Windows 10: SSD migrated system not booting unless selected in bios.

Discus and support SSD migrated system not booting unless selected in bios. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My wife purchased a Dell 8700 XPS with i7 4790 processor,16GB ram. and Nvidia GeForce GTX 745 4GB and a 2 terabyte hard drive. She also purchased a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Archquark, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Archquark Win User

SSD migrated system not booting unless selected in bios.

My wife purchased a Dell 8700 XPS with i7 4790 processor,16GB ram. and Nvidia GeForce GTX 745 4GB and a 2 terabyte hard drive. She also purchased a Kingston HyperX 120 GB SSD. I used a popular software to migrated Windows 8.1 Home to the SSD from the HDD. This seemed to work well but on booting up the system the HDD boots unless I go into the bios and select the SSD in SATA 2 under the DVD reader/burner and select a {L: boot manager on Disk 1{ which was installed by migration software.
    I had hoped to format the HDD and use as data disk afterwards.

I noted that some threads mention I should have disconnected HDD when booting from SSD first time which I did not do.

It also appears that the OEM partition is still on the HDD. I believe a clean install is required. Will this also remove the > boot manager on disk 1> line in the bios.

Thanks in advance for any help.

:)

Archquark, Aug 22, 2015

2. Windows 10 Restoration Incomplete and facing issues in installing Windows 10 on SSD (the laptop contains one SSD and one HDD)

To simplify the resolution of your situation, I would suspect that both the SSD and the original HDD are the same size. You could replace the HDD with the SSD and put the HDD in the caddy. On a UEFI device, it should not really matter where Windows is
    installed, unless the system still sees the connection to the caddy device as removable media.

Another thing to check is if you have the option to select the SSD in the caddy as the first boot device in your UEFI firmware/BIOS settings.

The SSD has to show up as a UEFI boot device and be visible as that from BIOS. That means it needs to be a GPT disk with the right partitioning scheme (System files on a small FAT32 partition, etc.). Windows setup would normally take care of setting that
    up properly.

Don Cuthbert, Aug 22, 2015
  3. YuanSR Win User
    Move Windows 10 from installed hdd to installed ssd

Get a disk cloning software and do the cloning job, from HDD to SSD on PC.

Change boot priority to cloned SSD in BIOS or remove HDD to test if you can boot up successfully.

Cloning method is safe but still it is good to create a backup image for your Win10 before you start.

For detailed steps with screenshots, you may need:
    migrate Windows 10 to SSD without data loss

YuanSR, Aug 22, 2015
  4. Bazz Win User

Have you tried swapping the sata cables over for the drives.

5. Archquark Win User
    Yes I have DVD on SATA 0 on the motherboard and SSD on SATA 1 port. When I select (Boot Manager on Disk 1) in the bios and restart computer it does boot up on SSD but on next boot up if Bios setting not selected again it boots into HDD

Archquark, Aug 22, 2015
  6. Bazz Win User
    You should be able to disable the hard drive for booting. When you make any changes make sure to hit the F10 key and save changes.

7. CmmTch Win User
    OS boot SSD should be on SATA 0 (first SATA port on MB) depending on how long it took it might be quicker and less hassle to start over and remove the HDD after migrating, have SSD on SATA 0 and go from there. after that all should work ok.

Since the HDD was still connected it's possible the boot ended up on the HDD.

When I did that (migrated from HDD to SSD, then upgraded SSD from 64G to 120G) migration software just wouldn't work for me, I installed the new SSD and booted from install media (Win7 cd) and went to repair, I imaged from backup to the SSD(s). That worked great, did have to run startup repair from cd the first time to get it to boot from the SSD.

I have a 500G HDD in the computer that's only used for backups/image.

A quick fix might be to remove the HDD, move the SSD to SATA port 0 and run start up repair if available.

PS When I did this the only drives in the computer were the new SSD and the backup HDD

CmmTch, Aug 22, 2015
  8. Word Man Win User

Word Man, Aug 23, 2015
  9. Archquark Win User
    I have done so on each occasion after placing SSD in proper boot sequence and selecting Boot manager on Disk 1 in the bios. Also rechecked that signal cable was on SATA 1 on motherboard.

Archquark, Aug 23, 2015
  10. topgundcp Win User
    In the New MB. If you have 2 HD's using UEFI with Windows OS installed then you'll have 2 Windows Boot Manager. There is a section in the BIOS to set which UEFI Boot Manager you want to boot first. See screenshot: the first screen when selected will display the second screen where you set the Boot Order. In your system, the boot order is set to your HD then SSD. You need to either disable the 1st one or set the order for the SSD to be first.

SSD migrated system not booting unless selected in bios. [​IMG]

SSD migrated system not booting unless selected in bios. [​IMG]

topgundcp, Aug 23, 2015
  11. Archquark Win User

Archquark, Aug 23, 2015
  12. CmmTch Win User
    Thanks for posting back Archquark *Smile This will definitely help somebody else.

