Windows 10: SSD cloned backwards

Discus and support SSD cloned backwards in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Got a new Samsung SSD, used the software that came with it to move C to new drive. Ended up with msg "Bootmgr missing". Reinstalled original hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by xpac5896, Feb 6, 2016.

1. xpac5896 Win User

SSD cloned backwards

Got a new Samsung SSD, used the software that came with it to move C to new drive. Ended up with msg "Bootmgr missing". Reinstalled original hard drive, got the same msg. Pulled out SSD, hooked it up to my laptop. Looked at it and the sooftware cloned C drive but the sequence is wrong. It has the 450meg partition first, then the UEFI partition and then the Primary partition. Is there anyway to move the partitions to the correct sequence? I can get into the BIOS but I can't do anything mouse, keys,tab nothing will work so I can change the boot order to my DVD drive to install a fresh copy of Winddows. HELP!!!!!!

:)

xpac5896, Feb 6, 2016
  2. qinada Win User

Clone a 1 Tb drive to a 512 Mb SSC

Hi Vaughn,

You can
    clone larger HDD to small SSD
    with a professional disk cloning software as long as the used space is smaller than the SSD. You will not worry it will clone the unused space unless you use sector by sector clone mode.

I suggest you to clone your HDD to SSD with AOMEI Backupper, if the used space is larger than the SSD, you can clone only the OS to SSD and keep the HDD as data storage. This software is very easy to operate.

qinada, Feb 6, 2016
  3. From one hard drive to another

Try AOMEI Backupper Standard, a freeware. It has a feature called System Clone, which will clone OS to SSD. it will check if the ssd has enough space for the clone. As long as your ssd have enough space for the data on the
    system drive(C: drive), it will successfully clone your OS to your ssd. more detials:

http://www.backup-utility.com/clone/migrate-operating-system-to-ssd.html

Youngwarlord, Feb 6, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

SSD cloned backwards

Not really sure why you think it is not the correct sequence. It is correct as far I can tell. Here's mine:

SSD cloned backwards [​IMG]

topgundcp, Feb 6, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    I have more than a few Notebooks and Desktops and look similar. Some have only 1 System Reserved partitions and some have 3 partitions.

Berton, Feb 6, 2016
  6. topgundcp Win User
    If you have System Reserved then your Windows was installed using the old Legacy (MBR) partition scheme.

topgundcp, Feb 6, 2016
  7. xpac5896 Win User
    On my original HD my EFI partition was first then the primary partition then the 450 recovery partition. Always thought that the EFI partition was first due to MBR. I finally got the thing to work, had a heck of a time getting the keyboard and mouse to work in the BIOS. My mother boards is an ROG Asus Maximus VII Gene, can't remember what number BIOS I'm running but I'm going to update it. The BIOS rely's on a mouse to do any changes and without it, you're totally screwed. I like the old PS2 cause it would work no matter what but I guess you're stuck with USB. I'm guessing that most of the MB's with today use UEFI BIOS. Anyway, what got me going was when I finally got my mouse to work, I changed the BOOT sequence. I normally have my DVD drive as first then my HD. For some reason it had my old C drive as first, don't know why cause I had changed the sequence months ago. As long as the HD boots and it doesn't care where the MBR is, I don't care either.

xpac5896, Feb 6, 2016
  8. xpac5896 Win User

SSD cloned backwards

I think I opened my mouth to soon. I cannot list my CD drive first, C drive must be listed first then the CD drive. I had a copy of the bootable ISO for Win 10 in my cd drive and everything was working fine. As soon as I removed the cd, I got the "Boot mgr not found" again, not only that but in order for me to get my bootable cd n my cd drive , I have to manually open the cd drawer, I can't press the button to open it, the light comes on like it's trying to do something but it won't open. The funny thing about this is everything was working fine until I changed drives, now I'm wondering if it was worth it.

xpac5896, Feb 6, 2016
  9. xpac5896 Win User
    Oh, one thing I forgot to say about the cd drive. Even though I had the bootable ISO for Win 10 in the drive, it never once tried to start the install for Win 10 and it is listed in Device Manager and Disk Management. All I can try to do is move the USB from one slot to another and see what happens

xpac5896, Feb 6, 2016
  10. Clintlgm Win User
    in your OP, you said you attempted to use the Samsung software to copy your C:\ to the SSD?
    If your original hard drive is still bootable and running fine. I suggest you download Macrium Reflect Free and use it to clone your hard drive to your new SSD. You have to clone the complete hard drive to the new SSD. Here is a link to a video that will show you how this is accomplished. In the video where he say's to convert the new ssd to MBR do not do that. convert to GPT for your UEFI system. You stated that you have an efi partition so you shouldn't have to do anything other than adjust the partition sizes to fit your SSD that is all shown in the video

Clintlgm, Feb 6, 2016
  11. xpac5896 Win User
    I don't know if the download version you gave a link to is the same as in the video. If so, I wish I had seen this video prior to using the software that came with the drive. I had no idea that you are supposed to convert to GPT once you plug in the SSD. I didn't do anything cause I didn't know what the software was going to do in regards to cloning the HD. I like the idea of being able to clone exactly the way the partitions are on the original HD, that's probably the reason why I had so much trouble. I haven't looked at my original C drive but I'm betting that the partitions are screwed up. I tried to use my original C after I started to have trouble but all I got was "Bootmgr missing" or it could have been in the BIOS because of the order in which the system is supposed to boot, I'll just have to look. This motherboard is very picky as to where C is located. It must be located in the "0" slot or it won't work, don't know why but that's the way it is. But what's got me is now the DVD player won't work, at all. The light comes on when you press the button to open the player but it just sits there. I have to use a paper clip to open the drive. The drive isn't even shown in File Explorer and I've got the box unchecked in File Explorer Options to show hidden drives as well as the box unchecked to Hide Empty Drives. The drive is shown in Disk management as well as Device Manager so just exactly is going on is beyond me. I'll be playing with that today to see if I can get it working again.
    Clintlgm, Thanks for the links to the video and Macrum Reflect. Great stuff.

xpac5896, Feb 6, 2016
  12. Winuser Win User
    I'm not sure how the size or order is determined. This is how my disk is setup on a OEM Windows 10 HP Pavilion.

