Windows 10: ssd drive Soft ECC Correction

Discus and support ssd drive Soft ECC Correction in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; i been using this ssd in this laptop SK hynix SC308 SATA 256GB i been using drive for a while i have reinstalled OS without erasing ssd... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by sniperjul, Jun 18, 2019.

1. sniperjul Win User

ssd drive Soft ECC Correction

i been using this ssd in this laptop SK hynix SC308 SATA 256GB

i been using drive for a while

i have reinstalled OS without erasing ssd before when i did this way smart soft ecc correction would always show stats

it would go up as i use computer /drive

The other day i decided to erase it by using bios wipe feature then i reinstalled windows 10 home

but i noticed smarts stats Soft ECC Correction correction goes only to 22 max ive seen its mostly at 0 now

my thoughts are why its 0 because it not moving data to new blocks yet because there all empty blocks and has plenty of free blocks

but when it runs out of empty blocks and garbage collection starts it will move data around and apply ecc correction code to data

i need to know is this normal

let me know your thoughts or information

204 Soft ECC Correction 0 100 1 0 0x000000000000

:)

sniperjul, Jun 18, 2019
  2. a.muliar Win User

Unable to assign drive letter to SSD partition

I have recently installed a new SSD drive into my PC. It has bootable Windows 7 with two "healthy" primary partitions 500MB and 111GB. However it is impossible to assign drive letter to any of these partitions. Right-clicking on each partition gives grayed
    menu options except "Delete Volume". How to assign drive letters to these partitions?

SMART data is OK:

SMART READ DATA

Revision: 10

Attributes List

1: (SSD Raw Read Error Rate) Normalized Rate: 120 Sectors Read: 0 Read Errors: 0

5: (SSD Retired Block Count) Spare blocks remaining 100% Retired Block 0

9: (SSD Power-On Hours) Value 88 Total 10820 hrs 35 mins

12: (SSD Power Cycle Count) Power Cycle Life Remaining 100% Number of power cycles 0

171: (SSD Program Fail Count) Program Error Count 0

172: (SSD Erase Fail Count) Erase Error Count 0

174: (SSD Unexpected power loss count) Unexpected power loss Count 49

177: (Wear Range Delta) Wear Range Delta 19%

181: (Program Fail Count) Program Error Count 0

182: (Erase Fail Count) Erase Error Count 0

187: (SSD Reported Uncorrectable Errors) Normalized Value 100 lifetime URAISE Errors 0

189: (Unrecognized Attribute) Value: 35 Raw Data: 23 00 41 00 11 00 00

194: (SSD Temperature Monitoring) Normalized temp 35 Current 35 High 65 Low 17

195: (SSD ECC On-the-fly Count) Normalized Value 120 Sectors Read 0 UECC Count 0

196: (SSD Reallocation Event Count) Normalized Value 100 Reallocation Event Count 0

201: (SSD Uncorrectable Soft Read Error Rate)Normalized Value 120 Sectors Read 0 Uncorrectable Soft Error Count 0

204: (SSD Soft ECC Correction Rate (RAISE) Normalized Value 120 Sectors Read 0 Soft ECC Correction Count 0

230: (SSD Life Curve Status) Normalized Value 100

231: (SSD Life Left) Life Remaining 97%

233: (SSD Internal Reserved) 16666

234: (SSD Internal Reserved) 12389

241: (SSD Lifetime writes from host) lifetime writes 12389

242: (SSD Lifetime reads from host) lifetime reads 5398

a.muliar, Jun 18, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, Jun 18, 2019
  4. WesKlatt Win User

Upgrading HP SSD drive on HP 750-524

I purchased an HP Envy tower with a 128Gb SSD which is where Windows is installed, I have purchased a new 1TB SSD drive that I would like to replace the 128 GB drive with. My machine did not come with the Windows 10 Media, what steps do I need to take before
    I install the new drive and install windows.

• Where do I get the Windows 10 install
    • What steps are needed to create an Install disk
    • Do I have to deactivate my old install before removing the old drive.
    Please let me know if there are any other considerations.

Best Regards,

Wes

WesKlatt, Jun 18, 2019
Thema:

1. ssd drive Soft ECC Correction - Similar Threads - ssd drive Soft

2. The Soft Power

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Soft Power: I’m agreed with the decision https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-soft-power/89ac6c9d-ec94-4cfe-92da-00653be8e8ff
  3. The Soft Power

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The Soft Power: I’m agreed with the decision https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-soft-power/89ac6c9d-ec94-4cfe-92da-00653be8e8ff
  4. Windows Optimise Drives Lists SSD as HDD. How to correct this?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Optimise Drives Lists SSD as HDD. How to correct this?: I have a system with two RAIDs of SSD drives. Windows 10 Optimise Drives correctly list one as Media Type SSD. But it lists the other as HDD. This means it does not schedule a retrim on the drive but defragmentation. Microsoft does not recommend that an SSD be defragmented...
  5. Windows Optimise Drives Lists SSD as HDD. How to correct this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Optimise Drives Lists SSD as HDD. How to correct this?: I have a system with two RAIDs of SSD drives. Windows 10 Optimise Drives correctly list one as Media Type SSD. But it lists the other as HDD. This means it does not schedule a retrim on the drive but defragmentation. Microsoft does not recommend that an SSD be defragmented...
  6. Windows Optimise Drives Lists SSD as HDD. How to correct this?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. ECC DDR4 for

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ECC DDR4 for: Hi, just upgraded my system from Win7 Home to Win10 Home in the process bought a new mobo, cpu and cooler, and memory. I am running Win10 v 1909 (OS build 18363.535) on a MSI X570-A PRO (MS-7C37) mb, a AMD Ryzen 7 2700x cpu and 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400Mhz non-ecc...
  8. New 17" Laptop: Xeon vs i7/i9 and ECC or Non-ECC RAM?

New 17" Laptop: Xeon vs i7/i9 and ECC or Non-ECC RAM?: I found out that I can use my continuing education money to get reimbursed for a laptop. I currently have a Dell Precision 3520 15" with a Xeon processor and ECC RAM. I was looking at options for the Dell 7730 17" and was curious if the Xeon is even worth it. I can get a...
  9. Memory ID-ECC or non-ECC?

Memory ID-ECC or non-ECC?: I thought I had 16GB of RAM, but two of my four cards are only 1 GB. I'd like to replace them but I can't recall whether I have ECC or non-ECC RAM. Is there an easy way to check? 84376
  10. .ecc Extension And Deleting ?

in Windows 10 Support
    .ecc Extension And Deleting ?: Hello, Heard that anything with a .ecc extension is a crypto virus, so i did a search. Found over a thousand of them ! So I tried deleting them, to the Recyle Bin. They don't show up there, at all. In Agent Ransack, they now seem to come up as:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. soft ecc correction

2. soft ecc correction rate

3. What smart soft correction for SSD