Windows 10: srvnet keeping computer awake even when not sharing files

Discus and support srvnet keeping computer awake even when not sharing files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So my computer (let's call it "Server") won't sleep because of srvnet as shown by cmd --> powercfg /requests. It only started recently but I don't know... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by iNoob, Jan 31, 2017.

1. iNoob Win User

srvnet keeping computer awake even when not sharing files

So my computer (let's call it "Server") won't sleep because of srvnet as shown by cmd --> powercfg /requests. It only started recently but I don't know what caused it to do this.

I have always had folders on Server shared with other computers ("Clients") on the network. Server used to go to sleep after Clients finished streaming movies from it but not anymore; Server just stays awake forever until I manually tell it to Sleep or shut down.

I can't disable srvnet as some tutorials on here have recommended. If I do that then Server sleeps just fine but it will go to sleep even when there's Clients streaming from it.

Is there a way to find out what srvnet is doing that's keeping the computer awake? This is getting very frustrating!! I would much rather not do a system restore or format/reinstall as it's a pain to get everything set up again.

Thanks in advance!

:)

iNoob, Jan 31, 2017
  2. AlecMak Win User

srvnet prevent sleep

[DRIVER] \FileSystem\srvnet

An active remote client has recently sent requests to this machine.

This constantly keeping my PC awake. if i do this the pc will go to sleep

powercfg -requestsoverride DRIVER "\FileSystem\srvnet" SYSTEM

but then, i do not want the pc to goto sleep when this appear

[DRIVER] \FileSystem\srvnet

An active remote client has files opened on this machine.

how can i keep my pc awake when a file is open, but sleep when there is just a request.

Moved From: Windows /

Windows 10
    /
    Network & internet
    /
    PC

AlecMak, Jan 31, 2017
  3. makkos23 Win User
    Computer does not sleep anymore (\FileSystem\srvnet)

I used a script that checks every 10 seconds if srvnet is on or not

[21:38:40,14] no srvnet detected

# accessed network share #

[21:38:50,21] srvnet detected CANNOT sleep

# 5 minutes later #

[21:43:10,15] no srvnet detected

# I'm on rdp so it did not go to sleep #

# waited a bit and accessed share again #

[21:45:00,15] srvnet detected CANNOT sleep

# 5 minutes later #

[21:49:40,25] no srvnet detected

# this time i let it go to sleep (see time difference)#

[21:53:40,12] no srvnet detected

[21:54:24,69] srvnet check triggered

[21:54:26,68] no srvnet detected

[21:54:36,14] srvnet check triggered

[21:54:36,14] srvnet detected CANNOT sleep <-- I did not access a network share

# from this point on srvnet does not disappear anymore #

[22:01:56,20] srvnet detected CANNOT sleep

[22:02:06,15] srvnet detected CANNOT sleep

[22:02:16,24] srvnet detected CANNOT sleep

[22:11:06,17] srvnet detected CANNOT sleep

[22:20:16,23] srvnet detected CANNOT sleep

[22:24:16,22] srvnet detected CANNOT go to sleep

I did this 4 times and the problem was reproduceable

So the problem seems to come from going to sleep once, after that it will not sleep again.

edit: I changed the power settings to go into hibernate(Where the LED doesn't blink) instead of Sleep(where the LED blinks) and it seems to work totally fine now. I tried changing it back to Sleep but srvnet did not disappear again so sleep stopped working.

Why does Hibernate work but Sleep not?

tl;dr

After sleeping once, srvnet doesn't disappear and does not go to sleep again

Hibernating works fine.

makkos23, Jan 31, 2017
  4. srvnet keeping computer awake even when not sharing files

Welcome to the TenForums @iNoob

First thing I would do, knowing what Power Management options you changed, I would enter Power Management and restore defaults. I would then shutdown windows, holding shift key down and click on Shutdown.

On restart I would go back into Power Management and reset options to your preferences.

As a tool, Process Explorer, part of Sysinternals may shed some light. Its free so no harm done. Only download from technet.microsoft.com

Caledon Ken, Feb 2, 2017
  5. iNoob Win User
    Thanks, Caledon. It's good to be here.

I tried resetting power management settings to default, shift + shut down, start computer and setting power management to my preferences again (didn't change anything except sleep time to 1 min so that I don't have to wait a long time). It didn't work.

Downloaded Process Explorer and didn't see anything suspicious.

Thanks for trying, I might just wipe Windows and reinstall in the future. For the mean time I'll just have to live with manually putting the computer to sleep...

iNoob, Feb 5, 2017
  6. Well lets see if a full energy report will yield any more info.

At a Command Prompt (admin) type the following command

powercfg /energy /output %userprofile%\desktop\Energy.html

(There is a space between the word output and the percent sign.) This will put the energy html report on your desktop. Double click to open.

Caledon Ken, Feb 5, 2017
  7. iNoob Win User
    First thing in the report:
    Errors
    System Availability Requests:System Required Request
    The device or driver has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.
    Driver Name
    \FileSystem\srvnet

All the other computers in the house are off. Is there a way to attach the Energy HTML file? It's a pretty big report. It's not allowing me to upload the file saying invalid format.

By the way, here are some things that I did around the time when this issue started occurring. I don't remember exactly when it started so this happened over several weeks.

