Windows 10: SSD C drive is almost full.

Discus and support SSD C drive is almost full. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have bought an PC just a month ago and it has windows update today and my SSD C: drive is almost full. but also have HDD D: drive, which is empty.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Gee S Bee, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Gee S Bee Win User

SSD C drive is almost full.

I have bought an PC just a month ago and it has windows update today and my SSD C: drive is almost full. but also have HDD D: drive, which is empty.

What to do?

Thank You.

:)

Gee S Bee, Jan 19, 2019
  2. Clintlgm Win User

Installing an SSD drive on my desktop to use as the C bootup drive

What are you talking about, I have Samsung 830 for 5 years and its still running great there is no issue with NTFS and SSD

To the OP all you have to do is use Macrium Reflect to clone your disk to your SSD you'll have to option to shrink your C partition before you start the actual clone check out this video
    it walks you through step by step

Clintlgm, Jan 19, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, Jan 19, 2019
  4. YuanSR Win User

Adding a SSD as C: Drive

Hi,

To move the OS, you need some cloning tools indeed. Otherwise, you have to do clean install. Normally, my suggestion is to install SSD and do a fresh install of Windows 10. Yet you got Windows 10 from Windows 8.

To my knowledge, the registry information is connected with your motherboard instead of the hard drive. So change a hard drive won't go bad.

Give Aomei Partition Assistant a shot. There is a "migrate OS to SSD" feature which can move OS drive including installed programs to SSD. Then remove
    your current hard drive to test if you can boot Windows 10 from SSD.

Always backup important data. Regards.

YuanSR, Jan 19, 2019
Thema:

1. SSD C drive is almost full. - Similar Threads - SSD drive almost

2. C: DRIVE SUDDENLY ALMOST FULL

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C: DRIVE SUDDENLY ALMOST FULL: Yesterday my C: Drive had 20.7gb free out of 110gb, but today suddenly it shows 6.7gb free out of 110gb, the available disk space keeps changing, like sometimes its 9gb sometimes its 6gb, i have used SFC /Scannow, Dism restorehealth, and i have checked if there is any virus...
  3. 118Gb C drive almost full.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    118Gb C drive almost full.: I have searched C drive for "Desktop" search is approaching 10,000 items found so far.The search is still running and it has found many folders and files that appear duplicated as they all have the same Name and Modified date and are located in a Temp folder.Can I delete...
  4. 118Gb C drive almost full.

118Gb C drive almost full.: I have searched C drive for "Desktop" search is approaching 10,000 items found so far.The search is still running and it has found many folders and files that appear duplicated as they all have the same Name and Modified date and are located in a Temp folder.Can I delete...
  5. SSD C drive is almost full.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD C drive is almost full.: I have bought an PC just a month ago and it has windows update today and my SSD C: drive is almost full. but also have HDD D: drive, which is empty.What to do?Thank You....
  6. SSD C drive is almost full.

SSD C drive is almost full.: I have bought an PC just a month ago and it has windows update today and my SSD C: drive is almost full. but also have HDD D: drive, which is empty.What to do?Thank You....
  7. drive c is almost full

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    drive c is almost full: My C Drive is almost full! I've done everything site has suggested. What next? Please help, it won't update anymore! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-c-is-almost-full/df39eaac-9523-4452-b9c9-31ef422b744e
  8. drive c is almost full

in Windows 10 Gaming
    drive c is almost full: My C Drive is almost full! I've done everything site has suggested. What next? Please help, it won't update anymore! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-c-is-almost-full/df39eaac-9523-4452-b9c9-31ef422b744e
  9. drive c is almost full

10. RE: C: Drive is almost full

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    RE: C: Drive is almost full: Hello Just one more quick question if I may. My main OS c: is almost full (in the red) new it would happen eventually. A couple of questions one being which is the best option for cleaning the device without loosing personal files and settings. I know there are a few...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 ssd almost full

2. c is always full

3. is it normal that my ssd is almost full

4. my ssd is almost full,
  5. ssd is almost full,
  6. ssd almost full download to my 1tb hardrive ok?,
  7. my ssd is almost full what do i do,
  8. ssd c: drive is always full,
  9. ssd drive almost full,
  10. windows 10 1903 cdrive almost full after upgrade,
  11. ssd almost full,