Windows 10: SSD disk space required for Win 10 OS with programs installed

Discus and support SSD disk space required for Win 10 OS with programs installed in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My SSD is 256GB with 2 partitions. One for the OS (50GB) the other for data (188GB). My OS installation with programs installed takes up 30GB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ncsercs, Oct 10, 2019.

1. ncsercs Win User

SSD disk space required for Win 10 OS with programs installed

My SSD is 256GB with 2 partitions. One for the OS (50GB) the other for data (188GB).

My OS installation with programs installed takes up 30GB (w/recycle bin, 4GB page, no hibernate).

Is this sufficient or do I need to expand the OS partition?

Thanks!

:)

ncsercs, Oct 10, 2019
  2. BillinCA Win User

Windows 10 Installation Space Requirement on SSD

Hi,

I boot Windows 7 from a 64gb SSD and use HDDs mainly for storage and running other software. My question is will I be able to install Windows 10 upgrade on the SSD with only 7gb of free space? I understand Win 10 needs 20gb and I have plenty space on my
    two HDDs for like downloading. I understand that Windows 10 will most likely install into Win 7's space, but I am more concern about the extra temporary space needed for downloading/pre-installation and during installation. Any direction will be appreciated.
    Thank you for your time and help.

Bill

BillinCA, Oct 11, 2019
  3. 32gig SSD - Win 10 install

My objective is to: run Win 10 on a 32gig SSD

Can it be done?

What are the implications?

What are the considerations?

What do I need to setup once done to ensure that only system necessary items are saved onto the SSD?

Are there things (programs) that must be with the OS?

I want to run a media PC and I am looking to fit a quiet and fast drive (I own already) for the operating system (Inc. future updates) only. There will be storage drives for other programs.

I will look into stripping non essential items that Win doesn't NEED to run. Feel free to list them if you knows the space hogs?

WaynePullen, Oct 11, 2019
  4. HLL_544 Win User

Saving free space on SSD (Regarding multiple obligatory partitions on main drive)

Gerry Here just copy-paste some irrelevant response.

Well, **I've figured it out**. Here my solution (I Take no responsibility from any damage that might arise from this process, and I do not guarantee it to work for u.)

We'll assume u have 2 disks; SSD and HDD.

Also NOTE: I Work in a GPT-Disk partitioning scheme, I don't know if it's applicable on dos-style MBR partitioning.

General-methodology wich we are going to work with (or TL;DR).

• Delete all partitions on all drive
    • Install Windows on the HDD Drive
    • Install Windows on the SSD Drive (yes, twice!)
    • Repartition the HDD to free up and reallocate as we wish (The only parition that HAVE to be there is the EUFI System (Fat) )
    • After freeing up HDD space, move user folder to the HDD
    • PROFIT
    And in more detail:

THIS GUIDE ASSUME THIS IS A FRESH PC - THAT U DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING U NEED ON EITHER DISKS.

* - Asterisk, not a real step, just additional information

• Boot into windows 10 installation
    • Clear ALL partitions on BOTH drives
    • Let windows install itself onto the HDD, We'll call this installation win-hdd
      • There is no need to actually boot into this OS.
    • Boot into windows 10 installation
    • Let windows install itself onto the SSD. We'll call this installation win-ssd
      • *What would happen now, Is that windows detects the recovery and eufi partitions and does not need to create such additional partitions on your ssd. It would only create a 16MB windows reserved partition.
      • *Your boot partition would be hdd/eufi; But since windows detect it's own bootloader it would allow you to duel-boot between win-hdd and win-ssd(default)
    • Optional: During windows-ssd first run wizard switch to audit mode (CTRL+SHIFT+F3)
      • *We would use audit mode to:
        • * Optional1: Repartition hdd
        • * Optional2: Change "Users" folder to the hdd.
        • * If u do not want to move Users folder, u can do 6.2 After win-ssd fully boots instead
      • Repartition hdd & move Users folder:
        • Using a 3rd party tool such as "MiniTool Partition Wizard" you can do the fallowing *as you wish*:
          • Delete win-hdd partition
          • Delete recovery-hdd partition
          • Delete windows reserved (16 mb) partition.
          • You can also later move the EUFI to the start of the hdd disk, if needed
          • Create new partition (free to use) on hdd.
          • Make sure to properly assign drive letters to all drive as u wish
          • Fallow
            this guide
            to relocate the User folder (Starting from Step 2)
    • Boot into windows-ssd; If u do not know which one (int the OS selection screen) It's safe to assume that the automatically-selected one is the win-ssd.
    • If u have not performed 6.2 Yet, this is the time to do that now.
    GLHF.

