Windows 10: SSD - Fast Start Up - Is it a good idea?

Discus and support SSD - Fast Start Up - Is it a good idea? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I must admit I don't know much about SSD drives. My current desktop (500 gb Samsung Evo) is the first time I've ever had one. So I worry about how... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Scottyboy99, May 10, 2016.

1. SSD - Fast Start Up - Is it a good idea?

I must admit I don't know much about SSD drives. My current desktop (500 gb Samsung Evo) is the first time I've ever had one. So I worry about how quick they can wear out and of course fast start up is a feature switched on by default by MS. So is it a bad idea to have fast start up enabled with an SSD? The boot time impact over a restart probably gains a few seconds but is it going to cause excessive writes to the point it'll wear out within a couple years? Mine has only used about half the drives storage capacity and hopefully I don't see that increasing anytime soon as I install all games on the mechanical secondary HD - does having a large amount of space spare help with increasing it's longevity.

I've left mine enabled as even for a small boot speed gain it's worthwhile but I do wonder if MS should be enabling this feature for SSD systems. The masses are probably unaware of such a feature and the ability to switch it on or off.

Cheers,
    Wayne

:)

Scottyboy99, May 10, 2016
  2. JimWynne Win User

Is it a good idea to extend C drive partition (SSD) with space from mechanical drive partition?

You can't extend a partition across two physical drives.

JimWynne, May 10, 2016
  3. Is it a good idea to extend C drive partition (SSD) with space from mechanical drive partition?

Hi,

I just got a new laptop with 256 GB SSD which is my C drive, and other 1 TB partition from mechanical drive. what if I extend size of my C drive taking storage space from the other 1 TB partition? will it degrade performance of C drive?

ASHUTOSH BAROT, May 10, 2016
  4. SSD - Fast Start Up - Is it a good idea?

Basically Fast Boot doesn't do a full shutdown as it logs users off and keeps the Windows kernal loaded. Fast Start doesn't really have much affect on the SSD as it does with other things.

The Pros and Cons of Windows 10 Mode

orlbuckeye, May 10, 2016
  5. Personally, I think the fears over usage on SSDs are overblown. You have an excellent one, same one I'm using in a new tower build. I wouldn't give it much thought, in terms of the SSD.

DeaconFrost, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

SSD - Fast Start Up - Is it a good idea?

1. SSD - Fast Start Up - Is it a good idea? - Similar Threads - SSD Fast Start

2. Why would microsoft think it is good idea to take over a person's computer on start up?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why would microsoft think it is good idea to take over a person's computer on start up?: Just wondering why Microsoft have considered it a great idea to remind the population that since we are running their software they, in fact, own the very piece of hardware, and everything contained within, that you bought and thought you owned? ie. strange logins changing...
  3. Driver\Fast Start Up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Driver\Fast Start Up: I recently have had problems starting my PC without a password or pin. I have done it for a very long time. I questioned the Community and was told to pose another question to help solve my problem: Driver\Fast Startup. If I untick the fast start-up, I can log on without...
  4. Is it a good idea to install the latest update?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it a good idea to install the latest update?: I paused my updates a while back and forgot to unpause them. I am still running on the 2/11/2020 update. Should I install the latest cumulative update of just the latest security patches? In case it matters, this is a gaming pc. submitted by /u/Turboyoshi0406 [link]...
  5. Fast Start up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Fast Start up: What will happen if I disable the fast start-up? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fast-start-up/09db9a49-60c1-4f01-a2d7-87ddf573d5e1
  6. Fast start up in Windows 1807

in Windows 10 Customization
    Fast start up in Windows 1807: What would be the difference in my PC's performance if I were to disable fast start up? Would disabling it affect performance other than the boot time?...
  7. Disabling Superfetch in services when using an SSD a good idea?

Disabling Superfetch in services when using an SSD a good idea?: Is disabling Superfetch in services on my computer with an SSD a good idea according to this article? This is how SSDs work and what you can do to make yours last longer. Do this to increase your SSD's lifespan! - CNET --- The article stresses it's a good idea to minimize...
  8. resizing a partition -is it a good idea?

resizing a partition -is it a good idea?: i have come across a program that can resize a new partition when if the primary disk is too full. and wondering how would resizing a partition benefit me in the long run? -not to say iam running low in memory, but "just in case"*Nerd 71887
  9. Fast Start-Up in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast Start-Up in Windows 10: Does this feature still exist in Windows 10. I ask because during the preview builds, I turned this off under Power Plan options to dismount all drives when shutting down to make sure that when I dual booted back into Windows 7, this operating system didn't see a 'dirty...
  10. Fast Start up

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast Start up: Is there a way I can turn off fast start up without using the admin password? 92440