our ERP system right now. How to stop and don't lose anything? urgent help. [ATTACH] THANK YOU!...
  8. Unable to install SQL server management studio 2012 or 2016

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to install SQL server management studio 2012 or 2016: This occurred after uninstalling SSMS and manually deleting appdata, temp files and programedata to remove SSMS completely. Now when i try to reinstall the application. This will popup. [ATTACH] Error in detail-> See the end of this message for details on invoking...
  9. sql server management studio

in Windows 10 Customization
    sql server management studio: Hi! I have been using an electronic health record system for the past 10 years. I am retiring soon but will still need access to the 'ehr' information for 7 years. The people who run the program that I use tell me that the information is in sql. I have a choice how to access...
  10. Announcing SQL Server Management Studio – 16.5.1 Release

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing SQL Server Management Studio – 16.5.1 Release: Today, we are pleased to announce the latest generally-available (GA) quality release of SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) 16.5.1. This update fixes a couple issues listed below. Get it here: Download SSMS 16.5.1 release The version number for the latest release is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. مشکل چیست Microsoft ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server: A previous installation required a reboot of the machine for changes to take effect. To proceed restart your computer and then run Setup again.