Windows 10: SSD Booting to Black Screen After Migration

Discus and support SSD Booting to Black Screen After Migration in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am attempting to upgrade my Dell desktop from the original HDD to a Samsung 860 EVO SSD. The original drive is 1 TB, the new one is 500 GB. I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by illinifan_303, Nov 28, 2020.

1. SSD Booting to Black Screen After Migration

I am attempting to upgrade my Dell desktop from the original HDD to a Samsung 860 EVO SSD. The original drive is 1 TB, the new one is 500 GB. I am running Windows 10. I downloaded the Samsung Migration software, powered down the computer, installed the SSD into the machine and plugged into an open SATA port. I was able to successfully complete the data migration of the two partitions on the original drive to the SSD and then the computer powered itself down as expected. I then disconnected the HDD from the power and SATA ports and moved the SATA cord from the SSD to the SATA connection that was previously used by the HDD not sure if this matters, but saw the recommendation somewhere.

When I power on the machine, I can see the Windows logo and a white circle. Then the screen goes black but I can move the arrow around. I cannot get past this point.

When starting the machine, I also do not see the Dell logo but am able to get to the BIOS by hitting F2. The SSD is recognized and appears in the second boot position below bootable USB. I rebooted my PC with the recovery USB. I tried the Repair Startup option, but it said that Windows couldn't repair the issue. I then went into the Command Prompt to run diskpart. A picture is attached. I noticed a couple odd things:

1 the OS partition isn't showing as Boot under Status

2 The SSD is 500 GB total, broken down into a 150GB partition called OS and a 350 GB partition called Documents. Those show up as the E: and F: drives, respectively. However, there's also a C: partition for 500 GB

Does anyone have any ideas?SSD Booting to Black Screen After Migration [​IMG]

:)

illinifan_303, Nov 28, 2020
  2. zplugger Win User

Black Screen after Log on

Computer boots to windows log on,have no password here.After a minute on log on it go to a black screen,stays there forever. I can get to Task Manager from black Screen,lost on what to do next. Just want my Windows 10 back, not sure what caused this problem. Any Suggestion on what my next step should be?*Sad

zplugger, Nov 28, 2020
  3. Black screen after booting

Hi Darlene,

There are several reasons why this issue occurs, such as a corrupted driver, Internet connection, third-party software, and external hardware or devices. For us to investigate the issue, please clarify the following:

• Can you verify if the issue occurred during the update or after installing the update?
    • Are you able to log in to your computer?

In the meantime, we suggest performing the steps provided on this link to resolve your black screen
    issue. On the "Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors" section, select the error that you're experiencing from the options provided.

Get back to us with the result.

Lov Dollente, Nov 28, 2020
  4. Rose Cal Win User

SSD Booting to Black Screen After Migration

black screen

Hi Bart,

It is possible that you're experiencing black screen due to corrupted system files. To assist you better, we'd like to gather more information:

• Are you getting any error messages?
    • What happen when you tried to login?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    to troubleshoot black screen errors. You can choose which situation you're experiencing the error and perform the instructions.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Nov 28, 2020
Thema:

SSD Booting to Black Screen After Migration

1. SSD Booting to Black Screen After Migration - Similar Threads - SSD Booting Black

2. Black screen after initial boot screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen after initial boot screen: After the screen with the spinning dots and the Windows logo, the screen goes black. Windows is still responsive and makes sounds. To get it to display, I have to put the laptop to sleep and then wake it up to get it to display. I have tried reinstalling Windows and...
  3. Migrating to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrating to SSD: Hi, I have an old notebook in which I want to add an m.2 SSD256gb and run a dual memoryHDD with 1TB. I searched online and I learnt that It should work. The problem is that I one to install only W10 and some programs on the SSD, while I want to keep the other things on the...
  4. Migrating to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Migrating to SSD: Hi, I have an old notebook in which I want to add an m.2 SSD256gb and run a dual memoryHDD with 1TB. I searched online and I learnt that It should work. The problem is that I one to install only W10 and some programs on the SSD, while I want to keep the other things on the...
  5. Migrating to SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Migrating to SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrating to SSD: So, my computer came with a hard disk and I've recently bought an SSD. I downloaded Windows 10 onto a flash drive so I can use it as a boot drive, so what do I do to get my SSD set up properly and migrate the data from my hard drive over? I ask because of the prompts with...
  7. Black Screen After Boot

Black Screen After Boot: Ok so I have had this issue happen to me twice now and the only thing that has changed is that I recently went from a Mamba TE to the Mamba Elite which had me install Synapse 3. What happens is my PC gets through boot, shows the Windows loading circle, but then it just goes...
  8. After SSD upgrade, sometimes it boots into black screen. Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    After SSD upgrade, sometimes it boots into black screen. Windows 10: About 1 week ago, I upgraded my HP Pavilion x360 2018 from a HDD to a SSD. It worked fine the first couple of days, then 1 day, when I kept my computer to sleep, I turned it on again and I put in my PIN like usual. Then it said Welcome, for about 1 minute and I was wondering...
  9. Windows stuck in Boot screen after migrating SSD

Windows stuck in Boot screen after migrating SSD: So, after I plugged in my new SSD and copied all the files to it using Partition Wizard it is stuck in the loading screen after a restart. Normally it should just load a bit and then start the copying software. I've been waiting for 12 minutes now and yet nothing has...
  10. Migration to an SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migration to an SSD: I moved the Windows 10 installation of my mother's PC from a hard drive to a SSD using DriveImageXML drive2drive feature with Windows running. I copied the boot system partition and the Windows partition (C*Smile then booted with the new system partition. But even if I booted...