Windows 10: SSD Maintenance

Discus and support SSD Maintenance in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; What does everyone do about keeping a SSD at top performance? Found a program called Tweak SSD,does anyone use this?. Are you suppose to defrag a SSD?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by zplugger, Jan 29, 2016.

1. zplugger Win User

SSD Maintenance

What does everyone do about keeping a SSD at top performance? Found a program called Tweak SSD,does anyone use this?. Are you suppose to defrag a SSD? Thanks for any tips and info on this.
    Z

:)

zplugger, Jan 29, 2016
  2. HJLBX Win User

After KB3163018 & 3149135 Automatic Maintenance Defragments SSD instead of Optimizing

After KB3163018 and KB3149135 were installed, I noticed that manually starting Automatic Maintenance that an SSD is defragmented instead of sending only the trim command to the SSD (optimization).

It's easily verified: just manually start Automatic Maintenance with the Defragment & Optimize Drives GUI open.

You will notice in the GUI that Windows defragments the SSD using multiple passes - Pass 1, Pass 2,...

It's a screw-up...

HJLBX, Jan 29, 2016
  3. Is it safe to delete a file from C:\Recovery ?

As far as I can tell from the 'Hardware Maintenance Manual' downloaded from Lenovo there is no SSD, it is only eMMC for storage. And there is no mention of any place for an SSD to be fitted either in this manual or in the User Guide.

Ron

Ron Hewett, Jan 29, 2016
  4. jds63 Win User

SSD Maintenance

Me personally i just use trim in Windows 10, i do not let software write and erase large files often, i use a HDD for this. Do not believe there is a need for these third party tweakers.

jds63, Jan 29, 2016
  5. zplugger Win User
    Trim in windows? not sure what and where it is.

zplugger, Jan 29, 2016
  6. jds63 Win User
    Right click the SSD in This PC select Properties then it would be under Tools then Optimize.

jds63, Jan 29, 2016
  7. zplugger Win User
    Thank You
    How often do you do this?

zplugger, Jan 29, 2016
  8. jds63 Win User

SSD Maintenance

Can schedule it as shown there in Optimization, but i tend to find out the schedule does not work at times. Matters on how you use your SSD, amounts of writes and erases. I maybe once a week to once a month.

jds63, Jan 29, 2016
  9. zplugger Win User
    Perfect Thanks for all the info

zplugger, Jan 29, 2016
  10. jds63 Win User
    Your welcome, when windows knows you have a SSD it will optimize it in other ways. If have any software programs that write large files a lot use a HDD for it so it keeps the health of the SSD.

jds63, Jan 29, 2016
  11. Steve C Win User
    I can trim using the Windows built in trim function or the manufacturer's utility - in my case Intel SSD Toolbox or Samsung Magician for my PCs.

Which is best to use or doesn't it make any difference?

Steve C, Jan 29, 2016
  12. swarfega Win User
    Don't use Tweak SSD. It does a lot of unnecessary things, some of which are out-dated with the advancement of SSD technology.

I just use Window's own defrag tool which trims SSDs.

swarfega, Jan 29, 2016
  13. altae Win User

SSD Maintenance

If the system has correctly recognized the drive as SSD there is absolutely nothing you have to do manually. Windows does invoke Trim automatically when needed. No defrag, no manual trim, just use it.

altae, Jan 29, 2016
  14. brummyfan Win User
    Yes, I also use SSD as it is and let OS take care of the maintenance.

brummyfan, Jan 30, 2016
  15. the question is has windows actually been able to take care of the maintenance of the os with reliability? apple's os x is very good at maintaining its self but I question if windows has matured enough to do so. I still use disk clean up and since I have a regular hard drive at the moment I still run disk defrag every week or 2

pitbullpup, Jan 30, 2016
Thema:

SSD Maintenance

1. SSD Maintenance - Similar Threads - SSD Maintenance

2. Accessing document files from SSD hooked to a USB attachment?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accessing document files from SSD hooked to a USB attachment?: I've been using this SSD for some time now and I have over 300GB of important documents, videos, and photos I need access to but it will show me contents in any other folder. I've tried to every other way, even trying to boot from it even when it used to boot it wouldn't...
  3. Accessing document files from SSD hooked to a USB attachment?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accessing document files from SSD hooked to a USB attachment?: I've been using this SSD for some time now and I have over 300GB of important documents, videos, and photos I need access to but it will show me contents in any other folder. I've tried to every other way, even trying to boot from it even when it used to boot it wouldn't...
  4. Why has my laptop stopped recognizing my LaCie SSD Pro after Windows ran an update?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why has my laptop stopped recognizing my LaCie SSD Pro after Windows ran an update?: My LaCie SSD Pro external drive that I work from everyday randomly will not be recognized by my laptop. A different LaCie SSD drive works, the cable and port both work, and the drive can be recognized by other computers. I know Windows ran an update the morning before it no...
  5. Why has my laptop stopped recognizing my LaCie SSD Pro after Windows ran an update?

Why has my laptop stopped recognizing my LaCie SSD Pro after Windows ran an update?: My LaCie SSD Pro external drive that I work from everyday randomly will not be recognized by my laptop. A different LaCie SSD drive works, the cable and port both work, and the drive can be recognized by other computers. I know Windows ran an update the morning before it no...
  6. PC unable to boot due to SSD W11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC unable to boot due to SSD W11: PC had completely frozen so I restarted it, then during boot up says,[Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key]So I open BIOS and there seems to be no issue so I google the problem and end up creating a Recovery drive...
  7. PC unable to boot due to SSD W11

PC unable to boot due to SSD W11: PC had completely frozen so I restarted it, then during boot up says,[Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key]So I open BIOS and there seems to be no issue so I google the problem and end up creating a Recovery drive...
  8. How to run OS from SSD?

How to run OS from SSD?: The issue I have is that my operating system is on my C hard drive, while the EFI that boots my computer is on my SSD. My goal is just to move everything to the SSD so it boots the operating system from there I just want to speed up my computer. But, I can't simply migrate...
  9. The Optimization Memory Bug is fixed, but Auto maintenance still tries to Defrag SSD.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The Optimization Memory Bug is fixed, but Auto maintenance still tries to Defrag SSD.: Just caught auto maintenance trying to Defrag it not Trim, Defrag... Might want to keep auto optimization turned off. Unless it has always done that before this bug. submitted by /u/Codeboy3423 [link] [comments]...
  10. Windows Defrag schedule / SSD maintenance query

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Defrag schedule / SSD maintenance query: Hi all, As I posted in another thread (about another issue) a while back, I recently installed an SSD and did a clean install of Windows 10. Being my first experience of using an SSD, I did a lot of reading up on it, mainly about maintenance, such as defragmentation etc,...