Windows 10: SSD from desktop won't boot on laptop

Discus and support SSD from desktop won't boot on laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, Recently, I had to quickly move from my house for a fiew days and I needed to have my files with me. The broblem is that my dekstop was not so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NikolaosIliopoulos, Apr 3, 2020.

1. SSD from desktop won't boot on laptop

Hello,

Recently, I had to quickly move from my house for a fiew days and I needed to have my files with me. The broblem is that my dekstop was not so easy to move.

So, I got my SSD from which I boot and left. I then tried to plug it in to another computer-Laptop by replacing the already existing drive. The computer couldn't detect a bootable drive. I checked the BIOS settings and the boot order is correct. I really need my files though. The laptop I am now using has only usb inputs and it was already running the same version of windows 10. Can you help me?

Thank you!

:)

NikolaosIliopoulos, Apr 3, 2020
  2. Xjoejoex Win User

Hp laptop screen won’t display except occasionally

SSD from desktop won't boot on laptop [​IMG]

I would like to note that step 20 comes up with no files. Perhaps this could be the source of the issues?

Xjoejoex, Apr 3, 2020
  3. user33331 Win User
    Laptops can't boot from optical HDD\SSD caddy :-(

Hello
    I have been investigating *a lot* and trying to boot a 2015 year HP Pavilion DV7 17-f076no (Serial: J1X05EA#UUW) from a Chinese Ebay optical drive HDD\SSD caddy:
    Read multiple forum questions that had the same problem as I: ( Bios can't find a bootable SSD inside optical caddy )
    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...find-caddy-SSD-in-BIOS-boot-list/td-p/3278964
    Tom's Hardware: For The Hardcore PC Enthusiast

Startup:
    • Cloned a 1000gb HDD containing 100/1000gb of Windows 10 Home 64-bit to a 500gb SSD with a EZ Gig IV 4.6.2 cloning software and a USB-SATA transfer cable.
    • Original 1000gb HDD is still inside the laptop.
    • DVD-drive replaced with a 500gb SSD caddy.
    So far:
    • The SSD (=2018 Samsung 860EVO 500gb) can be used and seen inside Windows 10. ( As a storage only )
    • The 2015 Bios F.43 Rev.A American Megatrends Inc. can not see the SSD from the BIOS boot order. Windows Boot Manager sees only the original HDD.
    • UEFI Legacy boot-mode is disabled. I don't think enabling it would help since I'm starting up Windows 10.
    Solutions:
    • Faulty caddy ? Chinese sellers sell many multiple variations of different 9.7mm thick caddys with different micro switches. This one had only a 1 pc of micro switch with 2 position choices.
    • Bios is just not flexible enough. Open the 20+pcs of laptop screws and put the SSD to the place of the original HDD.
    • UEFI Legacy mode ?
    • Modding the caddy. Someone said the caddy is in a "power saving sleep mode" when inside BIOS and it is therefore unseen and shortening some pins would help ? Any experience in soldering the caddy electronics so that it is constantly awake ? This sounds believable ?
    • Cloned the HDD twice to minimize errors but no help I doubt it is because of the cloning process and if it is it is because the HDD and SSD were not the same size 1000gb and 1000gb and the partitions don't match or so...?
    Laptops are not easy...

user33331, Apr 3, 2020
  4. Dyan Rey Win User

SSD from desktop won't boot on laptop

Laptop went black and won;t reboot

Hi Andree,

Hardware and software conflict is one of the possible reasons why you're experiencing black screen. Sometimes, it is also because of hardware failure. To get this issue fixed, we suggest that you
    boot into Safe Mode by following these steps:

• Turn off your computer 3 times while booting. Windows should automatically boot to the Recovery Environment after 3 unsuccessful attempts in a row.
    • Once you are within the Recovery Environment, select Troubleshoot, and then
      Advanced options, then Startup Settings, and
      Restart
      . When it restarts, you should see a number of options. Press 5 or F5 for
      Safe Mode with Networking.
    Once your computer is in Safe Mode, please follow the workaround provided on this
    link. Simply select the similar case that you're experiencing to show the troubleshooting steps.

Let us know how it works.

Dyan Rey, Apr 3, 2020
Thema:

SSD from desktop won't boot on laptop

1. SSD from desktop won't boot on laptop - Similar Threads - SSD desktop won't

2. Laptop won't boot from external m.2 SSD in enclosure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop won't boot from external m.2 SSD in enclosure: Hello all,I have a Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH with Windows 11 installed. I recently purchased a WD_Black 1tb SSD to upgrade from the SK Hyinx 256gb that came installed. Western Digital offers Acronis True Image software to clone the drives for free. In the Acronis instructions...
  3. Laptop won't boot from external m.2 SSD in enclosure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop won't boot from external m.2 SSD in enclosure: Hello all,I have a Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH with Windows 11 installed. I recently purchased a WD_Black 1tb SSD to upgrade from the SK Hyinx 256gb that came installed. Western Digital offers Acronis True Image software to clone the drives for free. In the Acronis instructions...
  4. Windows 10 won't boot from New SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 won't boot from New SSD: I recently installed an SSD Barracuda 120 in my computer, I kept my original HDD as a secondary drive for storage, this morning after 3 days of normal use, the SSD won't boot into Windows and I'm getting a BSOD Strttrail.txt Error, Windows is not able to repair it and it...
  5. Laptop won't boot from cloned SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop won't boot from cloned SSD: Good morning, I have a Lenovo laptop which has a 256GB M.2 SSD. All works great, but I want to install a larger SSD. I have cloned the old drive to the new Crucial SSD, but the laptop will not boot from it. It just responds with 'Inaccessible drive'. I have done or...
  6. Windows won't boot from my new ssd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows won't boot from my new ssd: I got a new ssd and cloned my old ssd(boot drive) to my new one. My computer wouldn't want to use it as a default boot drive so I booted windows on a disc and repaired the mrb but it still doesn't work. Does anyone else have any ideas and what to do next? submitted by...
  7. Booted desktop SATA SSD with laptop M.2 SSD now the desktop SSD won't work both have...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Booted desktop SATA SSD with laptop M.2 SSD now the desktop SSD won't work both have...: A little backstory, both SSD's have windows 10 on them with different license of course. I wanted to read the laptop SSD as a regular drive so I can export files from, into my new desktop. I placed the laptop ssd into the desktop while it was running, but there was nothing...
  8. SSD from Laptop to Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    SSD from Laptop to Desktop: Hello, so my question is how do I change all the registry keys when transferring a SSD from a laptop to a desktop. So recently built a computer to save the $110 it would cost me for a new operating system key I pulled the SSD out of my laptop and used it as the main drive on...
  9. Windows 10 won't boot from ssd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 won't boot from ssd: I recently cloned windows from my HDD to my SSD on my bios it says that my HDD is the windows boot manager and not my SSD when I change the boot priorities to my SSD and i Boot my pc it says that : "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot...
  10. Transferring SSD from laptop to desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transferring SSD from laptop to desktop: I have a laptop with a 2.5 inch 128gb SSD. This SSD has windows 10 on it along with a number of other programs, files, etc. I would like to take the SSD out of my laptop and install it in my desktop, which already has its own SSD in it with windows 10 installed. So my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot