Windows 10: ssd and pc not booting with the new one.

Discus and support ssd and pc not booting with the new one. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; so i brought a new samsung 270 nvme m.2 ssd, i placed it in and it doesnt allow me to boot up. i have tried making it priority in biot but just doesnt... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by dylanedwards4, Jun 11, 2021.

1. ssd and pc not booting with the new one.

so i brought a new samsung 270 nvme m.2 ssd, i placed it in and it doesnt allow me to boot up. i have tried making it priority in biot but just doesnt boot up . howver if i switch to my old ssd it works. i want to use the new one but it dont let me boot up. what should i do?

:)

dylanedwards4, Jun 11, 2021

2. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jun 11, 2021
  3. New windows 10 installtion on New SSD - wont boot unless old SSD present

It seems you installed Windows while the both SSDs were connected. This would have caused your current problem. Maybe it is sufficient to do this:

1. Launch the Disk Manager.
    2. Right-click drive C:, then mark it as "active".
    3. Shut down Windows
    4. Open the BIOS and tell it that the new SSD is the primary boot device.
    5. Disconnect the old SSD.
    6. Boot up normally.

If this does not work then you might have to do this:

1. Disconnect the old SSD.
    2. Re-install Windows on the new SSD, using the Media Creation Tool.

Frederik Long, Jun 11, 2021
  4. DaveM121 Win User

ssd and pc not booting with the new one.

New SSD wont boot

Hi John

Boot into BIOS, is SATA Mode set to AHCI to enable booting from an SSD drive?

Is the SSD drive set a top of the Boot Priority list?

Did you try connecting that SSD to the SATA Port normally used by your old HDD?

DaveM121, Jun 11, 2021
Thema:

ssd and pc not booting with the new one.

1. ssd and pc not booting with the new one. - Similar Threads - ssd booting

2. wanted to multi boot win 10/11 with NVME ssd drive on an old PC with legacy BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wanted to multi boot win 10/11 with NVME ssd drive on an old PC with legacy BIOS: I have a Dell OptiPlex 780 that I upgraded to windows 10 pro and is working fine. Now I have an NVME ssd drive in a USB enclosure that has windows 11 pro, and I wanted to boot to it from a usb port but my BIOS will not recognize the NVME external drive. Is there a way to...
  3. wanted to multi boot win 10/11 with NVME ssd drive on an old PC with legacy BIOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    wanted to multi boot win 10/11 with NVME ssd drive on an old PC with legacy BIOS: I have a Dell OptiPlex 780 that I upgraded to windows 10 pro and is working fine. Now I have an NVME ssd drive in a USB enclosure that has windows 11 pro, and I wanted to boot to it from a usb port but my BIOS will not recognize the NVME external drive. Is there a way to...
  4. Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive: I am looking for disk cloning software, and I'm shocked at how hard it is to learn anything about the available products. My situation: * I have an old Samsung 256GB 845DC EVO SSD. This is a Windows 10 boot disk. * I want to replace it with a new Samsung 512GB 870 EVO SSD. *...
  5. Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive

Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive: I am looking for disk cloning software, and I'm shocked at how hard it is to learn anything about the available products. My situation: * I have an old Samsung 256GB 845DC EVO SSD. This is a Windows 10 boot disk. * I want to replace it with a new Samsung 512GB 870 EVO SSD. *...
  6. Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Ssd hidden in boot menu after first restart with fresh win11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ssd hidden in boot menu after first restart with fresh win11: hello everyone, i need some help with my msi pe60 laptop running win11 . i bought a Nvme ssd 970 evo , installed it everything work good but when i restarted my laptop it directly go in bios menu again and again. nd i try to change boot sequence i can't see my ssd in booth...
  8. Ssd hidden in boot menu after first restart with fresh win11

Ssd hidden in boot menu after first restart with fresh win11: hello everyone, i need some help with my msi pe60 laptop running win11 . i bought a Nvme ssd 970 evo , installed it everything work good but when i restarted my laptop it directly go in bios menu again and again. nd i try to change boot sequence i can't see my ssd in booth...
  9. My pc boots up with the wrong ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc boots up with the wrong ssd: I built my pc and installed a 1tb ssd and downloaded windows 11 on the 1tb ssd then I bought a 2tb ssd. When I installed the new 2tb ssd I removed the old 1tb ssd and installed windows on the new 2tb then I plug back the old 1tb ssd. I have both on my pc now. I turn on my pc...
  10. My pc boots up with the wrong ssd

My pc boots up with the wrong ssd: I built my pc and installed a 1tb ssd and downloaded windows 11 on the 1tb ssd then I bought a 2tb ssd. When I installed the new 2tb ssd I removed the old 1tb ssd and installed windows on the new 2tb then I plug back the old 1tb ssd. I have both on my pc now. I turn on my pc...