Windows 10: SSD Imaged Windows 10 Pro - Another Black Screen Query!

Discus and support SSD Imaged Windows 10 Pro - Another Black Screen Query! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi My main desktop PC recently died, it had been failing for a few weeks with it resetting itself and failing to boot. Luckily I managed to make a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by joeycoco, Jul 26, 2020.

1. joeycoco Win User

SSD Imaged Windows 10 Pro - Another Black Screen Query!

Hi

My main desktop PC recently died, it had been failing for a few weeks with it resetting itself and failing to boot. Luckily I managed to make a full image of the C drive using Macrium Reflect just before it's life came to an end. I don't think it was the hard drive which failed and I did try to boot up with that in the laptop before everything else and had the same result as below.

I put the image onto an SSD thinking I could pop it into my laptop and all would be fine....wrong. They were both UEDF \ EFI so didn't think that could be the problem.

The first time Windows 10 Pro loaded as normal but everything was unresponsive.I figured that there might be startups from the desktops trying to run and maybe the odd driver lying around which might not help matters so tried to go into Device Manager to see if there was anything I could get rid of. The desktop icons all flashed and device manager wouldn't load..in fact hardly anything would load at all and would just report "Not Responding" and have to be closed down. It seems like a lot of the required services are just not running especially Management Console, no matter how many times I asked it to start it just wouldn't.

I then tried safe mode, no luck there and the exact same thing happened...programmes not responding and device manager unavailable. It wouldn't even let me download any software to at least attempt to clean out the old video drivers or Malwarebytes as it just crashed before the Save As box appeared.

Tried using msconfig to change the startup options and remove any unwanted programmes starting up but didn't really achieve much. The only thing I did notice was it was trying to run the Malwarebytes tray icon which was not responding. I did manage to close this in Task Manager but I do think I need to get rid of that software to move a step forward...but I can't uninstall or use the Malwarebytes cleaner to get rid of it as it just hangs when I try to download it.

The second time I did a normal boot I logged in as but this time I ended up with a black screen and a cursor, pressing any key brought up the message that windows was not responding and my only option was to close it down or restart in safe mode from the Switch User login screen.

I have spent 3 days trying to get this to work and I believe I've exhausted every possible solution that I can find on the internet...I can't create another user to copy over the cache files just in case the user profile is corrupt. I cannot get to the device drivers to get rid of anything that is lying around nor can I stop any proprietary software running relating to the motherboard etc on the old and now dead machine. I tried creating a rescue disks including Macrium and redeploying but that didn't work either as it couldn't see any of the drivers for this laptop. I also tried deleting drivers from the command prompt and using diskpart for various solutions....nothing worked.

For now I have given up but it's becoming and obsession to get it working, it would be good to get it booting so I can at least export settings from software I use for when I build my new machine and also get deactivating licenses etc etc.

I guess the idea option would be to find a device manager that runs from a rescue disk

If any of you good people out there have some advice (please not a new install and refreshing windows was never offered as an option) I would be eternally grateful.

Thank You

Andy

:)

joeycoco, Jul 26, 2020

2. Windows 10 Black screen, Start screen, Critical Low Battery

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you try the power troubleshooter if you are able to boot into the system.

Follow the steps below.

• Press Windows key + W and type Troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting and click on System and Security.
    • Click on Power and follow the onscreen steps.
    For black screen issues click on the link below and refer the suggestions by Sharath Srinivasa.

Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Jul 26, 2020
  3. 95Viper Win User
    Black screen after 'Starting Windows' sequence

Sounds like the old... windows black screen of death.

Try this quoted from "VisiHow" article "Repair Windows 7 Black Screen of Death":

They, also, have some other options there, too.
    Google search and you will find a lot of the "Windows Black Screen of Death with cursor" fixes.

95Viper, Jul 26, 2020
  4. Pavan_N Win User

Pavan_N, Jul 26, 2020
Thema:

1. SSD Imaged Windows 10 Pro - Another Black Screen Query! - Similar Threads - SSD Imaged Pro

2. Windows 10 Pro licensing query

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Pro licensing query: I have a laptop that has Windows 10 Pro on it. I have a desktop tower unit that has Windows 10 Home on it. Do I need to buy a Windows 10 Pro program to put on the tower? or is there a way to copy the pro program that is on the laptop and copy it onto the tower unit.I can't...
  3. Windows 10 Pro licensing query

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Pro licensing query: I have a laptop that has Windows 10 Pro on it. I have a desktop tower unit that has Windows 10 Home on it. Do I need to buy a Windows 10 Pro program to put on the tower? or is there a way to copy the pro program that is on the laptop and copy it onto the tower unit.I can't...
  4. Windows 10 Pro licensing query

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Windows 10 Pro boots to a black screen.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Pro boots to a black screen.: I have a number of Lenovo M710 PC's that have been having an issues where the system slows down. After restarting the PC the PC will boot to a black screen. CTRL-ALT-DEL does nothing, nor does CTRL-SHIFT-ESC. The caps locks does respond. We where able to get one PC to show a...
  6. Black screen while trying to switch SSD from another computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen while trying to switch SSD from another computer: [IMG] Hello everyone, Currently, I've installed Windows 10 on my SSD desktop computer and everything is okay. But my problem come when I'm trying to switch my SSD on my laptop which is a Dell Lattitude E5420. The first thing is there was no boot entry on the bios (which...
  7. SSD Imaged Windows 10 Pro - Another Black Screen Query!

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    SSD Imaged Windows 10 Pro - Another Black Screen Query!: Hi My main desktop PC recently died, it had been failing for a few weeks with it resetting itself and failing to boot. Luckily I managed to make a full image of the C drive using Macrium Reflect just before it's life came to an end. I don't think it was the hard drive which...
  8. How to move Windows 10 pro from 1 ssd to another ssd?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to move Windows 10 pro from 1 ssd to another ssd?: Hello, i just bought a faster SSD than the one that I currently use for my Windows 10. Of course i'd like to move my OS to the new SSD. The new SSD is slightly smaller than my current one 25 GB difference, but my current SSD is only 72% full out of a total of 525 GB, so I...
  9. Query related to downloading Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Query related to downloading Windows 10 Pro: how do I download it I payed for it Windows 10 Professional License/ 1 PC Customer Ann Deveau Order Number #4738 Order Date 02/16/2020 License Key <Product Key removed by Moderator> Download Link Link Windows 10 Pro x8632 BIT RAM<4GB Link...
  10. Move Windows 10 Pro from one SSD to another SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Move Windows 10 Pro from one SSD to another SSD: Good morning, I called on the Microsoft community to ask for your opinion on moving the operating system (Windows 10 Pro) from one SSD to another SSD without operating system installation (Windows 10 Pro). I am waiting for an answer from you in this regard !!! Thank you!!! A...