Windows 10: SSD installed successfully-what to do with HDD

Discus and support SSD installed successfully-what to do with HDD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; After a week spent (reluctantly) performing BIOS updates, downloading and installing 1803 for Win 10 Pro and tweaking USB functions I was able to clone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Abe Froman, May 11, 2018.

1. SSD installed successfully-what to do with HDD

After a week spent (reluctantly) performing BIOS updates, downloading and installing 1803 for Win 10 Pro and tweaking USB functions I was able to clone a Samsung 860 EVO 1tb 2.5 inch drive from a 1tb Toshiba HDD that came with Dell desktop.

The easiest and simplest method to connect the replacement SSD to the motherboard was to re-use the power and data cables and physically remove the HDD. Now I am informed removing the HDD was an error...the drive was working and could easily have been left in place and re-used or re-purposed for other functions. Admittedly, it now does seem to be a waste of working hardware to place the HDD in a plastic bag and leave same in a storage locker.

A few additional/extra SATA cables are available but I have no idea of the steps necessary to re-install and re-use the HDD. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

:)

Abe Froman, May 11, 2018
Thema:

SSD installed successfully-what to do with HDD

1. SSD installed successfully-what to do with HDD - Similar Threads - SSD installed successfully

2. SSD & HDD installed drives not visible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD & HDD installed drives not visible: Hi All,SSD & HDD installed drives not visible after checked windows update and re-plugged wifi usb. and my microsoftware is Windows Feature Experience Pack. please suggest me how to get SSD & HDD back. and after clicked on shutdown it is taking more than 2 to 3min to getting...
  3. What to do with the old Windows file in HDD after migrating to SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What to do with the old Windows file in HDD after migrating to SSD?: I installed a new nVME m.2 SSD in my HP laptop and I then migrated the Windows data from HDD to SSD. I also changed the boot order from HDD to SSD. But now there exists a 200 GB Windows file in my HDD which is the old Windows boot file.Can anyone tell me If I can delete this...
  4. What to do with the old Windows file in HDD after migrating to SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What to do with the old Windows file in HDD after migrating to SSD?: I installed a new nVME m.2 SSD in my HP laptop and I then migrated the Windows data from HDD to SSD. I also changed the boot order from HDD to SSD. But now there exists a 200 GB Windows file in my HDD which is the old Windows boot file.Can anyone tell me If I can delete this...
  5. HDD crashed, installed new SSD, recovered HDD - what to do next?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HDD crashed, installed new SSD, recovered HDD - what to do next?: Windows 10 - older desktop computer. First the story:Had a 1TB HDD running everything. It started to struggle to boot. I put "buy a new drive" on my to-do list. And of course, it died before I replaced it. Procrastination 1, human 0.So before giving up, I purchased a new SSD,...
  6. What should I do when SSD is full and HDD is not?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What should I do when SSD is full and HDD is not?: Hi. So I have 500gb on my SSD and 1tb on my HDD and I'm pretty much at the max on my sdd while I have a ton more space on my tb. I'm a bit unsure on what to do at this point. Any suggestions? submitted by /u/pzfalcon [link] [comments]...
  7. Installed M2 SSD + clean install of Windows on said SSD in laptop alongside HDD. HDD was...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installed M2 SSD + clean install of Windows on said SSD in laptop alongside HDD. HDD was...: I assume it has something to do with a partition on the HDD. Disk Manager does not allow me to delete 2 relatively small partitions, including one labeled "Recovery" and one labeled "EFI System Partition." I assume W10 is detecting the recovery partition and is giving me the...
  8. After SSD Installation What Do I Do With Old HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    After SSD Installation What Do I Do With Old HDD: Hello Everyone, I just installed a new 500 gb SSD and successfully moved the Operating System and data. I want to use the old HDD that still has an OS for storage. What do I need to do next? I downloaded AOMEI Petition Assistant but am not sure which option(s) I should...
  9. SSD, HDD installation and backup strategy

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    SSD, HDD installation and backup strategy: Hi, I am about to create a new system. I have a SSD 500gb hdd (lets call it SSD), I will install my programs on. Then use my 4TB hdd (lets call it HDD-A ) for libraries (picture, music, ect). I am using macrium reflect free for backup. Question #1: I wonder how I should go...
  10. Installing Windows 10 on HDD, then on SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows 10 on HDD, then on SSD: I have recently upgraded my PC from Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit to Windows 10 (because I took advantage of the free upgrade offer last year), but have created an ISO file for a full install as I want to fully install Windows 10 by itself. My plan is, if the install works and...