Windows 10: SSD/HDD Reduced capacity

Discus and support SSD/HDD Reduced capacity in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; If you find your hard drive capacity reduced by an extra large amount try this solution. I had my ssd of 250gb showing 122gb used less than 2 days... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DavidMattocks, Feb 20, 2021.

1. SSD/HDD Reduced capacity

If you find your hard drive capacity reduced by an extra large amount try this solution.

I had my ssd of 250gb showing 122gb used less than 2 days after purchasing my pc, but after applying this BAT script. it was down to 44.5 gb......well worth applying.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files-winpc/driver-store-file-repository-using-huge-disk-space/f5c78641-ad81-4971-a2b6-47d40d9b9283?page=2

I cleaned 12 GB of driver stuff with this simple .BAT script.

It loops through all numbers from 1-300 and tries to delete the driver. It will just do nothing if the driver is in use, or doesn't exist.

@Echo off
    for /L %%A in 1,1,300 do
    echo Deleting OEM%%A.INF
    pnputil /d OEM%%A.INF
    PAUSE

Instructions:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aOW-trZTd4

make a restore point just in case
    create a file called 'cleandrivers.bat' on your desktop or anywhere else, make sure it's not .bat.txt or something
    right click that file, run as administrator
    It took less than a minute to process on Windows 10.

So far, everything seems to run normally.

:)

DavidMattocks, Feb 20, 2021

2. Confused about hard drives: HDD and SSD

Browsing through the Microsoft Store for a new pc, I see various hard drives listed, such as:

16GB eMMC

32GB eMMC

500GB 5400 RPM HDD

2GB DDR3L 1600 MHz

32GB SSD [?]

64GB SSD

I understand that solid state drives are good, though expensive. What I don't understand is what size of an SSD would be the equivalent of, say, a terabyte HD? It seems that 64GB is the largest SSD offered here. What size HDD would equal that capacity?

And, BTW, what is an eMMC?

Grandpa Jim, Feb 20, 2021
  3. Windows using 50gb on ssd (removed windows.old already)

Hi Jeff,

HDD & SSD Manufacturers calculate 1GB as 1,000,000,000 bytes. As for Microsoft and RAM manufacturers calculate 1GB as 1,073,741,824 bytes with a total difference of about 7% then reduce the capacity by 7% from any HDD or SSD will be your formatted capacity.
    The additional space may be reserved for the HDD or SSD to keep itself on high performance.

Looking forward to your response.

Radney Dri, Feb 20, 2021
  4. SSD/HDD Reduced capacity

Upgraded Windows Transfer from HDD to SSD

Hi

My windows was upgraded from 8 to 10 on my laptop few years back. I was trying to get the HDD replaced with SSD. During the copy process, the technician said windows cannot be moved to SSD as it is an upgraded version from 8 to 10.

Kindly guide if there is a possibility to copy the windows to SSD ? If so, please suggest the steps.

NipunSingla, Feb 20, 2021
Thema:

SSD/HDD Reduced capacity

1. SSD/HDD Reduced capacity - Similar Threads - SSD HDD Reduced

2. Ssd capacity limitation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ssd capacity limitation: Just bought Lenovo Legion S7 512GB with Win11 Home. I tried to upgrade ssd to 2TB in one slot. But the system saw only 1TB. So I upgraded my laptop with two ssd drives 1TB each. And this is the maximum for my machine. Where is the problem with bigger drives? The drives I use...
  3. Ssd capacity limitation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ssd capacity limitation: Just bought Lenovo Legion S7 512GB with Win11 Home. I tried to upgrade ssd to 2TB in one slot. But the system saw only 1TB. So I upgraded my laptop with two ssd drives 1TB each. And this is the maximum for my machine. Where is the problem with bigger drives? The drives I use...
  4. HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD to SSD: how do I transfer my windows 10 OS to my new SSD, so 2 Drives. Old SSD with the old files and New SSD with the windows 10. But still being able to access the data on the old.The new SSD is a Samsung 870 EVO SATA 2.5" 1TB.spec:Dell Inc. 0PXWHKi7-8700non-kgtx 1060 16 gb ram...
  5. Firefox usage of SSD capacity ?

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox usage of SSD capacity ?: I'm about to install Firefox on a new PC with an SSD and wondered if bookmarks or other files should be kept on a storage HDD. Did some searching & found several articles & comments about Firefox's high usage of SSD capacity. Some of the comments are a few years old and I'm...
  6. Lost 50% HDD capacity

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lost 50% HDD capacity: Hi, I have posted the following on the AOMEI forum. I have W10 with all updates. On a 1TB external USB attached HDD , not SSD, with two partitions of 460+ GB, I wanted to merge the two partitions into one partition. So D: and G: into one x 1TB partition. I Used AOMEI merge...
  7. Want to Clone SSD to Higher Capacity SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Want to Clone SSD to Higher Capacity SSD: My brother's birthday is coming up next month, and one of the things im thinking of getting for him for his birthday is a higher capacity m.2 nvme ssd for his computer, got my eyes on a 500 GB one. The one his OS is installed on is an NVMe LITEON 256GB. his Computer is a...
  8. ssd and hdd

ssd and hdd: What should i buy? 128gb ssd and 500gb hdd or 500gb ssd. And if i will buy 128gb ssd and 500gb hdd and i will install win10 on the hdd, the ssd will help win10 to boot? 23715
  9. external HDD not showing true capacity

external HDD not showing true capacity: when win ten first came out i used a 1TB external HDD to create a recovery drive now with a new laptop i decided to reformat the drive but widows says it has only 32 GIG on it and dose not show any directories or anything? whats up*Sad 47817
  10. Reduce Windows size in HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reduce Windows size in HDD: Hi , sorry for my poor English. Windows is tkaing around 20GB on my PC, and my HDD is only 32GB has 8GB free. What and how can I reduce its size to a minimum size? 49902