Windows 10: Ssd Is not showing in BIOS Boot setting EFI after resetting my pc. PLEASE HELP!!

Discus and support Ssd Is not showing in BIOS Boot setting EFI after resetting my pc. PLEASE HELP!! in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have an Lenovo ideapad, and upgraded to a SSD early this year. At first when I setup my ssd it and work fine and also able to change the priority to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by HritikSarkar, Feb 4, 2023.

1. Ssd Is not showing in BIOS Boot setting EFI after resetting my pc. PLEASE HELP!!

I have an Lenovo ideapad, and upgraded to a SSD early this year. At first when I setup my ssd it and work fine and also able to change the priority to ssd, But after Resetting the os, The boot priorty get automatically change to hdd Yes, I didn't delete the older os from hdd after migrating the os into ssd, and now In boot setting under efi I can't find my ssd option , so I am unable to change my boot priority to ssd. the SSD no longer appears in the boot order while I'm in BIOS, and I had to open device manager and disable the HDD altogether to get my system to automatically boot off

:)

HritikSarkar, Feb 4, 2023

2. upgrading to SSD and unable to boot into Windows10 (EFI hidden)

Hi,

I am unable to boot into windows 10 after completing the installation successfully. PC is HP Prodesk G3 small form factor (business PC)

All files are being written to the SSD but just can not boot. The disk is GPT and secure boot is enabled. I am unable to find an option for AHCI in bios so hope its set correctly.

Startup repair returns (couldnt repair your PC) > C:\windows\system32\logfiles\srttrail.txt

Disk Part shows a 100MB volume listed as FAT32 which is the EFI volume and I am guessing that becasue this volume is hidden the PC is unable to use boot manager? When attemptimg to boot afer install it does list UEFI: Windows Boot Manager , but only a black
    screen after.

Would really appreciate assistance in sorting this as I am trying to upgrade.

MFennell12, Feb 4, 2023
  3. UEFI boot options disappeared from BIOS; now getting reboot and select proper boot device

In short, I need to get the system/BIOS to allow UEFI booting of the SSD.

Computer started up today with default BIOS settings.

• Only SSD 1(Windows boot) and SSD 2 were listed in BIOS; HDD 1 and HDD 2 were not visible
    • System would not boot. Gave the 'reboot and select proper boot device' message
    • Boot menu has no UEFI/EFI (or Windows Boot Manager) entries anymore
    I went into Partition Magic/Gparted and confirmed :

• All drives are still showing
    • All drives' data is in tact [EFI volume/partition is still listed (and can be browsed/files accessible)]
    Gparted print out (note dev/sda2 apparently that is normal behavior) :

/dev/sda1 (locked) EFI System Partition--Fat32--/media/sda1--100.00mb--46.81MiB--53.19MiB--boot,esp
    /dev/sda2 (exclamation mark) Microsoft reserved partition--unknown file system--no mount point--128.00MiB--unused spaced--msftres
    /dev/sda3 basic data partition--ntfs--/media/sda3--118.58GiB--70.78GiB--47.80GiB--msftdata
    /dev/sda4--ntfs--/media/sda4--450.00MiB--327.71MiB--122.29MiB--hidden,diag

As I am able to boot Windows installation from USB, I tried the standard startup repair. It said it was not able to fix any problems.

Next I tried to repair the EFI with Diskpart in the shell:

• sel vol 1 (note that Diskpart states EFI partition is 'hidden')
    • assign letter=z:
    • cd /d z:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\
    • bootrec /fixboot
    • bcdboot c:\Windows /l en-us /s vz /f ALL
    It completed all tasks successfully. Unfortunately that did not work.

Other things I have tried :

• Removing CMOS battery and replacing with a new one - my HDD started showing up again after doing this.
    • Using the old MBR commands(in hopes it would force the Windows startup repair to recognize and fix a problem)
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd​
    • Loaded BIOS 'optimized'/defaults (the system did this already once before, hence why I am in this situation, though doing it manually seemed like an option worth trying. Note that after doing this and restarting the system, HDD's stopped showing again)
    • Removed new CMOS battery and left it out of the system for thirty minutes
    • Formatted EFI and msftres partitions, then rebuilt the EFI boot records
    In summary, am looking to force the BIOS to see the EFI partition on the SSD boot drive, as it is not an option any longer.

newconroer, Feb 4, 2023
  4. Ssd Is not showing in BIOS Boot setting EFI after resetting my pc. PLEASE HELP!!

SSD working properly, not showing up in boot order in BIOS

I'm currently still on Windows 10, as I performed a roll-back by wiping my SSD and using a third-party data migration tool to move an older version of Windows 10 to the SSD.

