Windows 10: SSD + HDD as Recovery Partition

Discus and support SSD + HDD as Recovery Partition in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Win 10 v 1909. I have never run into this before. An SSD with a 1tb HDD as recovery partition. Can someone tell me how this is done because I want to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ken1943, May 10, 2020.

1. ken1943 Win User

SSD + HDD as Recovery Partition

Win 10 v 1909. I have never run into this before. An SSD with a 1tb HDD as recovery partition. Can someone tell me how this is done because I want to make 1tb hdd separate. New Lenovo 510A

Thanks

SSD + HDD as Recovery Partition [​IMG]

:)

ken1943, May 10, 2020

2. Remove Recovery Partition and Go to Recovery Drive During HDD to SSD Upgrade

Thank you Sangeeta,

"delete the recovery partition as part of the cloning of the HDD to the SSD" The meaning of this quote is as follows:

The recovery partition on the HDD will NOT be copied onto the SSD. This differs from most other data on the HDD which will be copied over onto the SSD. The word cloning is used because the emphasis is on having a functioning system on the SSD that truly
    mimics the system that ran on the HDD. Just as a biological clone is the creation of an identical organism with the same behavior.

The specific SSD I have is a Samsung 850 EVO with 250 GB capacity. It comes with migration software. Further study on my part discovered the following from the migration software user guide "OEM Recovery partition created by the computer manufacturer as
    a factory setting will not be cloned". So, Samsung does not carry the recovery partition across to the SSD - just as I wanted.

So, the SSD won't have the 16 GB recovery partition that the HDD had. Incidentally, Acer documentation says that if a new drive is installed, the ability to go back to the "original build factory settings" will be lost. So, they anticipated the loss if
    the drive was replaced. And this is fine by me since I do not want to go back to Windows 7.

The bottom line is that the SSD won't have the recovery partition; I need to create a recovery drive once I have upgraded to the SSD. (I think it is best to create the recovery drive after the SSD is installed since there are subtle differences between
    the SSD and HDD and the recovery tools should reflect the SSD.)

Edmond Danta, May 10, 2020
  3. Remove Recovery Partition and Go to Recovery Drive During HDD to SSD Upgrade

I'm upgrading my Acer Aspire One 756-2420 netbook by replacing the 500GB HDD with a 250GB SSD. I love the netbook's form factor, screen, keyboard, etc. but it is slow and has low battery life which I hope to improve with this upgrade. The netbook OS has
    gone from W7 to W8 to W10. I notice there is a 16GB recovery partition. The netbook documentation says this recovery partition will take the netbook back to factory settings - W7. I don't want to recover to W7 and I don't want to eat up 16GB of SSD memory with a
    recovery partition. My plan is to delete the recovery partition as part of the cloning of the HDD to the SSD. Then, as soon as I get my SSD installed and running, I'll create a recovery drive on a USB flash drive. Is this a good strategy and are there
    any tips in doing it? Many thanks for any comments!

4. SSD + HDD as Recovery Partition

Remove Recovery Partition and Go to Recovery Drive During HDD to SSD Upgrade

What I wanted

• Remove the recovery partition
    • Use a recovery drive

My view now is that the best solution is

• The migration software will not copy the recovery partition - effectively removing it from the SSD
    • Use a recovery drive. (I will use the control panel utility to put recovery tools on a usb flash drive - giving me a recovery drive to use.)

I believe my question is answered. Thank you for your help.

Thema:

SSD + HDD as Recovery Partition

1. SSD + HDD as Recovery Partition - Similar Threads - SSD HDD Recovery

2. Creating Recovery Disk on a HDD partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating Recovery Disk on a HDD partition: Hello,If I have a HDD and I create a small partition on it like 10GB partition and create a recovery disk on this partition. Will it format my entire hard disk or just the 10GB partition?...
  3. Creating Recovery Disk on a HDD partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating Recovery Disk on a HDD partition: Hello,If I have a HDD and I create a small partition on it like 10GB partition and create a recovery disk on this partition. Will it format my entire hard disk or just the 10GB partition?...
  4. Creating Recovery Disk on a HDD partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. No Recovery Partition on cloned NVMe SSD

No Recovery Partition on cloned NVMe SSD: I have used Aomei Backupper to clone a Windows 10 Pro SATA3 SSD to a new NVMe M2 SSD. It went well and I now have a new boot drive but the cloning process did not copy over the Recovery Partition from the original SSD. Is that a problem? Thanks 179622
  6. intergation data partition in HDD into ssd

intergation data partition in HDD into ssd: After migrating the system and OS +programs from HDD to SSD, I am left with the choice of either keeping the Data Files ( < 5Gb) that I had in the HDD as a separate partition in the SSD or integrate it into the c drive in one large partition . If I want to integrate it with...
  7. Span Partition over SSD and HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Span Partition over SSD and HDD: Hi everyone! I'm planning to span my D: Drive (which is now a 2 TB HDD) partition over to a new 128 GB SSD. That partition holds Program Files and Program Files (x86) as alternatives to the ones on my system drive, since that's an SSD too small for all my installed programs...
  8. Optimizing the Recovery Partition on a SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Optimizing the Recovery Partition on a SSD: I have a feeling this has been asked before and the answer is “Just leave it, it doesn’t matter” I notice the recovery partition on my SSD is always reporting as “Never run” and “Needs optimizing” If you chose to optimize it does nothing. [img] Any advice on this...
  9. Recovery partitions on SSD

Recovery partitions on SSD: I purchased a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 with a 120GB SSD and a 1TB hard disk. I have the OS on the SSD (C:\) together with the programs. So far I have installed Office 365 and little else. I have moved the data directories from C:\Users to the D: drive. The laptop came with no...
  10. Cannot access recovery partition in hdd

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot access recovery partition in hdd: Hi guys...... I need to recover my os..... The problem is I bought a new ssd and added it and cloned my os to the ssd...... The recovery partition that my asus rog came with is in my hdd...... How do I access it and how do I recover the os to its original state..... The hdd...