Windows 10: Ssd drive swap between laptop and pc nearly weekly

Discus and support Ssd drive swap between laptop and pc nearly weekly in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a dektop and a laptop. Im studiing at university and i'd started to think about puttink my ssd into my laptop when I need to bring it to school... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Toxic29, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Toxic29 Win User

Ssd drive swap between laptop and pc nearly weekly

I have a dektop and a laptop. Im studiing at university and i'd started to think about puttink my ssd into my laptop when I need to bring it to school and put it back to my desktop when I dont need it in the laptop.

I already tried it out once to test de laptop perfirmance with ssd and it worked, but i wounder could it cause issues with drivers or even the licence after a time.

I have the same student licence in both computers.

:)

Toxic29, Mar 5, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, Mar 5, 2019
  3. How do install my copy of Windows 10 on an SSD that I will then swap for the internal SSD in my Dell Laptop?

I bought a new 500Gb 2.5" SSD and an external USB Hard Drive Case.

I want to do a fresh install of Windows 10 on this drive externally, then swap it for the existing 125 Gb SSD in my Dell Inspiron 11 laptop.

I do not have a registration key for Windows 10 as it was preinstalled, and I am concerned that:

1. The laptop may have a custom Dell installation, ie unique drivers and mods

2. I will lose my registration

3. I will lose all my software installations

4. The laptop will not boot the drive after I swap it in

Please give me step by step instructions and a heads up of any problems I may encounter and should avoid.

Thanks

Peter

PeterBreis, Mar 5, 2019
  4. Ssd drive swap between laptop and pc nearly weekly

Swap drive with Windows 10

Hi,

I had a laptop that was upgraded to Windows 10 on SSD drive. Since i have bought another Laptop that came with normal drive. I have Windows 10 installed on new laptop.

I want to swap SSD from old laptop to new laptop. Is it matter of just replacing the hardrives?

If I do swap the drive it will have Windows that was activated on older laptop. I have product stickers on both laptop however both were upgraded from windows 7 Home Edition.

Please suggest best way of doing this?

ronaldo9r9, Mar 5, 2019
Thema:

Ssd drive swap between laptop and pc nearly weekly

1. Ssd drive swap between laptop and pc nearly weekly - Similar Threads - Ssd drive swap

2. SSD swapping, laggy PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD swapping, laggy PC: I have recently upgraded my SSD, and suddenly everything is lagging, and the games I play are very glitchy and laggy. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-swapping-laggy-pc/cb4649b2-b9e9-465b-8d7e-6d94d7e3f54e
  3. swapping boot drives between PC's

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    swapping boot drives between PC's: I'm upgrading my PC and am changing from 8th gen intel to 13th gen, among other things, meaning I need to change my motherboard. Can I just take my boot drive nvme drive and chuck it in the new build or do I need to do something more complex? Will it require me to reactivate...
  4. swapping boot drives between PC's

in Windows 10 Gaming
    swapping boot drives between PC's: I'm upgrading my PC and am changing from 8th gen intel to 13th gen, among other things, meaning I need to change my motherboard. Can I just take my boot drive nvme drive and chuck it in the new build or do I need to do something more complex? Will it require me to reactivate...
  5. swapping boot drives between PC's

6. Swap windows HDD between laptops.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Swap windows HDD between laptops.: Me and my friend wish to swap our laptops. One is HP and other is Dell. Both had OEM windows and office. will it work? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/swap-windows-hdd-between-laptops/bdcf0804-eb70-4a62-8b88-f3784cf2c49e
  7. Swap windows HDD between laptops.

Swap windows HDD between laptops.: Me and my friend wish to swap our laptops. One is HP and other is Dell. Both had OEM windows and office. will it work? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/swap-windows-hdd-between-laptops/bdcf0804-eb70-4a62-8b88-f3784cf2c49e
  8. Swapping SSDs between laptop and desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Swapping SSDs between laptop and desktop: I'm looking to swap the SSD from my laptop (512GB) with the SSD in my desktop (256GB). Both have windows already installed and contain different files. I'm having a tough time figuring out whether or not this will work, so any advice would be appreciated! Create a clone of...
  9. Swapping Hard Drives Between Different Brand Laptops

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Swapping Hard Drives Between Different Brand Laptops: I have a Toshiba Satellite with a bad motherboard dropped. I cloned the drive to an SSD and placed it in a new HP. In the Bluetooth devices section, the 2 devices are still listed but I cannot pair them nor can I delete them. I have also tried using a BT dongle with no...
  10. A tale of swapping SSD and HDD between laptops

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A tale of swapping SSD and HDD between laptops: So, i created another question thread as it was solved previously https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-no-longer-bootable-on-ssd/263bd87e-0bfb-4d58-8e9e-e7d539b6e539?messageId=23142eb3-8cdf-41a6-9406-c8d50a8fdea1 The...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. swapping ssd with windows 10 to another pc