Windows 10: SRT files keep opening in Browser

Discus and support SRT files keep opening in Browser in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So, when I download an srt file it keeps opening up in my browser. I am trying to set it so it stops doing that but, I honestly don't know how. I used... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sara209, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Sara209 Win User

SRT files keep opening in Browser

So, when I download an srt file it keeps opening up in my browser. I am trying to set it so it stops doing that but, I honestly don't know how. I used SRT files with my VLC player so can someone help me figure out how to stop having the SRT files open in Firefox?

I have looked up this problem and these were some of the steps someone suggested. However when I get to step 5 I'm unable to move forward. I can only click on the browser name and it gives me two options, Open with Firefox or Look for an App in the Microsoft store. I don't want it opening in a program I just want it to use on my VLC.

1. If you cannot see file extensions already, go to Windows File Explorer, on the View Ribbon, check the box marked ''File Name Extensions', close Windows File Explorer
    2. On your Desktop, right click an empty part and choose New - Text Document, name the document XXX.exe and make sure you remove the .txt file extension
    3. Open Control Panel, click the Default Programs Applet
    4. Click Associate a file type or protocol with a program and let the list build
    5. In the left list scroll down to .srt, select this entry and click 'Change Program'
    6. In the resulting list, click 'More Apps' and at the bottom of the list click 'Look for another app on this PC'
    7. Navigate to the file you created on your desktop XXX.exe
    8. The list will rebuild and the association will be made
    9. Close all Control Panel windows
    10. Delete the file you created on your Desktop
    11. Now .srt files will revert to 'Unknown file type'

:)

Sara209, Feb 2, 2021

2. .srt file opens in Notepad

its open in notepad way , the file format in srt

seemon stark, Feb 2, 2021
  3. .srt file opens in Notepad

Hi, Seemon.

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Before we proceed, I would like you to provide the information stated below:

1. Does the srt file open in notepad when you click on it?

2. Is the file format of the document in .srt or .txt?

I would suggest that you right click on the file, click on Properties and check the file format of the document. Any
    srt file ideally opens in notepad if you directly click on the file, this is the nature of the document itself. However if the format is in
    .txt it means that you may have made some unknown changes to the file and saved it as a notepad document.

Hope this information helps

Vanessa Sohtun, Feb 2, 2021
  4. SRT files keep opening in Browser

Unable to open SRT Files with the default application.

So I recently reinstalled windows 10 and activated them. After this update I cant seem to set the default app for SRT files to be the WordPad app. The SRT files are being stored in 4 TB mechanical drive that I didn't modify by any means before or after the
    upgrade. So every time I need to open an SRT file I have to choose the WordPad and even though I state that I want to use the WordPad as the default app for SRT files nothing changes. I have tried changing this option through the "choose default apps by file
    type" option in default apps in the settings but I cant seem to find the SRT file type in the list. Any help is appreciated.

***Edited Original Title from SRT Files***

AristeidisDedes, Feb 2, 2021
Thema:

SRT files keep opening in Browser

1. SRT files keep opening in Browser - Similar Threads - SRT files keep

2. Open file location opens OneDrive in a browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Open file location opens OneDrive in a browser: Recently, I've noticed that when I right-click on a file and select "Open file location" in File Explorer, Windows does not open it in File Explorer as it used to, but it launches my default browser and opens this folder in the OneDrive Web App. I have no idea how to set it...
  3. Open file location opens OneDrive in a browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open file location opens OneDrive in a browser: Recently, I've noticed that when I right-click on a file and select "Open file location" in File Explorer, Windows does not open it in File Explorer as it used to, but it launches my default browser and opens this folder in the OneDrive Web App. I have no idea how to set it...
  4. how to remove srt files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to remove srt files: how to remove srt files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-srt-files/b40d7143-c18a-442f-baf8-1cee1017d811
  5. how to remove srt files

how to remove srt files: how to remove srt files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-srt-files/b40d7143-c18a-442f-baf8-1cee1017d811
  6. SRT files keeps asking me what program I want to use to open title changed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SRT files keeps asking me what program I want to use to open title changed: I followed the directions below and Now when I download an SRT it just keeps asking me what program I want to associated with this file. I don't want a program to open this. How do I get it to stop asking me? If you cannot see file extensions already, go to Windows File...
  7. SUBTITLE FILES -srt files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SUBTITLE FILES -srt files: Good day Yesterday I tried to play a subtitle to a movie I was viewing but it didn't work when checking the sub it views a blank tile when I right click it says its a srt file and that its unable to be used on windows 10 after I upgraded. This was never a problem before I...
  8. Can't set notepad to open .srt files by default

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't set notepad to open .srt files by default: Hi ! Strange problem I have... I used to always open .srt files (mainly movie subtitles) with the notepad, but I installed a new application (a media player called PotPlayer). It became the default application for .srt files, but I just can't make the notepad to be the...
  9. SRT files type changed!

SRT files type changed!: Hi, i installed KMplayer mins ago and it changed the type of SRT files! i need to make the notepad the default program as previous, how can i did this [ATTACH] i tried to chose it from here and nothing won't change! and i wesnt to setting - default apps - choose...
  10. Browser opening

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Browser opening: Good morning, I have a question I have a 32 bit hp pc and a 64 bit hp pc on my desktop when I click my Firefox Icon for my browser to open it takes 25 seconds for my 64 bit browser to open and 8 seconds for my 32 bit browser to open.and I have both browsers setup the same and...