Windows 10: SSD is not recognised by Win10 (or BIOS) every now and then.

Discus and support SSD is not recognised by Win10 (or BIOS) every now and then. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey guys, I have just had a WD SSD put into my laptop. It is not the M2 drive, but a secondary SSD. Every now and then ....it is not recognised. It is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Elysium, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Elysium Win User

SSD is not recognised by Win10 (or BIOS) every now and then.

Hey guys,

I have just had a WD SSD put into my laptop. It is not the M2 drive, but a secondary SSD. Every now and then ....it is not recognised. It is not even in Disk Management.

I have changed the SATA mode selection to ACHI and reinstalled Win10. I thought that the problem originally was that the SATa mode selection was set to Intel RST Premium, but after a restart I am having the same issue....the SSD has just disappeared. I have installed WD Dasboard to check for errors in the SSD, but it shows that everything is okay. I thought it was a connector issue or something, but it doesnt happen randomly while the SSD is in use. It normally happens after a restart.

This SSD was originally used as an external HD and I had to disconnec/connect it sometimes, because Win10 just didnt recognise it. Could this be some short of Win10 issue that it doesnt always recognise SSDs? Has anyone had the same issue and found a solution?

Thank you.

SSD is not recognised by Win10 (or BIOS) every now and then. [​IMG]

SSD is not recognised by Win10 (or BIOS) every now and then. [​IMG]

:)

Elysium, Nov 21, 2020
  2. HairyFool Win User

Windows 10 SSD Boot and Sleep faliure

Windows cannot stop the BIOS recognising the SSD. If at any time you can go into the BIOS and the SSD is not listed then you have an (intermittent) hardware fault. It does not matter what the precursor steps are if the hardware was OK it must be listed

Step 6 is categorical, you have a hardware fault. BIOS device recognition is always before drivers load so they cannot affect the process

HairyFool, Nov 21, 2020
  3. Josh_922 Win User
    Win10 clean install on Samsung SSD 850 EVO

BLUF: SSD is not listed ubder "Where do you want to install Windows?"

Steps Complete:

1. I've create a Win10 bootable install usb.

2. I connect the new Samsung SSD 850 EVO via SATA.

3. I reboot PC and verify SSD is seen by the motherboard/BIOS

4. Begin Win10 install via usb.

5. Get to "Where do you want to install Windows?" and the SSD is not listed

Problems:

1. Samsung does not offer a driver for the 850 on their website

2. Cannot locate driver elsewhere

Unsuccessful Mitigations Steps Attempt:

A. Format & partition SSD via Windows Disk Management, then retried steps 1-5 above....same result

B. Clone existing HHD onto SSD via "Image for Windows" by TeraByte, then verified SSD contents via Windows Explorer....similar result

Can you please offer some advice on locating a driver for a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB drive? Or an alternative method?

Thank you

Josh_922, Nov 21, 2020
  4. SSD is not recognised by Win10 (or BIOS) every now and then.

ssd not recognised

After update to Windows 10 Anniversary Update I now am getting same problem.

SSD's not recognised. I tried running "winsat formal" from an elevated (admin) command as suggested by Word Man and done previously when I got this problem with no success.

Any suggestions?

jaburmester, Nov 21, 2020
Thema:

SSD is not recognised by Win10 (or BIOS) every now and then.

1. SSD is not recognised by Win10 (or BIOS) every now and then. - Similar Threads - SSD recognised Win10

2. SATA SSD is recognised on gigabyte bios but not windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SATA SSD is recognised on gigabyte bios but not windows?: Recently my SATA SSD not sure what specific model but its intel something stopped being recognised by windows 11 yet it is in the BIOS. I have an Intel i9 10900kf, RTX 3060 ti and 32 GB ddr4 ram. I have tried reconnecting the physical connections into the motherboard and it...
  3. SATA SSD is recognised on gigabyte bios but not windows?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SATA SSD is recognised on gigabyte bios but not windows?: Recently my SATA SSD not sure what specific model but its intel something stopped being recognised by windows 11 yet it is in the BIOS. I have an Intel i9 10900kf, RTX 3060 ti and 32 GB ddr4 ram. I have tried reconnecting the physical connections into the motherboard and it...
  4. My PC is stuck in BIOS and doesn't recognise my SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC is stuck in BIOS and doesn't recognise my SSD: My PC has been stuck in ASUS UEFI BIOS Utility, and after loading optimized defaults and restarting my PC several times, I haven't been able to access my PC. I opened up my PC case and re-plugged the SSD cable into a different SAGA port, to no avail. Do I need to buy a new...
  5. My PC is stuck in BIOS and doesn't recognise my SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My PC is stuck in BIOS and doesn't recognise my SSD: My PC has been stuck in ASUS UEFI BIOS Utility, and after loading optimized defaults and restarting my PC several times, I haven't been able to access my PC. I opened up my PC case and re-plugged the SSD cable into a different SAGA port, to no avail. Do I need to buy a new...
  6. My PC is stuck in BIOS and doesn't recognise my SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. SSD not recognised.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD not recognised.: My friend gave me a HDD that he said was clean formatted as NTFS. I was going to use it as storage. I plugged it in and Win XP started to load. I immediately did a shutdown and removed the HDD. I booted and now my OS doesn't recognise the SSD A400 at all in Disk Management...
  8. ssd not recognised

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ssd not recognised: I have 2 ssd Samsung SSD 840 pro series (c*Smile and Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB (d*Smile. Both these drives are recognised I presume correctly. They are installed on a Toshiba QOSMIO X500 PQX33E-00N006EN laptop. Trim is enabled as I run fsutil behavior query...
  9. Hdd not recognised in Bios...but...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hdd not recognised in Bios...but...: This one has me scratching my head. Turned on the computer and the bios tells me Bootmgr is missing. Ah! panic, looked in bios and one of my drives is not recognised which happens to be the O/S drive. I opened up the computer and re-seated the Sata connections and went...
  10. SSD not detected in Win10 install but is detected in bios

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD not detected in Win10 install but is detected in bios: Hi all, This is my first build and I am so close yet it feels so far away. I'm at the final step of installing Windows 10 onto my PC I have a bootable USB drive connected and everything goes smoothly until I have to select a hard drive! I have a Mushkin Enhanced Reactor...