Windows 10: SSD Boot problem

Discus and support SSD Boot problem in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I'm having an issue with my SSD. In my computer I have a Samsung Evo 860 with windows 10 installed on it and a HDD just for backup with no OS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by aguzzo13, Jan 25, 2021.

1. aguzzo13 Win User

SSD Boot problem

Hi, I'm having an issue with my SSD. In my computer I have a Samsung Evo 860 with windows 10 installed on it and a HDD just for backup with no OS installed. I bought a new SSD same model than mine and wanted to install windows 10 on it.

So I just disconnected the SATA cable and power cable from my old SSD, connected them to the new one, inatalled everything and it was working fine.

The problem is that after I reconnected the old SSD it won't boot. I tried booting from the new SSD to access the old one and worked perfectly I backuped all the information by the way, but it still won't boot no matter the boot priority is OK. I tried changing almost every option on the BIOS without luck.

Also, when I changed the priority order to Windows Boot Manager first it will boot and recognise my user account but wouldn't let me sign in. Instead it would sign in a guest user account or something like that.

I'm out of ideas already so I would appreciate a lot if somebody has any other idea!

:)

aguzzo13, Jan 25, 2021
  2. dalchina Win User

Windows 10 1709 System Restore problems...

That seems to be an attempt at Option 2 in the tutorial, which requires you to
    a. Boot to a command prompt (Did you?)
    b. You then seem to be mixing steps 3,4 and 5, thus your command is incorrect.

I suggest Option 1 is easier.

If you still have problems, please repost listing each specific step and saying which option from the tutorial you are using. Thanks.

dalchina, Jan 25, 2021
  3. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jan 25, 2021
  4. SSD Boot problem

Cloned SSD Won't boot

Ok I will do this now. What are the next steps after that to make it my main drive and move everything to it?

lhunter664, Jan 25, 2021
Thema:

SSD Boot problem

1. SSD Boot problem - Similar Threads - SSD Boot problem

2. Ssd not booting

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ssd not booting: I’ve been experiencing problems with my computer recognizing my ssd to boot from. I had two separate hardrives with Windows downloaded on both connected to my pc. When booted up it prompted me to select a drive. Last night I decided to delete one drive for extra storage. Now...
  3. Problems booting Windows 10 on an SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problems booting Windows 10 on an SSD: Recently I bought a 1tb SSD to finally get rid of my 8 year old HDD which had all of my files on it. I did a fresh install of Windows onto my SSD using a USB with Installation Media on it. Windows on the SSD worked perfectly, until I removed my HDD from my PC. When I...
  4. Booting problems on SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Booting problems on SSD: Hi everyone! I have been using my PC with an SSD as my primary drive for about half a year now. I used a cloning software to clone my old HDD onto the SSD, and it worked perfectly, until now. Today my pc bluescreened while playing Overwatch, don't know if thats relevant and...
  5. SSD booting problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SSD booting problem: I recently purchased an SSD drive Lexar 480GB and installed Win10 on it. I had 3 other hard drives but when I installed Windows on the SSD, I had all 3 hard drives disconnected to ensure the whole installation is all on the SSD. After the installation, I confirmed the SSD...
  6. Problems with SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problems with SSD: Greetings. I have an Acer Predator Helios 300 that is 2 months old, and about a month ago I had a problem. The computer has a SAMSUNG SSD NVMe 256 GB by deafult. About a month ago, I was gaming nothing relatively strong, but the computer had a problem of overheating based...
  7. Problems booting win10 after cloned SSD swap

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problems booting win10 after cloned SSD swap: I have recently purchased a SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1 TB SSD to upgrade my existing SSD C drive (250GB OCZ-AGILITY) Using Samsung Data Migration Tool I eventually cloned the new drive successfully after several failed attempts using a spare SATA lead. I then openned up the PC and...
  8. SSD Problem?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD Problem?: Hi there! Its been a while since I last visited. And you guys helped me a lot last time, here I am again, seeking for your helps. :) Givens: I have a Laptop that, Acer Aspire E14 E5-473G-304W Samsung V-NAND SSD 850 EVO 500GB (I want to use this on the laptop) Laptop Specs:...
  9. SSD Problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD Problem: hello I was running windows 8.1 with a Samsung 840 EVO ssd. The drive is less than a year old and I was having no problems till yesterday. The computer froze then had to be restarted, thought it was a game issue. it happened again and it would not reboot. I could only get...
  10. Boot up problem M.2 SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Boot up problem M.2 SSD: Hello. I recently had an issue with my Windows 10 on my Samsung SSD, it basically just stopped working, and nothing that I did helped, not any repairs from the "Repair your computer" option from an installation media. So to cut the story short, I reinstalled Windows 10...