Windows 10: SSD disk active time at 100 with no read/write

Discus and support SSD disk active time at 100 with no read/write in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi. So ever since the 20H2 update, my computer randomly freezes with disk active time sitting at 100 with no read and write. I can move my mouse and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Rudidl, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Rudidl Win User

SSD disk active time at 100 with no read/write

Hi.

So ever since the 20H2 update, my computer randomly freezes with disk active time sitting at 100 with no read and write. I can move my mouse and I can move Windows around, but I can't click on anything or alt+tab. It happens while navigating different windows and browser tabs. For example closing a Youtube tab, or opening Paint. I can play games for hours straight and it won't happen once.

SSD disk active time at 100 with no read/write 3d6a5893-9f4d-472b-a100-53aa63bcbb38?upload=true.png

What the error log says:

SSD disk active time at 100 with no read/write b6f988d1-6f38-4474-9546-c8ba4f41f737?upload=true.png

I've had this exact same issue before and the fix then was to change MSISupported in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7901&SUBSYS_7A331462&REV_51\4&2b9cc193&0&0241\Device Parameters\Interrupt Management\MessageSignaledInterruptProperties from 1 to 0, however this time it hasn't worked.

What I've tried:

1 Ran file check sfc /scannow
    2 Ran check disk scan
    3 Changed the registry key mentioned above
    4 Changed the SATA cable
    5 Changed the power plan settings to high performance

Specs:

MSI 370 Gaming Plus motherboard

Ryzen 5 1600 CPU

ADATA SP550 128GB SSD About 2 years old

16GB Balistix 2400 DDR4

Nvidia GTX 1070

Windows fully up to date. Running built in WIndows AHCI drivers where I think the problem possibly could be.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

:)

Rudidl, Jan 5, 2021
  2. TexTwil Win User

SSD Disk Active time 100%

Hi,
    I have a relatively fresh installation of Windows 10 but it often gets very laggy.
    - Any window takes a while to open
    - Even typing on the keyboard has a delay
    - Programs not responding

I did the usual checks such as
    - Antivirus / Antispyware
    - Drivers update

I noticed that my C: SSD disk is often at 100% "Active Time". There are some processes writing/reading from the SSD but that something the SSD should handle without freezing the entire OS.

SSD disk active time at 100 with no read/write [​IMG]

Any ideas what's wrong?

cheers,
    Tex

TexTwil, Jan 5, 2021
  3. System Disk Jumps to 100% Active Time with 0 Read or Write

There are a lot of background processes running so disk activity is occasional.

Crystal Disk Report can see how much read/write there is and estimate the remaining service life

SSD generally should last > 5 years in a typical gaming PC.

Hardcore Games™, Jan 5, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

SSD Disk Active time 100%

Ok, that's great you've got your disk activity down- but is it permanent- solved? Good news about AHCI too. Would have been difficult if not.

I've run the same test on my SSD (see my specs) - write performance appears very poor though.

Perhaps I'd prefer to believe these figures from Crystal Diskmark- try this program and see if you get different results. (The tests may not be precisely identical...).

Here's a different top pick:

dalchina, Jan 5, 2021
Thema:

1. SSD disk active time at 100 with no read/write - Similar Threads - SSD disk active

2. 100% usage on SSD with no read or write

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    100% usage on SSD with no read or write: One day I shut down my PC and the next morning my drive was at 100% usage and every time I tried to open the drive on the file explorer it freezes up and restarts. I tried formatting the drive but was unable to since it was "in use". I've tried all I can to resolve the issue...
  3. 100% usage on SSD with no read or write

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    100% usage on SSD with no read or write: One day I shut down my PC and the next morning my drive was at 100% usage and every time I tried to open the drive on the file explorer it freezes up and restarts. I tried formatting the drive but was unable to since it was "in use". I've tried all I can to resolve the issue...
  4. 100% usage on SSD with no read or write

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Disk 100% usage with no read or write.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk 100% usage with no read or write.: I got an error task amanger indicating that disk 100% usage with no read or wrtie.I tried clean boot, reset virtual memory, update windows 11 to the newest update, sfc, dism, memory check, and disk repair. It still does not work well. It start the error when heavy load occurs...
  6. ssd 100% activity, but no reads/writes system freezes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    ssd 100% activity, but no reads/writes system freezes: So i've had a problem where my ssd reaches 100% activity, but 0 reads/writes.I dismissed it for a while, because i thought that my ssd was dying. I bought a new ssd in july, and i noticed that the issues were percisting. Windows was freshly installed, so there couldn't be...
  7. 100% Disk Activity Time with no read or write with detailed diag inside

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% Disk Activity Time with no read or write with detailed diag inside: Hello,So far nobody was able to determine what the issue is so I'll try my luck here as well.This problem started happening recently the disk E: was running fine and no changes made to the OS recently.When you try to read/transfer anything big from the disk you get this...
  8. Disk Activity at 100% with low Read/Write

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Activity at 100% with low Read/Write: Windows Version: 20H2 OS Build 19042.804 Hey Everyone, I recently updated from W7 to W10 and now my PC has been running very slow. My disk usage is typically no higher than 40% however I am pretty much always at 100% active. I have tried multiple things online; however...
  9. System Disk Jumps to 100% Active Time with 0 Read or Write

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Disk Jumps to 100% Active Time with 0 Read or Write: Hello, this is my first time posting on the forum, but the problem I have is that whenever I am playing a game, the system diskSamsung 970 Evo would randomly jump to 100% usage with 0 write and 0 read even if the game is installed on another drive. Sometimes only the game...
  10. SSD Disk Active time 100%

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD Disk Active time 100%: Hi, I have a relatively fresh installation of Windows 10 but it often gets very laggy. - Any window takes a while to open - Even typing on the keyboard has a delay - Programs not responding I did the usual checks such as - Antivirus / Antispyware - Drivers update...