Windows 10: SSD cloned backwards

Discus and support SSD cloned backwards in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Diskpart to get to diskpart in search box type CMD Right click cmd.exe and click on Run as Administrator When CMD is open type in Diskpart then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by xpac5896, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Clintlgm Win User

SSD cloned backwards

Diskpart to get to diskpart
    in search box type CMD
    Right click cmd.exe and click on Run as Administrator

When CMD is open type in Diskpart
    then List Disk
    Select Disk ? your SSD
    Clean
    convert GPT
    Exit

continue on with cloning your hard drive to your SSD

Clintlgm, Feb 9, 2016
  2. xpac5896 Win User

thank you for that Clintlgm, I sure did need that. I had decided to query Diskpart, forgotten so much cause I don't use the stuff every day. I did review the video again in regards to shrinking the partition but, in the video I do believe that he is going from a large disk to a large disk. Problem, to reduce the size of a large partition, say 900 gigs by 450megs to a 512 disk will not work. I would think that you would have to shrink the 900gig partition down first and see what you come up with. I was going to try that using Disk management but the partition is still to large for the 512. Shrink will not allow you to go beyond the point where unmovable files are located. Macrium Reflect, in my opinion, is probably the best to use for same size disk but going from large to small, I just don't see it.

xpac5896, Feb 9, 2016
  3. Clintlgm Win User
    It will work you can Shrink that C:\ down as much as you have data in it. In the video he is cloning a 1TB hard drive to a 512 Gb SSD. He even shows you how to calculate the exact size you need to shrink C:\ partition to make it fit. If you have more data in that partition, then you will have to move the data to another hard drive. your only shrinking empty space. if you have more then 450 GB of data on that hard drive you will have to move it somewhere else before you clone.
    In the video at 7:10 he is moving the C:\ 910 GB down to the smaller 500 GB SSD at that point he explains for you how to shrink that partition so that it and the Recovery partition will fit.

Clintlgm, Feb 9, 2016
  4. xpac5896 Win User

SSD cloned backwards

OK, you're right. I guess I was just getting wrapped around the wheel. I copied the video so I'll have it to refer to.

xpac5896, Feb 9, 2016
  5. Clintlgm Win User
    Yes all this UEFI stuff gave us all a hard time for while. Luckily we have these forums with really sharp tool type people to show us the way and help us understand better this new technology. Next is NVMe SSD even more confusion but amazing speed 4 times faster than these current SATA SSD's. Good luck an be sure to let us know when you have success.

Clintlgm, Feb 10, 2016
  6. xpac5896 Win User
    I would like to address Winuser. In your screenshot of your hard drive, the disk is correctly partitioned, however in my screen shot (see below) you will notice something different. I commented in the screen shot for better understanding. Looking at the use of Macrium Reflect and the way it clones drives, in my opinion is THE best to use when doing cloning and thanks to Clintlgm for enlightening me on this. I'm sure that there are others out there that feel that, because the system boots after they have used the enclosed Data Migration program that came with the drive, everything is ok. However that is not the case. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everyone who has migrated has used the factory program, I'm just say some, like me, who don't understand the consequences of an improper cloning and thinks that the factory program will properly partition their hard drive. Thank goodness for forums. There are people out there who have done many things and made the mistakes and corrected them through trial and error and, I must admit, know more about whats going on than the so called pros.

xpac5896, Feb 11, 2016
  7. xpac5896 Win User
    Now that I have followed Clintlgm's lead on this, I'm happy to say my disk is now cloned the proper way and is running fine. I do have to admit that I was a little apprehensive once I started the process but, like I said, everything is just fine. My next project will be to put an SSD in my laptop and now that I know how to do it, it'll be a snap. Thanks again Clintlgm and thanks for the Macrium Reflect.

xpac5896, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

SSD cloned backwards

1. SSD cloned backwards - Similar Threads - SSD cloned backwards

2. HDD to SSD clone.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD to SSD clone.: Want to transfer my whole operating system along with the data from a HDD to a SSD but don't know how to do it. Help needed. SSD not yet bought so suggestion on what company to buy from are welcome. Currently using western digital wd10spzx-60z10t0 1TB. Let me know if more...
  3. SSD to SSD clone, cloned SSD has poor performance

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD to SSD clone, cloned SSD has poor performance: Hi all, Cloned the OEM drive in an HP Elitebook 850 G5 yesterday, to a Kingston A2000. I used Clonezilla, everything went off without a hitch. The reason for this was because I needed more space; 250GB to 500. Throw the new drive in, boot up, and the thing is quite slow....
  4. Backwards cloning of system disk?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backwards cloning of system disk?: Hello All, I installed an SSD on my wife's laptop and did a clean install of Windows 10 ver. 1809 on the SSD. I see now that free software exists to clone an HDD to an SSD (MiniTool Partition Wizard Free). HP has made it rough to get to the hard drive and I do not fancy...
  5. Clone SSD to bigger SSD

Clone SSD to bigger SSD: Been trying to get my new 480 gig Sandisk to take a direct clone from my old Sandisk 128 gig SSD and all the programs I've tried keep assigning separate drive letters to each partition and then the bigger SSD wont even boot right. It boots to a blank 10 blue screen with two...
  6. Clone ssd

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone ssd: Hi all if I want to install a 500gb ssd can I clone my 120 ssd to it. Its not my c drive its the g drive I just need more room for games I will be giving the old ssd to my son to make a boot drive 67592
  7. SSD cloned ..?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD cloned ..?: Hi All I just cloned the new SSD from 128GB to 256GB And the main partition is not quite exactly the same I don't have the star screw driver to replace it yet .. so I don't know if it works or not Any advice Thanks [img] 21028
  8. ssd cloning.... help

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    ssd cloning.... help: I am looking for some help as this is driving me crazy, I am attempting to upgrade a dell inspiron 3157 to a ssd. I cloned the drive with Acronis true 2014 (it came with the ssd). the clone was succesful but when i install into the bay I get error code 0x0000225 (failed to...
  9. SSD Clone to SSD

SSD Clone to SSD: Hey, I am cloning several computers for work with the exact same hardware. I have a working computer with a SSD and HDD. When I clone the SSD and start up the same computer with the SSD switched windows will not load and it gives me the standard missing required files to...
  10. Cloning to SSD

Cloning to SSD: First question here on 10 forum but used 7 forum lots. Anyway I am trying to clone the HDD? reduced partion to 450GB so as to be less than theSSD on my laptop. Trying to clone to a Samsung EVO 850 500GB. I have used the Samsung migration software and a version of EaseUS both...