Windows 10: SSD losing space

Discus and support SSD losing space in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My SSD 120 GB which I use mainly for windows and little amount of apps is getting full itself. Amount of used memory is moving all the time in about 2... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/joachii, Oct 11, 2020.

1. SSD losing space

My SSD 120 GB which I use mainly for windows and little amount of apps is getting full itself. Amount of used memory is moving all the time in about 2 gigs up and down (idk if it's right) but last days it's in big numbers. For example today it jumped from 36 gigs of free space to 20 I wasn't installing anything and ccleaner cleaned just some MBs. Also windows in settings shows that applications in C are taking 15 gigs but that ain't true because when I click on it it shows preinstalled apps which take Max 600MB. Avast doest show any virus and system restore is turned off. Do you know what could be wrong with it? Thanks in advance

submitted by /u/joachii
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/joachii, Oct 11, 2020

2. C: drive progressively loses space

Hi Piglet. Welcome to the TenForums @Piglet

I would suggest that you install a tool like Everything from Voidtools.

Downloads - voidtools

With this tool you should be able to sort by size and at least identify the file names of the offending space stealers. You can also sort by date modified and you should be able to see these new files being creating.

Once you have some file names then members may have a better idea of what the next steps are.

Caledon Ken, Oct 11, 2020
  3. Anne Ros Win User
    SSD storage keeps filling up on its own

Hi Ash,

There's a possibility that the files are just hidden. As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps below on how to display hidden files that's eating space of your SSD:

• On the Search bar, type folder, and then select
      Show hidden files and folders from the search results.
    • Under Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives,
      and then select OK.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Anne Ros, Oct 11, 2020
  4. Piglet Win User

SSD losing space

C: drive progressively loses space

Hello,

My C: drive is progressively losing space the longer my computer is on. I am currently experiencing the worst example of it so far, which has prompted me to post this support request.

• Three hours ago, I turned my computer on. C: had 32GB of free space.
    • Thirty minutes ago, I received a 'low disk space' warning. C: had been reduced to 0 bytes.
    • I moved 3.6GB of personal files to an external drive. After checking in 'This PC', however, C: showed just 2.2GB of free space.
    • At the time of writing, C: now has 1.3GB of space remaining. This will occasionally drop in increments of 50MB to 100MB. It will also sometimes stabilise for a short time before continuing to drop again.
    The only programs I have used in the past three hours are Chrome, Firefox, Foxtel Go (a streaming application), and Media Player Classic. It does not seem to matter which applications I use - if I use any applications at all - for the space to continue disappearing. Malwarebytes has not discovered any threats, either, and nothing appears to be abnormal in Task Manager.

How can I figure out what is going on? Can anyone help, or suggest anything? This is incredibly frustrating and inconveniencing as you can imagine.

Thank you in advance.

Computer: Toshiba Satellite
    Processor: Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
    System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    Operating system: Windows 10 Pro

Piglet, Oct 11, 2020
Thema:

SSD losing space

1. SSD losing space - Similar Threads - SSD losing space

2. Limited SSD space.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Limited SSD space.: Is there a safe method of moving windows components from an SSD to an external hard drive in order to save space? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/limited-ssd-space/8e92ee83-9354-438b-a4c0-2c237fd2d771
  3. Losing Space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Losing Space: Every day I've been losing about 3-5 gigabytes. Is there any way to remedy this? submitted by /u/_SkyStriker_ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ky3axr/losing_space/
  4. Missing space in SSD...

Missing space in SSD...: If I have chosen the wrong topic, sorry... My question is about the space i have on my SSD. I asked about it for a month ago but didnt find any solution... I had around 100GB on my SSD before an update came to Windows that took a bit of time to download. After the update i...
  5. SSD space disappeared

SSD space disappeared: Hey all, Looking at a friends laptop for them and they have no space left on their hard drive. It’s a HP with a 64Gb SSD and they recently taken it to Curries to have their screen replaced. When they got it back all the space has been used up. Before it went it was about...
  6. C: Drive SSD losing GB of space in hours - Malwarebytes won't install

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C: Drive SSD losing GB of space in hours - Malwarebytes won't install: Hi all, I am having a problem with my C: SSD hard-drive, where it is losing space by the minute. I have tried a full virus scan with Avast Free which didn't find anything. I have also tried diminishing the the restore point maximum to 9.04 GB, where the current size is 7.47...
  7. free space on ssd

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    free space on ssd: My skill testing question is: why is it that in Explorer, I'll see the free space on my SSD down, let's say, about 30 Gigs. After a nice fresh reboot, that space is freed up. It seems this is is not a continual thing but once in a bit, I'll notice the free space isn't what...
  8. SSD Space Gone

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD Space Gone: Windows 10 started freezing. I couldn't even reinstall Windows 10. I downloaded the MediaCreationTool1909. I had on my SSD 33.3gb left. After installing the MediaCreationTool1909, I only had 16.something gb left. After a lot of messing about for hours of deleting...
  9. Space for Windows on SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Space for Windows on SSD: Hi, I am running Windows 10 Home on a SSD in 37GB partition. Updates are taking space and I now have 11GB left. There is plenty of space on that drive, so I would like to know if it is possible to extend Windows partition without destroying the OS. The other, more...
  10. Vanishing SSD Space ... :\

in Windows 10 Support
    Vanishing SSD Space ... :\: What ? About a week ago I had 55 GB free. Now I only have 27. Why ? My downloads folder is clean. So is my trash folder. If I right-click everything (including hidden files) in the C: drive, it says 62 GB. If I right-click the whole drive, it says 84 GB used. It doesn't make...