As of right now, Windows UEFI reads my storage and states my drive is healthy, will show up as the main boot drive on BIOS settings, and Windows will launch correctly so as long as my HDD is disabled or unmounted. However, once I enable the HDD, the system forcibly launches from the HDD. I go into BIOS to change boot order, and the SSD is not listed in the available drives to boot. From there, if I exit without changing or saving any settings in BIOS, the system then somehow automatically jumps to the SSD as intended.

In summary, it appears as though my computer will not boot from my SSD unless I unmount/disable the factory HDD, or if I launch either the BIOS or UEFI and exit without changing anything.

BornToLose129, Feb 4, 2023
Thema:

Ssd Is not showing in BIOS Boot setting EFI after resetting my pc. PLEASE HELP!!

1. Ssd Is not showing in BIOS Boot setting EFI after resetting my pc. PLEASE HELP!! - Similar Threads - Ssd showing BIOS

2. Help with BIOS settings, need to boot from SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help with BIOS settings, need to boot from SSD: Hi!The drives on my machine an older Alienware are:internal SSD, the only bootable drive Cinternal HD Dbarely used CDR for legacy stuff Ea pair of external drives no bootable partitions, various letters from F to TFor some reason, since upgrading to Windows 11 my machine is...
  3. Help with BIOS settings, need to boot from SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help with BIOS settings, need to boot from SSD: Hi!The drives on my machine an older Alienware are:internal SSD, the only bootable drive Cinternal HD Dbarely used CDR for legacy stuff Ea pair of external drives no bootable partitions, various letters from F to TFor some reason, since upgrading to Windows 11 my machine is...
  4. Old SSD dissapeared after reinstall but shows only in bios. Please, help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old SSD dissapeared after reinstall but shows only in bios. Please, help: Yesterday I had to reset and reinstall Windows on my pc cause of some problems but keeping my archives, but after that, Windows just stop recognizing my SSD. It shows in BIOS, but nowere else. I had reinstalled many times before without this problem.After reading other...
  5. Old SSD dissapeared after reinstall but shows only in bios. Please, help

Old SSD dissapeared after reinstall but shows only in bios. Please, help: Yesterday I had to reset and reinstall Windows on my pc cause of some problems but keeping my archives, but after that, Windows just stop recognizing my SSD. It shows in BIOS, but nowere else. I had reinstalled many times before without this problem.After reading other...
  6. After Resetting My PC unable to find ssd On Boot Priority efi in BIOS setting. PLEASE HELP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After Resetting My PC unable to find ssd On Boot Priority efi in BIOS setting. PLEASE HELP: I have an Lenovo ideapad 130, and upgraded to a SSD early this year. At first when I setup my ssd it and work fine and also able to change the boot priority to ssd and its work fine.But then after Resetting the os, The boot priorty get automatically change to hdd Yes, I...
  7. After Resetting My PC unable to find ssd On Boot Priority efi in BIOS setting. PLEASE HELP

After Resetting My PC unable to find ssd On Boot Priority efi in BIOS setting. PLEASE HELP: I have an Lenovo ideapad 130, and upgraded to a SSD early this year. At first when I setup my ssd it and work fine and also able to change the boot priority to ssd and its work fine.But then after Resetting the os, The boot priorty get automatically change to hdd Yes, I...
  8. Ssd Is not showing in BIOS Boot setting EFI after resetting my pc. PLEASE HELP!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ssd Is not showing in BIOS Boot setting EFI after resetting my pc. PLEASE HELP!!: I have an Lenovo ideapad, and upgraded to a SSD early this year. At first when I setup my ssd it and work fine and also able to change the priority to ssd, But after Resetting the os, The boot priorty get automatically change to hdd Yes, I didn't delete the older os from hdd...
  9. Ssd Is not showing in BIOS Boot setting EFI after resetting my pc. PLEASE HELP!!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ssd Is not showing in BIOS Boot setting EFI after resetting my pc. PLEASE HELP!!: I have an Lenovo ideapad, and upgraded to a SSD early this year. At first when I setup my ssd it and work fine and also able to change the priority to ssd, But after Resetting the os, The boot priorty get automatically change to hdd Yes, I didn't delete the older os from hdd...
  10. SSD not showing in BIOS Boot Menu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD not showing in BIOS Boot Menu: Hello everyone, my laptop came with windows installed in HDD. I decided to buy SSD and install Windows in it. With the help of USB boot device, I formatted the hard drive and installed Windows on SSD, but forgot to format the reserved partition of HDD. Now SSD doesn't show up...