Windows 10: SSD cannot be recognized in laptop after putting HDD from dead PC

Discus and support SSD cannot be recognized in laptop after putting HDD from dead PC in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, just a quick question from a newbie on the forums, After just recently moving into a new house as of this week, I had dug out a dead Dell... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Kaveman4200, Aug 19, 2019.

1. SSD cannot be recognized in laptop after putting HDD from dead PC

Hello, just a quick question from a newbie on the forums,

After just recently moving into a new house as of this week, I had dug out a dead Dell laptop that I had used to use last year until one day the motherboard had gotten corroded from water damage. After opening it up to see if anything was still usable, I noticed the HDD was still in good condition, and still had some of my files on it from when I had used it previously.

The new PC that I have been using for a couple of months now, an ASUS TUF fx705, I had noticed came with a slot for an HDD if I chose to install one, even though I already have a 500gb M.2 SSD that came pre-installed. So after seeing that the 1tb HDD was functioning fully, I decided to transfer it into the laptop.

Here is where the problem began, in which now the OS seems to be the hard drive, and I have no access to the SSD whatsoever, almost as if I'm still using the old computer, just in a new body. Any solutions to this that anyone knows of without having to just remove the HDD and transfer the files?

Thanks for the help if anyone has it.

TL;DR: found an old functioning HDD in dead laptop, transferred over to new laptop and it maniacally took over and cannot access files on SSD that I would like to use with the HDD.

:)

Kaveman4200, Aug 19, 2019

2. Does Windows 10 automatically recognise that a SSD has replaced a HDD?

I have recently replaced the HDD in my Windows 10 laptop with a SSD. As I understand it, Windows periodically runs a defragmentation in the background on a HDD. However, SSD drives do not require defragmenting and running such a tool can shorten the life
    of a SSD.

The SSD was a clone of the HDD and not a new installation. Will Windows 10 recognize that the laptop now has a SSD and stop its background defragmentation or do I need to take specific steps to prevent this activity occurring on the SSD? If I need to take
    action please advise on the steps I should take.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Grangeland, Aug 19, 2019
  3. user33331 Win User
    Laptops can't boot from optical HDD\SSD caddy :-(

Hello
    I have been investigating *a lot* and trying to boot a 2015 year HP Pavilion DV7 17-f076no (Serial: J1X05EA#UUW) from a Chinese Ebay optical drive HDD\SSD caddy:
    Read multiple forum questions that had the same problem as I: ( Bios can't find a bootable SSD inside optical caddy )
    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...find-caddy-SSD-in-BIOS-boot-list/td-p/3278964
    BIOS doesn't recognize the second HDD (hard drive caddy)

Startup:
    • Cloned a 1000gb HDD containing 100/1000gb of Windows 10 Home 64-bit to a 500gb SSD with a EZ Gig IV 4.6.2 cloning software and a USB-SATA transfer cable.
    • Original 1000gb HDD is still inside the laptop.
    • DVD-drive replaced with a 500gb SSD caddy.
    So far:
    • The SSD (=2018 Samsung 860EVO 500gb) can be used and seen inside Windows 10. ( As a storage only )
    • The 2015 Bios F.43 Rev.A American Megatrends Inc. can not see the SSD from the BIOS boot order. Windows Boot Manager sees only the original HDD.
    • UEFI Legacy boot-mode is disabled. I don't think enabling it would help since I'm starting up Windows 10.
    Solutions:
    • Faulty caddy ? Chinese sellers sell many multiple variations of different 9.7mm thick caddys with different micro switches. This one had only a 1 pc of micro switch with 2 position choices.
    • Bios is just not flexible enough. Open the 20+pcs of laptop screws and put the SSD to the place of the original HDD.
    • UEFI Legacy mode ?
    • Modding the caddy. Someone said the caddy is in a "power saving sleep mode" when inside BIOS and it is therefore unseen and shortening some pins would help ? Any experience in soldering the caddy electronics so that it is constantly awake ? This sounds believable ?
    • Cloned the HDD twice to minimize errors but no help I doubt it is because of the cloning process and if it is it is because the HDD and SSD were not the same size 1000gb and 1000gb and the partitions don't match or so...?
    Laptops are not easy...

user33331, Aug 19, 2019
  4. Kem Mon Win User

SSD cannot be recognized in laptop after putting HDD from dead PC

unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Aug 19, 2019
Thema:

SSD cannot be recognized in laptop after putting HDD from dead PC

1. SSD cannot be recognized in laptop after putting HDD from dead PC - Similar Threads - SSD cannot recognized

2. Dead HDD with windows 10. Will not start. Want to install SSD to replace Dead HDD. How...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dead HDD with windows 10. Will not start. Want to install SSD to replace Dead HDD. How...: I have a Dell Laptop that had the HDD WIn 10 Pro crash the other day. When I put a new SSD in the Computer it finds it and wants to install. If I do that how will I get it activated without being able to access the old HDD? This computer was upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from...
  3. My SSD is recognized as HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My SSD is recognized as HDD: i have a problem where task manager reads SSD as HDD but previously task manager reads my SSD correctly. but I don't know what I did last time. can anyone help me?Screenshot taken from — 07/01/2021:Screenshot taken from — 08/13/2021:...
  4. My SSD is recognized as HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My SSD is recognized as HDD: i have a problem where task manager reads SSD as HDD but previously task manager reads my SSD correctly. but I don't know what I did last time. can anyone help me?Screenshot taken from — 07/01/2021:Screenshot taken from — 08/13/2021:...
  5. ssd being recognized as hdd after clone

ssd being recognized as hdd after clone: I went to upgrade my hard drive to a ssd -using macrium to clone it- and its being recognized as a hard disk drive with computer performance being just as slow as the original hard drive. I've already tired update driver, winsat formal, and winsat diskformal both ran as...
  6. Slow Laptop even after putting SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Slow Laptop even after putting SSD: [img] The above images shows my configurations. I replaced my HDD with a 445 GB SSD. It was working smoothly at first, but now even with the SSD, my laptop keeps hanging unless I connect my charger to the laptop. For some reason my laptop works better with the charger. I...
  7. Trying to uninstall from dead HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to uninstall from dead HDD: Ok so I have an SSD and a HDD (windows on ssd). My hdd died recently and I have a few softwares that I want to install onto my ssd but that used to be on my hdd. when I try to do that it says "invalid drive /G" (G is my dead hdd) all help is appreciated thank you! submitted...
  8. Cannot boot from SSD after replacing HDD in Sony Vaio Laptop - svf15213cbw

Cannot boot from SSD after replacing HDD in Sony Vaio Laptop - svf15213cbw: Hello! Just bought a SSD Kingston UV500 to use on my Sony Vaio svf15213cbw. It is recognized as an UBS drive and i even could install a clean one Windows 10 on it. I can run normally when it is attached as an USB drive. So the SSD is working fine. But when i swap the...
  9. After upgrading, my PC won't recognize my SSD or HDD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    After upgrading, my PC won't recognize my SSD or HDD?: I'm not exactly a computer mastermind, but let me try to explain what is going on... There's a TL;DR version, too. Two days ago I got home from work and turned on my computer, which is a little over a year old and has never had any problems before. It wouldn't boot up. It...
  10. Laptop not resuming from sleep after HDD-to-SSD upgrade

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop not resuming from sleep after HDD-to-SSD upgrade: I have a new problem with my laptop which I had never had in the 3 years previously, whether it ran Windows 8, 8.1 and then 10. Usually, when I go to bed at night I close my laptop screen and it goes into sleep. I then wake it up the next day without any issues. But...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dead ssd options

2. ssd recognized as hdd after because of driver nvidia?