HLL_544, Oct 11, 2019
Thema:

1. SSD disk space required for Win 10 OS with programs installed - Similar Threads - SSD disk space

2. Extend OS Disk Memory with Unallocated Space

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Extend OS Disk Memory with Unallocated Space: Hello Microsoft Team, I recently nuked my Image partition in my SSD which freed up 12GB of Space. The total space of SSD is 256GB. My current OS volume only shows 222 GB as total available OS memory. [ATTACH] Now I would like to add the unallocated space to the OS volume...
  3. Disk Controller Error on installing Win 10 on SSD

Disk Controller Error on installing Win 10 on SSD: I have been trying to install windows on my new SSD Crucial BX500 240GB. Its giving an error saying - : Windows cannot be installed on this disk.This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk .Ensure that disk controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu....
  4. Clean install of Win 10 Pro using excessive space on SSD

Clean install of Win 10 Pro using excessive space on SSD: I am rebuilding a PC for a friend's schoolboy son. I have incorporated a 256 SSD which I did not partition before installing the OS, aka it is a single partition. After installing Win 10 Pro and minimal software Libre Office, Chrome, Kaspersky Security apps and a couple of...
  5. How to Install Win 10 x64, Retail on SSD Disk

How to Install Win 10 x64, Retail on SSD Disk: I have Win 10 x64 Retail installed on my hard drive and I want to install it on SSD disk. I have Windows 10 as an iso file that I downloaded from a Microsoft site. How can I do this? And would there be any problems with the installation? Thank you for your help. Best...
  6. A Solution - Free Space OS SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A Solution - Free Space OS SSD: IF you have a smallish OS SSD and need/want to increase its free space and IF you use OneDrive and IF you have another drive available, internal or External, for storage... The OneDrive folder may account for a big chunk of the Used Space on the SSD. It may, even, be...
  7. Minimum programs required for Windows 10 OS to function

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Minimum programs required for Windows 10 OS to function: I'm trying to configure a Software Restriction Policy in a user's GPO to "lock-down" a Windows 10 machine. The device will only run the programs essential to running the OS. I will then only allow the programs the end user needs to perform their tasks. So far I have...
  8. Basic SATA disk or SSD for OS?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Basic SATA disk or SSD for OS?: Windows 10 x64 Pro, v1803, OS build 17134.165. OS disk: WDC WD10EZEX-08M2NA0, basic internal SATA, 1Tb, 56% full. I often find, for the first 15-30 minutes after startup, that the operating system disk is running at 100% active (from Task Mgr), with average response times of...
  9. What is the Disk Space Requirement for Windows 10 Fall Update?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    What is the Disk Space Requirement for Windows 10 Fall Update?: Hi, I have a Nextpad device that comes with Windows 10 installed on it. I did not yet install any user application on it, and the File Explorer reports that it has about 16G out of a total 28G disk space available. Now Windows Update has found the Windows 10 Fall Update and...
  10. cloning win 10 os disk

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    cloning win 10 os disk: Evening folks. I have a win 7 pc which I clone with Norton Ghost 15 on boot cd which gets me out of trouble regularly especially when trying new software out. I also have a win 10 laptop which does not work with NGhost, presumably because of the UEFI file system or...