I found out when I got my first SSD that if it's your OS/boot drive it needs to be on the first SATA port on the MB. Usually port 0, sometimes the first SATA port is 1, most times it's 0.

Also the optical drives should be on the last ports, I don't remember exactly why, probably learned that the same place I found out about the SSD on the first SATA port. Could have been on the Crucial SSD forum Crucial SSDs - Crucial Community My first SSD was a Crucial M4 64G, that forum was a huge help.

CmmTch, Aug 24, 2015
  13. Archquark Win User

I have 5 SATA ports so if I read you correctly the DVD drive has to be placed on SATA 4 [SATA Ports are identified as 0 to 4.] I had expected it to be connected to SATA 0 in case you were installing from a DVD and the SSD on SATA 1. Does the physical SATA port have no relation to the sequence one sets in the BIOS/UEFI. Would placing the DVD on SATA 2 after SSD and HDD still allow it to boot first if selected as such in the bios.

Archquark, Aug 24, 2015
  14. CmmTch Win User
    The optical drive (cd, dvd, etc..) should be on the highest numbered SATA ports, your boot/OS drive should be on the first SATA port.

When booting if you want to boot from a different device, cd, dvd, usb, you can set that as a one time option when the computer starts. I think it's F8 on mine (ASUS MB)

You can set it up however you want to since it's your computer, if it were me I would leave the BIOS and SATA ports alone because it's working how you wanted it to work (boot from SSD every time) and when needed use the F key for your computer to allow you to change the boot device for that boot.

I'm not sure why the relation between the SATA ports and what devices are on which port work the way they do, I just know it works for me and it sounds like it worked for you too. When you start the computer press whatever F key gets you the choice of what device to boot from and choose it, that is a one time choice for that boot.

You can experiment with different settings and different sequences of devices on the SATA ports. write down the way you have it now so when it won't work you can get back to a working configuration. I'm not sure of why you want to have the dvd set to boot first, there's no advantage that I can see in setting it like that.

CmmTch, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. SSD migrated system not booting unless selected in bios. - Similar Threads - SSD migrated system

2. system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive.: Hi, Iam using Dell latitude 5400 i7 8th gen laptop. I got it with 256 GB m.2 sata ssd which was slower. so I upgraded to m.2 nvme ssd from Western Digital WD SN570 1TB SSD. I backed up my data from previous ssd and removed the old ssd and installed new ssd into the system....
  3. system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive.: Hi, Iam using Dell latitude 5400 i7 8th gen laptop. I got it with 256 GB m.2 sata ssd which was slower. so I upgraded to m.2 nvme ssd from Western Digital WD SN570 1TB SSD. I backed up my data from previous ssd and removed the old ssd and installed new ssd into the system....
  4. system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Migrating to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrating to SSD: Hi, I have an old notebook in which I want to add an m.2 SSD256gb and run a dual memoryHDD with 1TB. I searched online and I learnt that It should work. The problem is that I one to install only W10 and some programs on the SSD, while I want to keep the other things on the...
  6. SSD won't show in BOOT Selection, but appears on BIOS Information

SSD won't show in BOOT Selection, but appears on BIOS Information: So guys, I'm currently facing an issue where 1 of my installed SSDs didn't appear on EFI BOOT Selection, yet IT'S READABLE in BIOS INFORMATION! As for the detailed information, here's the timeline I can trace:1. Bought a new ThinkBook 14s Yoga with 512GB Hynix NVME SSD & Win...
  7. selecting 1st boot in bios

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    selecting 1st boot in bios: Hi guys, I have just successfully cloned my laptop hhd to ssd with Macrium , which advises that to boot from the ssd requires making the nessessary selection in the bios. I have opened the bios which is recognising the ssd and in the boot column I have the new drive as no 1,...
  8. Unable to boot to BIOS unless gpu is reseated

Unable to boot to BIOS unless gpu is reseated: Hey guys I've had this persisting issue with this particular build since I got the i7, the mobo and the ram. The GPU and the PSU have been used in previous builds with absolutely zero issues. This issue has stopped and started over several months, starting when the...
  9. Migration to an SSD

Migration to an SSD: I moved the Windows 10 installation of my mother's PC from a hard drive to a SSD using DriveImageXML drive2drive feature with Windows running. I copied the boot system partition and the Windows partition (C*Smile then booted with the new system partition. But even if I booted...
  10. Migration to SSD/HDD system

Migration to SSD/HDD system: Hi, I have a cloned copy of my existing HDD and am considering buying (or personaly upgrading to) a new system with a SSD and HDD. Obviously the current Windows installation is on a HDD, so is it possiblethat I could I restore the cloned Windows system to a SSD and the...