Windows 10: SSD Drive not being recognized

Discus and support SSD Drive not being recognized in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello. I recently reinstalled Windows after my laptop completely stopped working correctly (got the Automatic Repair loop and accidentally messed up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by praiselinny, Jan 5, 2019.

1. SSD Drive not being recognized

Hello. I recently reinstalled Windows after my laptop completely stopped working correctly (got the Automatic Repair loop and accidentally messed up Windows). Anyways, I got my laptop fixed and reinstalled Windows, but the only drive being recognized is my HDD (as the C: drive) and isn't recognizing my SSD drive (should be the D: drive).

I looked up stuff online and most people said to check out Disk Management and my SSD drive is being recognized on there. It's being recognized as Disk 0 while my HDD is being recognized as Disk. In the bottom panel, tt says my SSD (Disk 0) has 1863 GB of unallocated memory and it says it's online. However, the only things showing up in the upper panel are the C: and System Reserve.

I'm not quite sure how to get my laptop to recognize the D: drive (SSD). Also, many people online said to convert (?) the SSD to NTFS, but when I right-click the SSD in the bottom panel the only options I get is "Convert to Dynamic Disk" or "Convert to GPT Disk."

How would I go about getting my laptop to recognize the SSD? I mean, I could live with 118 GB on my HDD, but it kinda hurts me a little bit inside. I love games too much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also, if you need any more info, please let me know! Thanks SSD Drive not being recognized :D SSD Drive not being recognized efe31800-e4c8-48e0-9e4f-e23f7ee00112?upload=true.png

:)

praiselinny, Jan 5, 2019

2. Windows 10 not recognizing SSD in external drive docking station

I just purchased a WD Blue SSD to replace an existing HDD as the primary drive in my laptop. I have a Nekteck external drive docking station that I am trying to use to clone the primary drive. When I insert the SSD it is not recognized as a drive. If
    I view Devices I can see the dock and I can see that it recognizes the WD drive is in the doc and says the device is working properly. However I cannot get the OS to recognize it as a drive in file manager. It does recognize one of my other HDD drives just
    fine. I appreciate any suggestions.

Chris Szy22, Jan 5, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, Jan 5, 2019
  4. SSD Drive not being recognized

backup drive not recognized

Hi,

As per the description, I understand that the external backup is not being recognized. I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter and check for status.

• Type “Troubleshooting” in search box and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” option on top left pane.
    • Select “Hardware and Devices” from the list and follow the prompts for troubleshooting.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Thank you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jan 5, 2019
Thema:

SSD Drive not being recognized

1. SSD Drive not being recognized - Similar Threads - SSD Drive being

2. External hard drive not being recognized

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive not being recognized: MYBook external hard drive is not being recognized by my PC. What can I do? The power light is on but nothing comes up and I can't open it up to see data. I have tried numerous things....full of memories and pictures. Please help...
  3. External hard drive not being recognized

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive not being recognized: MYBook external hard drive is not being recognized by my PC. What can I do? The power light is on but nothing comes up and I can't open it up to see data. I have tried numerous things....full of memories and pictures. Please help...
  4. SSD Drive Not recognized.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD Drive Not recognized.: HP Notebook 15-ef0025wm. My SSD with Windows 10 crashed on my PC. I've replaced it by a new one, but Bios uefi doesn't see it. I got the bios firmware updated with the help of a USB. The SSD driver file is however an .exe file, by hp and could only be launching on an already...
  5. SSD Drive Not recognized.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD Drive Not recognized.: HP Notebook 15-ef0025wm. My SSD with Windows 10 crashed on my PC. I've replaced it by a new one, but Bios uefi doesn't see it. I got the bios firmware updated with the help of a USB. The SSD driver file is however an .exe file, by hp and could only be launching on an already...
  6. D:\ drive not being recognized

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    D:\ drive not being recognized: Suddenly, when I insert a DV-R or a CD-RW in the D:\ drive of my desktop, I get a message... "Windows cannot read the disk in Drive D:\. Any solutions.I can see the Drive when I open device manager. Tried uninstall, and then reinstall, Also tried to update said...
  7. ssd being recognized as hdd after clone

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ssd being recognized as hdd after clone: I went to upgrade my hard drive to a ssd -using macrium to clone it- and its being recognized as a hard disk drive with computer performance being just as slow as the original hard drive. I've already tired update driver, winsat formal, and winsat diskformal both ran as...
  8. M.2 SSD no longer being recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    M.2 SSD no longer being recognized: Six months or so ago I purchased an M.2 SSD and transferred windows from my old SSD to the new one. I've had no issues up until today but when I tried to boot my computer, windows randomly didn't recognize my SSD. It said reboot and select proper boot device. I've tried...
  9. M.2 SSD no longer being recognized

in Windows 10 Support
    M.2 SSD no longer being recognized: Six months or so ago I purchased an M.2 SSD and transferred windows from my old SSD to the new one. I've had no issues up until today but when I tried to boot my computer, windows randomly didn't recognize my SSD. It said reboot and select proper boot device. I've tried...
  10. External Drive No Longer Being Recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Drive No Longer Being Recognized: I have been using an external drive with my computer for a while now, but lately my computer has been having difficulty recognizing that it is plugged in. I know for a fact that power is being given to the external drive because it lights up and I can feel it running....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows my ssd is being recognized as an external drive instead of internal

2. my lenovo does not recognize my sdd

3. January 2019 windows 10 not recognizing flash drive