Windows 10: SSD Boot Time 90+ Seconds

Discus and support SSD Boot Time 90+ Seconds in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a Samsung 830 SSD that I've been using for a couple of years. When I first used it, I had cold boot times of ~20 seconds. I've since upgraded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by abc617, Dec 10, 2018.

1. abc617 Win User

SSD Boot Time 90+ Seconds

I have a Samsung 830 SSD that I've been using for a couple of years. When I first used it, I had cold boot times of ~20 seconds. I've since upgraded parts around, but kept the same SSD. But after a couple months in my latest upgrade, I notice longer boot times.

I have the ASUS Strix B350-F motherboard, so when the computer first boots up, the BIOS screen with the ASUS ROG logo appears for about 5 seconds. Then it flashes to black. Then the ASUS ROG logo re-appears, but without the "Press F2/Del to enter UEFI BIOS" at the bottom, and these white dots spinning in a circle appear at the bottom. It is at this point where it stays at this "loading" screen for about 90 seconds before I get to the desktop (very reminiscent of the old Windows horizontal progress bar from the old XP days).

I've listed the solutions I've tried so far and nothing that I've done below seems to have made any improvement in the boot times:

• I made sure to enable TRIM and optimize the SSD according to this tutorial
    • I went into my BIOS and check that Fast Boot was enabled and it was set to AHCI mode. Confirmed both are the modes that were set
    • Since I have a Samsung SSD, I downloaded and installed Samsung Magician utility to see if it had any performance options to fix anything. It has a "Performance Optimization" which just brought up the Windows Defrag. I set the "Over Provisioning", but it doesn't look like its meant to speed up the boot times, just the life of the SSD by setting an unallocated partition.
    • I read that Windows might be taking the time to load its native display drivers so I updated my graphics card's display drivers.
    • I've updated the motherboard BIOS to the latest version on the ASUS support website.
    • Since it was an old SSD from an old PC that ran Windows 7 and moved to a newer build, when I first put Windows 10 on it, it was still running in legacy mode and not UEFI. I changed it to boot BIOS mode to UEFI mode a couple months ago, and I think this might be around the time I noticed boot times getting longer. Confirmed it changed BIOS Mode to UEFI under "msinfo32". I didn't do a clean install of Windows 10 and now I wonder whether or not I should have done that.

:)

abc617, Dec 10, 2018
  2. jbishopp Win User

Boot Time with SSD and Win 10 is 90 sec.

I have an ASUS 6730 with Win 10 and I just installed an SSD as the boot drive. Boot time is very long 90 sec. I have the latest BIOS version. I tried disconnecting all external drives. I turned off the old internal drive in Devices just in case the BIOS was searching the old drive for some reason. I have not tried physically disconnecting the old drive.

I have disabled all the unnecessary start-up apps

None of this has helped. I thought with the SSD I'd get a boot time of< 30 sec. I looked at the boot log and there was a long list of files but I couldn't tell which of these, if any, might be delaying the boot-up.

jbishopp, Dec 10, 2018
  3. Cliff S Win User

To add to what Mike said, to see all this stuff you can either create a Custom View Filter in Event Viewer or click and download the link I've posted with this post, unzip it(you may have to unlock it in properties) and import it to event viewer:

SSD Boot Time 90+ Seconds [​IMG]

From there after a few days of booting you'll have enough to look at and find out where your problems are. by clicking the Details tab:

Boot time custom view download is under this posting

Cliff S, Dec 10, 2018
  4. SSD Boot Time 90+ Seconds

Going back to Windows 7, there was a tweak posted on several forums as to how to speed up booting to Windows.
    It knocks off 27 sec's from the boot time. I still use that tweak, even on 8.1 and Windows 10, and it still works!
    Here's that tweak:

Shorten the Boot Time in XP, Vista & Windows 7 & 8, & Windows 10

Go to the start button, choose run, then type msconfig and press Ok.
    On the system configuration window, choose the "Boot.INI" tab.

Check “No Gui Boot”, then lower the timeout to a more manageable time.
    I choose 3 seconds in stead of 30. (windows won’t accept a lower number than 3)

Next choose advanced options.
    This is where you can choose how many processors you have.
    Most modern PC's are duo core (2 processors) with some quad core (4 processors, and there are even some with 8 Cores or more, )
    then choose OK. The Windows default is only 1 core.

Now choose apply and OK, reboot and you should see a marked decrease in boot time, and an Increase in Run-Time efficiency.

It works!
    *Cool

TechnoMage, Dec 10, 2018
Thema:

SSD Boot Time 90+ Seconds

1. SSD Boot Time 90+ Seconds - Similar Threads - SSD Boot 90+

2. PC boots slowly with second SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC boots slowly with second SSD: i have windows 11, i recently upgraded my second HDD to an SSD, it all went well until i was trying to install a game a few days ago. after that my pc boots slowly when my second ssd is connected, after a long time running some programs begin to function weird, like task...
  3. PC boots slowly with second SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC boots slowly with second SSD: i have windows 11, i recently upgraded my second HDD to an SSD, it all went well until i was trying to install a game a few days ago. after that my pc boots slowly when my second ssd is connected, after a long time running some programs begin to function weird, like task...
  4. really long booting time with SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    really long booting time with SSD: i have an old Lenovo G40-45 swapped the boot drive with 128GB SSD, but the HDD is still used using caddy in the dvd slot running Windows 10 20H2 the SSD used only for windows drive, all of my data (documents, games etc) stored in HDD using fast startup mode the boot time is...
  5. Second SSD installation causing windows not to boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Second SSD installation causing windows not to boot: After installing a secondary SSD and partitioning the drive through Disk Management in Windows, restarting my PC caused the boot to go straight to BIOS, and windows 10 won’t start. Changing the boot order within the BIOS doesn’t fix the issue. If I disconnect my second SSD...
  6. Laptop takes 90+ seconds to boot

Laptop takes 90+ seconds to boot: Hello, I own a 2 year old Alienware m16 laptop which for a couple of months now has taken anywhere from 80 to 100 seconds to boot. The laptop has a 512GB NVMe SSD, 16GB of RAM and a Core i7-8750H processor. Here are the different things I've tried: ● I've run multiple...
  7. Is 13.6 seconds a long time for BIOS boot time?

Is 13.6 seconds a long time for BIOS boot time?: I have 13.6 seconds for my boot time and I don't know if that's normal or not. I have quite a few things on startup: iCUE, Razer Synapse, Wallpaper Engine (on high), LGHUB, and Steam. I have a GTX 1080 with a 7600k processor. submitted by /u/ChooChoo-Planes [link]...
  8. slow boot time on ssd

slow boot time on ssd: Hi all, I know there are a wide range of posts about this issue but I couldn't find any direct solution.. I have a laptop with i7 8750h, 16gb ram and 512gb intel 7600p ssd. Boot time takes about 50 seconds, some times 40. Here is the link of Windows Performance Recorder test...
  9. Boot Time with SSD and Win 10 is 90 sec.

Boot Time with SSD and Win 10 is 90 sec.: I have an ASUS 6730 with Win 10 and I just installed an SSD as the boot drive. Boot time is very long 90 sec. I have the latest BIOS version. I tried disconnecting all external drives. I turned off the old internal drive in Devices just in case the BIOS was searching the old...
  10. >5 minute boot time on SSD

>5 minute boot time on SSD: Hi. I have a PC running Windows 10, but it is taking an unusually long time to boot. It can take more than 5 minutes, even though the boot drive is a 250GB Crucial MX200 with the latest firmware. I know that this is a very vague issue, but if i should provide more info for...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 90 second ssd boot