Windows 10: SSD key type?

Discus and support SSD key type? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; This is the Intel 660p NVME drive, I have it installed and it works perfectly. I was under the impression that if the key is on the left of the drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Pejole2165, Sep 24, 2019.

1. SSD key type?

This is the Intel 660p NVME drive, I have it installed and it works perfectly. I was under the impression that if the key is on the left of the drive when viewed from the front it is M-keyed, this matches the key on the M.2 socket on my motherboard, however HWInfo64 reports the slot as a "mechanical B key". Is HWInfo64 wrong or have I got my keys mixed up in my head? *Huh

SSD key type? [​IMG]

:)

Pejole2165, Sep 24, 2019

2. SSD key type?

Well, that makes it even more confusing, the bottom image showing the drives and listing the protocols they use seems to show the right hand most drive as a M-keyed PCIe x4, which is the same config as my drive, however you can clearly see from my picture the small connector (which should be the 5 pin) only has 3 pins. Also when compared to the image of connector layouts it should be B-keyed.
    The drive I have installed is definitely working at PCIe x4 speeds, CrystalDiskMark confirms that so does copying a large file across (50Gb file) copies at approx. 2Gb's.
    Also HWInfo64 tells me the PCIe version is 3.0, maximum link width is x4, current link width is x4.
    It is very confusing to me as to why HWInfo64 reports the port as "mechanical key B" but all other evidence would suggest it is M-key.
    That's the reason for the question, it seems the information is very contradictory.

Pejole2165, Sep 24, 2019
  3. Carlo Fer Win User
    wed can reformatting ssd

Hello Allen,

It seems that you're SSD is in a read-only state. Read-only is the same as write-protected.

As an initial troubleshooting, I suggest that you follow the steps provided by Angela Pun which helped a lot of community members in this
    thread.
    Make sure to select the SSD drive.

If the issue still persists, please follow these steps on how to format a write-protected SSD using Command Prompt.

1. Press the Windows key + R. A run dialog box will open.
    2. Type CMD then press Enter.
    3. Type diskpart
    4. Type list volume
    5. Type select volume # ( # is the number of USB HDD you've plugged in)
    6. Type attributes disk clear
      read-only
    7. Type clean

If you have additional questions, or if the issue persists after the troubleshooting steps above, please let me know by replying to this thread. This way, I'll get notified and respond back to you as soon as I can.

Carlo Fer, Sep 24, 2019
  4. SSD key type?

SSD key type?

This is the Intel 660p NVME drive, I have it installed and it works perfectly. I was under the impression that if the key is on the left of the drive when viewed from the front it is M-keyed, this matches the key on the M.2 socket on my motherboard, however HWInfo64 reports the slot as a "mechanical B key". Is HWInfo64 wrong or have I got my keys mixed up in my head? *Huh

SSD key type? [​IMG]

Pejole2165, Sep 24, 2019
Thema:

SSD key type?

1. SSD key type? - Similar Threads - SSD key type

2. My keys are typing the wrong keys

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My keys are typing the wrong keys: I went to get on my school computer EliteBook and found that, somehow over the weekend while it was shut and turned off all weekend, my keys have switched. M is caps lock, 1 is U, 2 is A, 3 is L, etc. It's like this for all the keys except N. I found a similar post, and the...
  3. My keys are typing the wrong keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My keys are typing the wrong keys: I went to get on my school computer EliteBook and found that, somehow over the weekend while it was shut and turned off all weekend, my keys have switched. M is caps lock, 1 is U, 2 is A, 3 is L, etc. It's like this for all the keys except N. I found a similar post, and the...
  4. Product keys and their types.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Product keys and their types.: Hello, I am Komosh. I have completed building my PC. Now I am installing Windows 10 and it says me to enter a product key. So I want to know,1. where can I get that key? And,2. what are the different types of keys MS provides to normal persons?...
  5. Product keys and their types.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Product keys and their types.: Hello, I am Komosh. I have completed building my PC. Now I am installing Windows 10 and it says me to enter a product key. So I want to know,1. where can I get that key? And,2. what are the different types of keys MS provides to normal persons?...
  6. Product keys and their types.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  7. Keyboard keys not typing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Keyboard keys not typing: Lenovo 530S laptop. Win 10. I can not type these charters. 2 @ Ww Ss Xx. And Cap Locks does not work.I mut copy and pate I must copy and paste . The keyboard does not type those. I was thinking bad or dirty Keyboard so I tried the on screen keyboard and mouse, still same...
  8. SSD wrong Type

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD wrong Type: How can I change an SSD Type Dynamic to Type Basic? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-wrong-type/b38a9db3-b836-45fa-87dd-3e7f36869dee
  9. SSD Compatibility - can I use this type of SSD?

SSD Compatibility - can I use this type of SSD?: Hi I was hoping to purchase a Samsung 860 EVO M.2 SATA 1TB SSD for my Laptop alongside the current HDD however, I was just wanting to confirm whether the SSD is in fact compatible. I am 99% sure that it is I just want to make sure prior to buying it. Images of the M.2 slot...
  10. Confused over SSD types

Confused over SSD types: I have a Hynix H5512gd9NG-62A0A BB SSD inserted into my main laptop and I want to replace it with a new drive but am unsure of what configuration SSD I should get. The original one looks like the one in the pic - a Samsung EVO M2 is this a standard fitting for this type of...