Windows 10: Square line in desktop icons

Discus and support Square line in desktop icons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello! I'm not sure if this is a bug or just an issue affect my PC, but every icon on my desktop has a square-shaped line on the bottom left. In the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RobertoSAGuedes, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Square line in desktop icons

Hello! I'm not sure if this is a bug or just an issue affect my PC, but every icon on my desktop has a square-shaped line on the bottom left. In the attached image, you can see Steam games, but it affects other shortcuts as well (I just tested with Word, for example).

Is this known? If so, any possible solutions?

Square line in desktop icons [​IMG]

:)

RobertoSAGuedes, Oct 21, 2015

2. icons

Drag any of the "square" icons you want from the start menu to the desktop and then right click on the original square icon and remove it.

Bruce Hagen, Oct 21, 2015
  3. Windows 10 desktop Icons are blotted with small black square

Original title: My desktop Icons are blotted out with a small black square in them in Windows 10

My desktop Icons are blotted out with a small black square in them in Windows 10

MarianneCusick, Oct 21, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Square line in desktop icons

Not seeing anything in the picture you posted.

Ztruker, Oct 22, 2015
  5. This is normal and should disappear if you move the cursor off the icon into an empty space on the desktop and left click once. Or, just move off the icon with cursor.

lopedoggie, Oct 22, 2015
  6. Using Paint.NET's brush, I painted over the lines in all three icons. Can you see it now, comparing both pictures? If I were to guess, this line was supposed to cover the whole icon, but it doesn't.

RobertoSAGuedes, Oct 22, 2015
  7. Not the same. That would actually cover the whole icon, like this:

This happens in every icon on my desktop, even when not highlighted or with the cursor in the way.

8. Square line in desktop icons

Uninstall and then reinstall graphics driver with the latest driver. If you already have the latest driver, just uninstall it through device manager and reboot the computer, it will install the graphics driver for you again and this may correct the problem.

lopedoggie, Oct 22, 2015
  9. OK, I will try that. Since it's extremely late now, I'll do it tomorrow and see what happens. Until then, just another information I just remembered: back in August, I tried a bigger size of text, apps and others on the Display Settings, but quickly reverted it. I'm not sure if I had this issue before that, but I wonder if that could be related somehow? Right now, I'm back to the 100% setting.

10. fracking4oil, Oct 22, 2015
  11. This is caused by using certain tweaking tools/software or registry hacks to remove the shortcut arrow. Sometimes the software or reg/hack will remove the arrow but leave the transparent overlay (which is the thin blue square you see). I think I used winaero tweaker to remove my shortcut arrow without leaving the blue squares. Or, you could try this. Good luck.

dnasystems, Oct 22, 2015
  12. Oh, this worked. Thank you so much!

RobertoSAGuedes, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Square line in desktop icons

1. Square line in desktop icons - Similar Threads - Square line desktop

2. Constant black square over desktop icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Constant black square over desktop icons: Hello, I have 2 computers that are constantly facing the same exact issues. Everytime I boot them, my desktop icons have black squares on them. There are quick fixes I have found that just put a bandaid on the problem such as using disk cleanup to delete temporary files and...
  3. Constant black square over desktop icons

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Constant black square over desktop icons: Hello, I have 2 computers that are constantly facing the same exact issues. Everytime I boot them, my desktop icons have black squares on them. There are quick fixes I have found that just put a bandaid on the problem such as using disk cleanup to delete temporary files and...
  4. small square icon with circle and line through the circle on screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    small square icon with circle and line through the circle on screen: Can;t move it, remove it, clicking on it does nothing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/small-square-icon-with-circle-and-line-through-the/c247618f-1945-4820-a30d-d099345a3844
  5. small square icon with circle and line through the circle on screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    small square icon with circle and line through the circle on screen: Can;t move it, remove it, clicking on it does nothing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/small-square-icon-with-circle-and-line-through-the/c247618f-1945-4820-a30d-d099345a3844
  6. Black squares instead of normal desktop icons

Black squares instead of normal desktop icons: All of of sudden SOME of my desktop icons/for files now are black boxes ith a green check. I don't want the green check and the black box is a new issue.* Moved from Community Participation Center...
  7. PDF icons on desktop are black squares

PDF icons on desktop are black squares: Adobe Acrobat PDF icons have turned black on the desktop.I have tried numerous fixes - none seem to holdOne was to go to Control Panel - Admin Tools - and run Cleanupgo back to desktop and right click Refreshthis works to get rid of the black icons, but then they come right...
  8. Desktop icons are black squares

Desktop icons are black squares: For a couple weeks now, I have been stuck with these annoying icon thumbnails, and I have run out of ideas to fix the problem. Essentially, when I turn on my computer, all icons on my desktop and only my desktop that are not native to windows appear as these black squares. In...
  9. PDF icons on desktop turn into black squares

in Windows 10 Support
    PDF icons on desktop turn into black squares: Hi all. My Windows 10 Pro x64 computer (v. 10.0.19042, Build 19042) has developed an odd problem. The desktop icon for PDF files (a wallpaper image of the first page of the file), turns to black after a period of time. If I right-click on the desktop, select "Display...
  10. Desktop icons with blank square

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons with blank square: Installed W10 8 days ago Today after a restart some of my desktop icons have a white square in front of them I made the view on large icons , normaly i use smal then only the white square is showing I tryed an icon-cache-rebuild without success Solved by restoring a...