- New graphics card: GTX 1060 (upgraded from onboard Intel)
    - Installed some games that I...borrowed from a friend. (Could this be the cause)?
    - Tried to install Java for something (I know, it's stupid, should never have done it) and f***ing Yahoo bullshit got installed with it. Should not have clicked "Next" repeatedly. Removed everything as far as I know.
    - Installed Malwarebytes and did a scan of the computer, only found remnants of Yahoo crap. Wiped it all.
    - Some Windows updates as they come.

iNoob, Feb 5, 2017
  8. srvnet keeping computer awake even when not sharing files

If you enter report and Select all, CRTL + A, you should be able to paste into Notepad.

Of the stuff you listed I'm thinking something it has to do with GTX1060. That changed actual drivers.

That said, and I don't play games, they could also be issue. You would have to search game by game with sleep and srvnet included in search term. Maybe one of them needs to talk to mothership.

If its a game issue, that being "Borrowed" against company usage policies, forum members by rules can't help.

Caledon Ken, Feb 5, 2017
  9. iNoob Win User
    Ok, I'll keep trying different things and will report back if I solve this. Thanks for your help.

Here's the text file of the Energy Report. Energy.txt

iNoob, Feb 5, 2017
  10. So I searched on the device id'ed in report PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CB1 and not sleeping and got a lot of hits.

This is a long thread with ideas. Mentions monitor so we might be back to card installation, talks to BIOS (did you load defaults when you installed, even a cmos reset by removing battery) , and real unplugged power down etc.

Windows 10 won't go to sleep automatically - Microsoft Community

Caledon Ken, Feb 5, 2017
  11. iNoob Win User
    Alright I'll give it a read through to see what I can find. Thanks for the help. If this is the real culprit then it's super weird that the report would say "Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping."

iNoob, Feb 5, 2017
  12. DavidE Win User
    Have you tried adding a request override for srvnet ?

DavidE, Feb 5, 2017
  13. iNoob Win User

I have and that does fix the problem. However I do need srvnet requests to not be overridden because I have other computers that stream content off of this problematic computer from time to time. With the request overridden the computer will shut off in the middle of serving media. lol

iNoob, Feb 6, 2017
  14. DavidE Win User
    In Power Options / Multimedia settings / When sharing media, have you tried using Prevent idling to sleep ?
    For me this override and setting works, ymmv.
    For me, if something is playing, it continues playing until it ends, then the pc sleeps (if nothing else is playing/streaming).

DavidE, Feb 6, 2017
  15. iNoob Win User
    Thanks for the suggestion David. The problem isn't that it goes to sleep when sharing media (it doesn't), the problem is the computer NEVER going to sleep unless I override srvnet.

iNoob, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. srvnet keeping computer awake even when not sharing files - Similar Threads - srvnet keeping computer

2. Computer no longer staying awake

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer no longer staying awake: Greetings, I can’t find a forum for the command line, so I hope this is the right place. I can’t find anyone else with the same problem.I am having trouble keeping my computer awake. I have created a batch file to back up my laptop. It takes several hours for the script to...
  3. Computer no longer staying awake

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer no longer staying awake: Greetings, I can’t find a forum for the command line, so I hope this is the right place. I can’t find anyone else with the same problem.I am having trouble keeping my computer awake. I have created a batch file to back up my laptop. It takes several hours for the script to...
  4. can't login to network shared computers for file share even though i know the credentials...

can't login to network shared computers for file share even though i know the credentials...: can't login to network shared computer for file share even though i know the credentials are correct. i suspect that for what ever reason, because they are both on the same @live email that this is hindering me and i cannot get in.i do:network>laptop name> enter network...
  5. Alarm clock doesn't sound even when set and computer is awake

Alarm clock doesn't sound even when set and computer is awake: I set alarm for meds and it works for a few days then quits since all the new fake security updates is there a way to make it a permanent alarm https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/alarm-clock-doesnt-sound-even-when-set-and/2e9aa3f0-4f61-4cf9-9f12-ddcdb92cc8a5
  6. How To Keep A Machine Awake On The Lan?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How To Keep A Machine Awake On The Lan?: I have just one machine on our little lan that seems to disappear from time to time and it looks like it does that because it goes into sleep mode. How do I fix that if that's what it probably is? 139624
  7. How To Keep A Machine Awake On The Lan?

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Keep A Machine Awake On The Lan?: I have just one machine on our little lan that seems to disappear from time to time and it looks like it does that because it goes into sleep mode. How do I fix that if that's what it probably is? 139624
  8. [DRIVER] \FileSystem\srvnet

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    [DRIVER] \FileSystem\srvnet: Just noticed this, is this something to be concerned about, what is it and how do I stop it? C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -requests DISPLAY: None. SYSTEM: [DRIVER] \FileSystem\srvnet An active remote client has recently sent requests to this machine....
  9. powercfg and ps keeping my computer awake??

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    powercfg and ps keeping my computer awake??: How do I stop the process nw.exe from keeping my computer from going to sleep. I know it's a powercfg command but I'm not sure of the options so any help would really be appreciated *Smile Code: C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -requests DISPLAY: None. SYSTEM: [DRIVER]...
  10. Computer awakes by itself

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer awakes by itself: A few days ago I downloaded win 10 and everything is going pretty well except.. every night at 12:15 exactly the computer will awake from sleep by itself. I never had this issue with win 7 which I just upgraded from. Any suggestions are much appreciated. *Think 15798