Windows 10: SSD drive light remains solid does not turn off

Discus and support SSD drive light remains solid does not turn off in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Another day, another format and restore, another problem with Windows 10. So now, what is causing my SSD drive access light to remain on, solid at all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by --tpmtek, Jan 7, 2021.

1. --tpmtek Win User

SSD drive light remains solid does not turn off

Another day, another format and restore, another problem with Windows 10. So now, what is causing my SSD drive access light to remain on, solid at all times yet there isn't any drive access?

:)

--tpmtek, Jan 7, 2021

2. SSD is reported as "Hard Disk Drive" instead of "Solid Sate Drive" in Windows 10 "Optimise Drives" display,

Hi,

I recently cloned my complete Windows 10 installation from a hard drive to a Crucial SSD using the Acronis Cloning software that Crucial supplied. After cloning, I removed the old hard drive and was happy to see that Windows loads fine from the new SDD,
    and everything seemed to be working fine.

However I have now noticed that the SSD (which is now my 'Drive C:') is still listed as a 'Hard Disk Drive' when I bring up the Defrag and Optimise Drive app and not as "Solid State Drive".

This is worrying me as I understood that Windows needs to correctly recognise the drive as a solid state drive in order to apply the correct optimisation policies.

My question is how can I make Wiondows 10 correctly treat the drive as a Solid State Drive?

Regards

Dave

DavidWilden, Jan 7, 2021
  3. Unable to Install Sea Of Thieves on Solid State Drive

I had Sea of Thieves installed on my harddrive, but the load times were slow so I wanted to switch it to my solid state drive. I took the following steps.

• Uninstalled Sea of Thieves
    • Navigated to the microsoft store and selected install
    • Selected C: drive (which is my ssd) as the install location
    • After completing the download I get the error: "Couldn't install. We'll retry shortly".
    I've attempted this twice with no luck. It's a large download so it takes a long time to retry, I'm hoping for an easy resolution to get this installed on my C: drive.

Thank you,

Josh

JoshuaSmith3, Jan 7, 2021
  4. BTC55 Win User

Upgrading to a solid state drive

I am considering upgrading to a Solid State Drive.

I have two basic questions that I hope someone can help me with.

• I am running Windows 10 Professional. It was the free upgrade offered for Win 7 users. If I upgrade will I have any problems reinstalling/switching to the new SSD? Is there anything I should be aware of before upgrading?
    • I have upgraded hard drives many times over the years but this is my first Solid State upgrade. In the past I was always upgrading to a larger drive. Drive software always allowed me to clone to a larger drive. This time, I will be using a smaller SSD for
      my operating system, 250 GB. My current Sata drive is 1 Tb. How do I proceed? If I simply install the smaller SSD, how do I get windows 10 on the drive? Do I install my original Windows 7 operating system and upgrade again? Will that work again? Or is there
      a way to get the Win 10 license key and install Win 10 and use that key. If so, how do I get that key.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BTC

BTC55, Jan 7, 2021
Thema:

1. SSD drive light remains solid does not turn off - Similar Threads - SSD drive light

2. Does migrating Windows 11 from my old solid drive SSD to new solid drive conserve its...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does migrating Windows 11 from my old solid drive SSD to new solid drive conserve its...: Hello. I'm a Windows 10 and Windows 11 user. So, I have a gaming laptop for study and gaming purposes which had licensed Windows 10 come preinstalled on. The laptop has a solid drive SSD Hynix 256GB NVME PCIE. I performed updating Windows 11 months ago and the license...
  3. Does migrating Windows 11 from my old solid drive SSD to new solid drive conserve its...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does migrating Windows 11 from my old solid drive SSD to new solid drive conserve its...: Hello. I'm a Windows 10 and Windows 11 user. So, I have a gaming laptop for study and gaming purposes which had licensed Windows 10 come preinstalled on. The laptop has a solid drive SSD Hynix 256GB NVME PCIE. I performed updating Windows 11 months ago and the license...
  4. Power Light remains on after turning off zenbook - windows11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power Light remains on after turning off zenbook - windows11: Help! Recently had trouble with bitlocker encryption turning itself on. Managed to fix this but now I'm presented with a PC I can't properly turn off. I've checked for driver updates. I've run troubleshooter. I've disabled quick start up. No success. The PC appears to go into...
  5. Power Light remains on after turning off zenbook - windows11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power Light remains on after turning off zenbook - windows11: Help! Recently had trouble with bitlocker encryption turning itself on. Managed to fix this but now I'm presented with a PC I can't properly turn off. I've checked for driver updates. I've run troubleshooter. I've disabled quick start up. No success. The PC appears to go into...
  6. Night Light not turning off

in Windows 10 Customization
    Night Light not turning off: Just 2 days ago the night light setting is no longer working for me, i try to disable it from action center and from settings but it keeps closing the settings window and stays on, I have tried a lot of things to help but nothing has worked so far....
  7. Night Light Turning Off

in Windows 10 Customization
    Night Light Turning Off: I have a Surface Pro X and have been having this issue for a while now: When I turn on the Night Light and have the scheduled setting on, the night light "turns off" after my device goes to sleep for a bit and then wakes back up, even if it's after sunset. When I swipe in...
  8. Internet does not remain connected when computer turned off or sleeping

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet does not remain connected when computer turned off or sleeping: I got a new laptop Lenovo IdeaPad S540 a couple months ago. Since getting it, I have had to reconnect to the internet every single time I go to use the laptop, whether it has just been sleeping or fully turned off. I read that this might be related to an issue with Windows...
  9. Hard Drive light turns off then PC freezes.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard Drive light turns off then PC freezes.: hey, guys, what's up? here's the thing, i've been having this problem for a really long time, i'm using my pc and all of the sudden everything sofwere stops responding and the hard drive light turns off, then after 30 seconds or so it starts blinking again and everything...
  10. Seagate Drive LED light won't turn OFF

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Seagate Drive LED light won't turn OFF: Hi all, I have two 4TB Seagate Backup Plus drives, I sat the drives to go to sleep after 3 min in Seagate Dashboard program, the drives do go to sleep but the LED lights won't turn off, they are always on? But if the same drives are connected to my iMac, they goes to...