Windows 10: SSD is reported as "Hard Disk Drive" instead of "Solid Sate Drive" in Windows 10 "Optimise...

Discus and support SSD is reported as "Hard Disk Drive" instead of "Solid Sate Drive" in Windows 10 "Optimise... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I recently cloned my complete Windows 10 installation from a hard drive to a Crucial SSD using the Acronis Cloning software that Crucial... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by DavidWilden, Mar 10, 2019.

1. SSD is reported as "Hard Disk Drive" instead of "Solid Sate Drive" in Windows 10 "Optimise...

Hi,

I recently cloned my complete Windows 10 installation from a hard drive to a Crucial SSD using the Acronis Cloning software that Crucial supplied. After cloning, I removed the old hard drive and was happy to see that Windows loads fine from the new SDD, and everything seemed to be working fine.

However I have now noticed that the SSD (which is now my 'Drive C:') is still listed as a 'Hard Disk Drive' when I bring up the Defrag and Optimise Drive app and not as "Solid State Drive".

This is worrying me as I understood that Windows needs to correctly recognise the drive as a solid state drive in order to apply the correct optimisation policies.

My question is how can I make Wiondows 10 correctly treat the drive as a Solid State Drive?

Regards

Dave

:)

DavidWilden, Mar 10, 2019

2. optimise hard drives

All ssd manufactures that I've seen have their own optimization utilities on their website you can download and use

An example is Samsung Magician and so on..

If you truly have a actual hard drive and not a solid state drive

Use the symbol on the bottom right of your image Turn On.

ThrashZone, Mar 10, 2019
  3. neilpzz Win User
    optimise hard drives

SSDs do not have the optimisation option turned on. It can shorten the life of the drive.

neilpzz, Mar 10, 2019
  4. Naxs_EU Win User

SSD is reported as "Hard Disk Drive" instead of "Solid Sate Drive" in Windows 10 "Optimise...

SSDs in RAID 0 marked as Hard disk drive by Windows

Dear Community,

Today I'm testing a ThinkPad X240 with a dual mSATA to SATA enclosure. Lots of fun.

Not unexpected but Windows 10 is of the opinion that my two mSata SSD's are, in reality, hard disks. They are not. We talked about it, it did not help.

I tried the following:

Code:
    Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName "H/W RAID0" -MediaType SSD
    This works, until I reboot. After this command, PowerShell reports 'SSD' as media-type instead of 'Unspecified'.

The 'Optimizes Drives' window, however, still reports a hard disk.

Is there anyway to permanently make Windows believe I do have an SSD in my ThinkPad?

Thank you!

Naxs_EU, Mar 10, 2019
Thema:

SSD is reported as "Hard Disk Drive" instead of "Solid Sate Drive" in Windows 10 "Optimise...

1. SSD is reported as "Hard Disk Drive" instead of "Solid Sate Drive" in Windows 10 "Optimise... - Similar Threads - SSD reported Hard

2. Windows installed on hard-drive instead of SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows installed on hard-drive instead of SSD: HiI have an HP-Envy 360. It has both an SSD drive and a normal hard drive. Originally the SSD was allocated to be the C: drive and the hard drive D:. Windows was installed and booted of the SSD C: drive.I reinstalled Windows and this situation seems to have swapped over, i.e....
  3. Windows installed on hard-drive instead of SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows installed on hard-drive instead of SSD: HiI have an HP-Envy 360. It has both an SSD drive and a normal hard drive. Originally the SSD was allocated to be the C: drive and the hard drive D:. Windows was installed and booted of the SSD C: drive.I reinstalled Windows and this situation seems to have swapped over, i.e....
  4. Windows installed on hard-drive instead of SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How to install applications on the hard drive instead of the SSD drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to install applications on the hard drive instead of the SSD drive?: I actually have the answer to this. It doesn't have to be that hard. All of the stuff that the advisor told people to do is ridiculous. There are two methods.1 Go to Settings/System/Storage/Change where new content is saved. Here you can choose what types of files saved to...
  6. solid state and hard drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    solid state and hard drives: I have a HP Laptop 17-by3065st,os is windows 10. I have both a ssd and hdd my ssd is low on free space my hdd 1TB has plenty. is there a way to have the HDD drive D: be the primary and keep the SSD drive C: just for windows os? Thanx in advance Jim...
  7. Hard disk drive taking forever to optimise

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hard disk drive taking forever to optimise: I’m defragmenting the hard drive and at the last update of 3, the process reads ‘consolidating’. It’s taking up to 15 minutes to cover 1%, is this normal for it to take so long?? Just wondering so I know :) submitted by /u/michaelbosley_ [link] [comments]...
  8. Optimising the SSD drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Optimising the SSD drives: Hello everyone, Since 4 days I've got a problem regarding the SSD drives as follows: every time after reboot it's always show that the SSD drives never run for optimisation although I did many times before reboot. Has anyone experienced such a problem and got a solution?...
  9. Optimise Drives - System Hard disk drive - Unable to optimise/defragment

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Optimise Drives - System Hard disk drive - Unable to optimise/defragment: Is this normal or should I be concerned? I've tried SFC and DISM commands and everything seems good. Please see the attached image. [ATTACH]...
  10. Download games on Hard Drive instead of SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Download games on Hard Drive instead of SSD: Hello, i currently got a new gaming PC and it came with a 256 GB SSD along with a hard drive. However, i have already used all the available space on the SSD, and would now like to download games and store it in the Hard Drive. I have already went to the settings and put...