Windows 10: SSD booting problem

Discus and support SSD booting problem in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I recently purchased an SSD drive Lexar 480GB and installed Win10 on it. I had 3 other hard drives but when I installed Windows on the SSD, I had all 3... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by mkseto, Jun 24, 2020.

1. mkseto Win User

SSD booting problem

I recently purchased an SSD drive Lexar 480GB and installed Win10 on it. I had 3 other hard drives but when I installed Windows on the SSD, I had all 3 hard drives disconnected to ensure the whole installation is all on the SSD. After the installation, I confirmed the SSD boots no problem, then re-connected the other 3 hard drives back, and the system also boots up perfectly. After the system has been running a couple of weeks, I decided to reformat one of the drives will call it "D" here. Following are the sequence of events:

1 Booted up from SSD, disk manager showed D: drive had 4 partitions, so I tried to delete a couple of them but didn't have the option in Disk Manager when right-click, only show "Help" option.

2 Started Command Prompt in admin mode and tried "diskpart - list disk - select disk - clean" but got an error saying clean could not be perform because the drive contained boot partition can't remember the exact message. That D: drive indeed was once a boot drive.

3 I then disconnected the SSD and 2 other hard drives just to ensure I don't erase any data on those drives in error, leaving only the D: drive connected and booted my PC with a Windows Installation Disk on a USB drive, went to the Command Prompt i.e. "Trouble-shoot"...... and tried again "diskpart - list disk - select disk - clean" and it was successful.

4 Shut down PC to remove the USB and re-connected all drives, re-booted, but the PC couldn't boot I see cursor flashed a few times, and seems to go into a loop, never saw any message. It seems almost like the PC couldn't find a bootable disk.

5 Re-started my PC but pressed F2 to go to the boot menu. I could see all the hard drives listed, along with the SSD, so I selected the SSD and re-booted .... only to get the same result as "4" above.

6 Re-booted with the USB drive again i.e. installation disk, went to Command Prompt and checked the SSD: all files and folders appear to be intact.

I don't understand why I now couldn't boot from the SSD considering everything is the way it was when the PC booted fine. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

:)

mkseto, Jun 24, 2020

2. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jun 24, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    Windows 10 1709 System Restore problems...

That seems to be an attempt at Option 2 in the tutorial, which requires you to
    a. Boot to a command prompt (Did you?)
    b. You then seem to be mixing steps 3,4 and 5, thus your command is incorrect.

I suggest Option 1 is easier.

If you still have problems, please repost listing each specific step and saying which option from the tutorial you are using. Thanks.

dalchina, Jun 24, 2020
  4. ram93 Win User

SSD booting problem

laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Jun 24, 2020
Thema:

SSD booting problem

1. SSD booting problem - Similar Threads - SSD booting problem

2. SSD boot problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD boot problem: Hi! I bought SSD and i wanted to install win 10 for this. But when i installed the first part in setup my pc restarting but my SSD cant boot. My ssd settings: gpt and bios on UEFI only mod. And the UEFI doesnt see my SSD either. But if i chose Legacy and UEFI option just my...
  3. SSD boot problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD boot problem: Hi! I bought SSD and i wanted to install win 10 for this. But when i installed the first part in setup my pc restarting but my SSD cant boot. My ssd settings: gpt and bios on UEFI only mod. And the UEFI doesnt see my SSD either. But if i chose Legacy and UEFI option just my...
  4. SSD boot problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Problem with booting to SSD with Windows installed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem with booting to SSD with Windows installed: So yesterday my PC was kind of acting up, it wasn't detecting the SSD with my Windows 10 Pro installation. Once I switched the SATA cables I got a screen that said, "Windows failed to start" at the bottom it had the error code 0xc0000001. When I switched the SATA cables for...
  6. Problem with booting to SSD with Windows installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with booting to SSD with Windows installed: So yesterday my PC was kind of acting up, it wasn't detecting the SSD with my Windows 10 Pro installation. Once I switched the SATA cables I got a screen that said, "Windows failed to start" at the bottom it had the error code 0xc0000001. When I switched the SATA cables for...
  7. Problems with Windows Boot to SSD --fixed

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with Windows Boot to SSD --fixed: Hi folks I had a rare Windows problem that some might encounter with booting to Windows. On an older computer I didn't need the SATA DVD drive so what I did I connected two SSD's via a spliter - I've enough SATA ports on the mobo so that was fine. The two SSD's were a 500GB...
  8. SSD Boot problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD Boot problem: Hi, I'm having an issue with my SSD. In my computer I have a Samsung Evo 860 with windows 10 installed on it and a HDD just for backup with no OS installed. I bought a new SSD same model than mine and wanted to install windows 10 on it. So I just disconnected the SATA cable...
  9. Problems booting Windows 10 on an SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problems booting Windows 10 on an SSD: Recently I bought a 1tb SSD to finally get rid of my 8 year old HDD which had all of my files on it. I did a fresh install of Windows onto my SSD using a USB with Installation Media on it. Windows on the SSD worked perfectly, until I removed my HDD from my PC. When I...
  10. Booting problems on SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Booting problems on SSD: Hi everyone! I have been using my PC with an SSD as my primary drive for about half a year now. I used a cloning software to clone my old HDD onto the SSD, and it worked perfectly, until now. Today my pc bluescreened while playing Overwatch, don't know if thats relevant and...