Windows 10: SSD drive fills up when running an application

Discus and support SSD drive fills up when running an application in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just notice something strange that everytime, I try to use an application or logged into soemthing the C: Drive fills up, I had about 11 GB of space... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ArthurFrd, Nov 23, 2020.

1. ArthurFrd Win User

SSD drive fills up when running an application

I just notice something strange that everytime, I try to use an application or logged into soemthing the C: Drive fills up, I had about 11 GB of space left, launch a vm ,which is installed in the D: drive, it consumes space on the C: drive and when I shut it down, it somehow revert back to 11 gb.,it somehow takes space, and when I shut it all down the consume space reverts.

Not sure what's going on and how do I fix this?

:)

ArthurFrd, Nov 23, 2020
  2. Anne Ros Win User

SSD storage keeps filling up on its own

Hi Ash,

There's a possibility that the files are just hidden. As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps below on how to display hidden files that's eating space of your SSD:

• On the Search bar, type folder, and then select
      Show hidden files and folders from the search results.
    • Under Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives,
      and then select OK.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Anne Ros, Nov 23, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, Nov 23, 2020
  4. SSD drive fills up when running an application

SSD 24x7 application drive?

Is a SSD a viable option for a 24x7 application drive? I do a fair amount of distributed computing (BOINC) when not gaming and am uncertain if these drives are up for sustained activity round the clock.

Divide Overflow, Nov 23, 2020
Thema:

SSD drive fills up when running an application

1. SSD drive fills up when running an application - Similar Threads - SSD drive fills

2. C drive SSD fills up automatically whilst running Windows 8.1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive SSD fills up automatically whilst running Windows 8.1: Processor Intel i7-6700 CPU @ 3.4GHz, currently running Windows 8.1 64 bit & MS Office 2013 on a 100Gbyte SSD. All my documents, music, pictures, videos are on a separate F drive 1 TB hard disk drive Raid 1. C drive subfolder useage adds up to 51 Gbyte, and yet the C drive...
  3. C drive SSD fills up automatically whilst running Windows 8.1

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C drive SSD fills up automatically whilst running Windows 8.1: Processor Intel i7-6700 CPU @ 3.4GHz, currently running Windows 8.1 64 bit & MS Office 2013 on a 100Gbyte SSD. All my documents, music, pictures, videos are on a separate F drive 1 TB hard disk drive Raid 1. C drive subfolder useage adds up to 51 Gbyte, and yet the C drive...
  4. SSD C: drive filling up for no reason

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SSD C: drive filling up for no reason: I restarted my computer and had 30 gigs free, I then turned it off and and turned it on the next day, and it only had 8 gigs left. What is going on? I have ran disk cleanup, cleared temp folder, everything is updated, and am currently running a full scan with malwarebytes....
  5. SSD C:\ drive keeps filling up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD C:\ drive keeps filling up: I'm running Windows 10 and my C drive will randomly fill up suddenly. It will go from having 30+ GB free to only 6-10. I'll use disk cleanup but find less than a GB available to delete. Yet a few days later it'll go back to having 30+ GB free again. I installed TreeSize and...
  6. Drive C SSD Fill up bot nothing is install

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drive C SSD Fill up bot nothing is install: I Buy new SSD 240GB and i got new Windows 10, and when I instal PUBG, and Formula 2020 i saw that my SSD is full of memory and this 2 games need like 70 to 80 GB. Nothing else is on SSD just 2 games and Windows and it say that i have 9GB free space left. Can you help plz?...
  7. ssd filling up automatically for no reason

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ssd filling up automatically for no reason: i bought new gaming laptop g3 3579. it has 128gb ssd and 1tb hdd . i just using laptop for browsing . but my c drive ssd storage space is keep decreasing for no reason . i searched in youtube of disk defragment . so i install software but it make it worst . my free space...
  8. My SSD (C drive) keeps filling up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My SSD (C drive) keeps filling up: It seems after a bunch of messing around with install settings that things still want to download on my little 120gb SSD instead of the bigger HDD. It’s saying I have 1.72gb available at the moment but after installing something it will fill up completely but when I check to...
  9. SSD keeps filling up

in Windows 10 Customization
    SSD keeps filling up: Hi i have just received a new laptop with a 120GB SSD with window installed on it and a 1TB HDD but everything i do goes straight to the SSD and i get an error no disk space left. how do i rectify this, i have uninstalled all my new programs to free up space but that...
  10. Windows 10 and SSD Filling Up....

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 and SSD Filling Up....: So, I've got a question about Windows 10 and my SSD getting too full. I have plenty of space, but my C: drive has 3 GB left. Is there a way to tell Windows to extend to another drive? Say when I get an update, I have another SSD, I would like Windows to start writing to the...