Windows 10: SSD broken after Windows Update?

Discus and support SSD broken after Windows Update? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey, yesterday I was trying to update Windows 10 to the newest version, which for some reason failed, therefore it went back to the version I had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by vertigo0, Mar 5, 2020.

1. vertigo0 Win User

SSD broken after Windows Update?

Hey,

yesterday I was trying to update Windows 10 to the newest version, which for some reason failed, therefore it went back to the version I had installed before trying to update, which was version 1803 I believe I didn't update in quite some time.

The first thing I did after Windows failed to update was simply trying to copy some files which froze the OS and gave me a BSOD after a couple of minutes.

After restarting everything seemed to work fine again. I put the PC to hibernation I hope this is what it is called in english over night and today in the evening switched it back on again. I tried uninstalling some software and the PC froze again giving me another BSOD. After the PC restarted itself it showed a screen telling me that there was no boot device found 3F0.

I am not very tech savvy but those are the things I tried so far:

Removing the SSD, the RAM and the CMOS battery for a couple of minutes and plugging everything back in.

Trying to boot from a recovery disk I created when I bought the PC, which didn't boot at all, it just rebooted for up to 10 minutes.

Starting Ubuntu from the disk drive, it sees the SSD as in "Disks": 1.1 GB Disk SM2260

Playing around with legacy support and secure boot in the BIOS I wasn't even able to start Ubuntu from the disk drive without doing this but that didn't change anything either.

In BIOS it shows the SSD as: M.2 1 GB, SM 2260.

When I run "HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI", which I can open after it showing me the 3F0 error screen, I can do an SSD test but that just shows me that there is no SSD installed.

The BSOD error messages were I believe something like "Critical Process Died" and "Unexpected Store Exception", but I'm not sure about that.

The SSD worked perfectly fine those months before trying to update, so I believe it has to do with the update, I don't think it's a coincidence that it happened right now but is it even possible that Windows broke that SSD?

Hardware Information:

PC: HP Omen 880-188ng

SSD: Intel SSDPEKKF512G7H

Thank you for any help.

[moved from German forums]

:)

vertigo0, Mar 5, 2020
  2. user33331 Win User

Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Mar 5, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Disappearing SSD & failing Windows Updates

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate your effort on this. However, to help you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the following details:

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Which build version of Windows is installed on the computer? To check type:
      winver in the search bar on the Taskbar and hit Enter.

Method 1: Updating Storage drivers

It could be an issue with the drivers that is why the SSD is not getting detected after a restart. We can try updating the drivers and see if that helps. Please follow the steps mentioned below to update the drivers:

1. Press Windows key + X, to open Context menu.
    2. Click on Device Manager.
    3. Expand Disk drives.
    4. Right click on the driver and select Update driver.
    5. If prompted for restart, please restart the PC.

You can also go ahead and check for Storage drivers from the computer manufacturer’s website. If there are storage drivers available, please download and install them.

Method 2: Updating firmware for the SSD

This issue could occur if the latest firmware for the SSD is not installed. You can download latest firmware from the SSD manufacturer website and install it.

For update issue, I would suggest you to please refer the troubleshooting steps in the article

Fix Windows Update errors
    and see if that helps in resolving the issue.

Note: The above article has the steps to perform a clean install of Windows.
    You may take a backup of the data before performing a clean installation.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 5, 2020
  4. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond SSD broken after Windows Update? :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Mar 5, 2020
Thema:

1. SSD broken after Windows Update? - Similar Threads - SSD broken Update

2. is my ssd broken?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is my ssd broken?: follow up question to this previous question of mine "https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_11-files/deleted-files-keep-coming-back-after-restart/c9312d13-0ead-4b90-b92b-5380b198d997?tm=1713190863753 " i'm asking here since i doubt i'll find real answers...
  3. is my ssd broken?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is my ssd broken?: follow up question to this previous question of mine "https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_11-files/deleted-files-keep-coming-back-after-restart/c9312d13-0ead-4b90-b92b-5380b198d997?tm=1713190863753 " i'm asking here since i doubt i'll find real answers...
  4. windows 11 broken after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 broken after update: so last night i updated windows 11, and after i start up my pc task bar won't show up it just keeps loading, can't access computer properties or settings, can't even open some of the default applications. Please help...
  5. windows 11 broken after update

windows 11 broken after update: so last night i updated windows 11, and after i start up my pc task bar won't show up it just keeps loading, can't access computer properties or settings, can't even open some of the default applications. Please help...
  6. Windows broken after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows broken after update: I recently re-installed Windows again, as it was running slowly and acting poorly not refreshing explorer automatically etc. Last night it did updates which broke my system again. This has been going on for 2 years now. I am extremely upset that these updates are FORCED on my...
  7. Windows broken after update

Windows broken after update: I recently re-installed Windows again, as it was running slowly and acting poorly not refreshing explorer automatically etc. Last night it did updates which broke my system again. This has been going on for 2 years now. I am extremely upset that these updates are FORCED on my...
  8. Windows broken after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. FTP broken after windows update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    FTP broken after windows update: I have been using 2 FTP programs (Coffee cup direct ftp, and intersoft ftp navigator) on my HP laptop since I got it. A few weeks ago I got a windows update and now neither of them work. They open and act like they are connecting to the server but thats as far as they get....
  10. Broken SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Broken SSD: My son just built my computer and in putting in the ssd drive that already had Windows 10 on it we had purchased it that day the plastic piece on the ssd drive broke and needs to be replaced. Any way we can save the Windows 10 or will microsoft be kind and allow us to switch...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 update broke m.2 ssd