SSD cloned backwards [​IMG]

Winuser, Feb 6, 2016
  13. xpac5896 Win User

SSD cloned backwards

Clintlgm, according to Disk management in windows it shows 3 partitions 100meg EFI partition, the Primary partition and a 450 meg recovery, however Macrium Reflect shows 4 partitions but the worst of it is I cannot clone these partitions because MR wants to clone the entire primary partition which is 930.85gigs, that would be fine but I'm going from a 1tb to a 512 and that ain't going to happen. On the partition itself there's only 98gig used the rest is empty save for dump and such so MR won't work. I tried to do a clean install but that ain't gonna happen either. I was treating the SSD as a regular drive and figured I'd delete all the partitons, reformat and then install. Nope. I end up with a 498.something partition I can't delete. I can create a 100meg and a primary partition but can't get a 450 created. Looks like I just threw away $249. Oh well, stuff happens. Now I got aan SSD that's worthless.

xpac5896, Feb 8, 2016
  14. Clintlgm Win User
    Yes in the video it is explained how to shrink your C:\ so that all fits on your SSD. Review the video again. SO MR Will work it has for thousands of us. you just adjust the size of C:\ partition during the set up process. That is correct that you have to clone the complete Hard drive to the SSD if you expect to have a booting OS.

You also can at any time just clean install to the SSD following the tutorials in these forums.

If your original hard drive is still good? Use Diskpart to Clean your SSD then follow the video and all will fit and work. I don't think there is more than one MR Free but here another link

Clintlgm, Feb 8, 2016
  15. xpac5896 Win User
    I am using the drive at present by way of Samsung software cause I got so frustrated. I do admit I would have liked to use MR and I will review the video again. I'm just wondering, playing around with this SSD, how will it reflect on the TPW? Guess I'll find out.
    I tried to clean install Win 10 but the install gave me an error sayin that it could not install to the disk. If I could have deleted the entire partition, I might have been able to but unfortunately DISKPART is not in my vocabulary. I have used it but it's been years since I have.
    My other C drive is fine so I guess I'm going to try again only this time I'll use MR and get it right. I really wanted a 1tb Samsung but settled for a 512. I'll probably get one and use this one in my laptop.

xpac5896, Feb 9, 2016
Thema:

SSD cloned backwards

1. SSD cloned backwards - Similar Threads - SSD cloned backwards

2. HDD to SSD clone.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD to SSD clone.: Want to transfer my whole operating system along with the data from a HDD to a SSD but don't know how to do it. Help needed. SSD not yet bought so suggestion on what company to buy from are welcome. Currently using western digital wd10spzx-60z10t0 1TB. Let me know if more...
  3. SSD to SSD clone, cloned SSD has poor performance

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD to SSD clone, cloned SSD has poor performance: Hi all, Cloned the OEM drive in an HP Elitebook 850 G5 yesterday, to a Kingston A2000. I used Clonezilla, everything went off without a hitch. The reason for this was because I needed more space; 250GB to 500. Throw the new drive in, boot up, and the thing is quite slow....
  4. Backwards cloning of system disk?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backwards cloning of system disk?: Hello All, I installed an SSD on my wife's laptop and did a clean install of Windows 10 ver. 1809 on the SSD. I see now that free software exists to clone an HDD to an SSD (MiniTool Partition Wizard Free). HP has made it rough to get to the hard drive and I do not fancy...
  5. Clone SSD to bigger SSD

Clone SSD to bigger SSD: Been trying to get my new 480 gig Sandisk to take a direct clone from my old Sandisk 128 gig SSD and all the programs I've tried keep assigning separate drive letters to each partition and then the bigger SSD wont even boot right. It boots to a blank 10 blue screen with two...
  6. Clone ssd

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone ssd: Hi all if I want to install a 500gb ssd can I clone my 120 ssd to it. Its not my c drive its the g drive I just need more room for games I will be giving the old ssd to my son to make a boot drive 67592
  7. SSD cloned ..?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD cloned ..?: Hi All I just cloned the new SSD from 128GB to 256GB And the main partition is not quite exactly the same I don't have the star screw driver to replace it yet .. so I don't know if it works or not Any advice Thanks [img] 21028
  8. ssd cloning.... help

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    ssd cloning.... help: I am looking for some help as this is driving me crazy, I am attempting to upgrade a dell inspiron 3157 to a ssd. I cloned the drive with Acronis true 2014 (it came with the ssd). the clone was succesful but when i install into the bay I get error code 0x0000225 (failed to...
  9. SSD Clone to SSD

SSD Clone to SSD: Hey, I am cloning several computers for work with the exact same hardware. I have a working computer with a SSD and HDD. When I clone the SSD and start up the same computer with the SSD switched windows will not load and it gives me the standard missing required files to...
  10. Cloning to SSD

Cloning to SSD: First question here on 10 forum but used 7 forum lots. Anyway I am trying to clone the HDD? reduced partion to 450GB so as to be less than theSSD on my laptop. Trying to clone to a Samsung EVO 850 500GB. I have used the Samsung migration software and a version of EaseUS both...