Windows 10: SSD mistaken for Flash Disk - WHY??? What's the workaround

Discus and support SSD mistaken for Flash Disk - WHY??? What's the workaround in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When attempting to upgrade from Windows 10 pro 1709 to 1803: I get this: "This PC can't run Windows 10"---!!! "You can't install Windows on a USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by suikerbossie, Aug 13, 2018.

1. SSD mistaken for Flash Disk - WHY??? What's the workaround

When attempting to upgrade from Windows 10 pro 1709 to 1803:

I get this: "This PC can't run Windows 10"---!!!

"You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using set-up."

I'm running windows 10 pro 1709 on Samsung's Evo 850 SSD on "This PC."

WHAT IS THE WORKAROUND -- PLEASE?

:)

suikerbossie, Aug 13, 2018
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Aug 13, 2018
  3. SSD not being shown in disk management

Western Digital got back to me and this solved my problem:

Thank you for your continued response.

Please perform the steps mentioned below to run Diskpart. Please note that following steps will erase all the data on the SSD including partitions and boot sector.

1. Open Command Prompt, Click on Start - Run - Type cmd and hit Enter.

2. Type diskpart, and then press ENTER to open the diskpart tool.

3. Type list disk, and then press ENTER. A list of available hard disks is displayed.

4. Type sel disk #number, and then press ENTER. Number is the number of the hard disk that you want to clean. The hard disk is now selected.

5. Type det disk, and then press ENTER. A list of partitions on the hard disk is displayed. Use this information to verify that the correct disk is selected.

6. Make sure that the disk does not contain required data, type clean all, and then press ENTER to clean the disk. All the partitions and all the data on the disk is permanently removed.

7. Type exit, and then press ENTER to close

FLY LIK A MUG, Aug 13, 2018
  4. topgundcp Win User

SSD mistaken for Flash Disk - WHY??? What's the workaround

Transfer System disk image to SSD

Here's my suggestion: Connect the SSD to the PC.

• Download: Macrium Reflect Free and install then run.
      IMPORTANT: click on the 1st icon on the top left to create a Macrium Rescue disk (using USB or DVD)
    • Open Disk Management and make sure the SSD is disk 1.
      From Admin Command, type:
      diskpart
      select disk 1
      clean
      exit
      exit
    • From Macrium, The disk with Windows currently running will have the partitions as shown in your screen shot above. Click on Clone this disk...
      A Windows popup, click on select a disk to clone to...
      Click on the SSD
    • Select the 100MB "System Reserved", drag and drop to the destination (SSD)
    • Select the 60GB "C Drive", drag and drop to the destination(SSD) next to the System Reserved
    • Click Next->Finish
    • Once done, shutdown, disconnect the HD and connect the SSD Only
    • Boot up with the Macrium Rescue disk created in step 1.
    • Once booted, click on "Fix Windows boot problems" and follow the instruction to complete.
    • Remove the Rescue disk and reboot.

topgundcp, Aug 13, 2018
Thema:

SSD mistaken for Flash Disk - WHY??? What's the workaround

1. SSD mistaken for Flash Disk - WHY??? What's the workaround - Similar Threads - SSD mistaken Flash

2. why my ssd use 100% disk space?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why my ssd use 100% disk space?: I HAVE 2 STORAGES SSD AND HDD. NOW MY SSDSYSTEM STORAGE USE 100% OF DISK. I FACE SOME PROBLEMS DURING DISKSSD USE 100%.. HOW CAN I SOLVE IT? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-my-ssd-use-100-disk-space/4622a225-734b-4fd2-9ff6-489cc321c2ed
  3. why my ssd use 100% disk space?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why my ssd use 100% disk space?: I HAVE 2 STORAGES SSD AND HDD. NOW MY SSDSYSTEM STORAGE USE 100% OF DISK. I FACE SOME PROBLEMS DURING DISKSSD USE 100%.. HOW CAN I SOLVE IT? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-my-ssd-use-100-disk-space/4622a225-734b-4fd2-9ff6-489cc321c2ed
  4. why my ssd use 100% disk space?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Why is Family Safety down? And workaround?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is Family Safety down? And workaround?: I am not able to load my kids data in Family Safety, either in web site or not the app. When would it be fixed? Any workaround? Error - 'Looks like we're having trouble showing this feature. Wait, then refresh'...
  6. Why is Family Safety down? And workaround?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is Family Safety down? And workaround?: I am not able to load my kids data in Family Safety, either in web site or not the app. When would it be fixed? Any workaround? Error - 'Looks like we're having trouble showing this feature. Wait, then refresh'...
  7. usmt.ppkg mistakenly deleted, what should I do?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    usmt.ppkg mistakenly deleted, what should I do?: Hi, I was trying to clean up some space for my C drive, and after a careless operation, I mistakenly deleted the usmt.ppkg in the folder of C: recovery/customizations that weigh more or less 3-4 GB, after I checked some forums and websites I realized I have really messed...
  8. System mistakenly showing SSD as HDD,

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    System mistakenly showing SSD as HDD,: tried winsat formal, winsat diskformal, winsat disk -drive X but doesnt work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-mistakenly-showing-ssd-as-hdd/fc9f891e-c207-4d64-a461-fd80f24746b8
  9. FORMATTING A FLASH DISK

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    FORMATTING A FLASH DISK: I AM FAILING TO FORMAT MY 8 GB FLASH DISK https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-a-flash-disk/e1399aed-23e3-42b6-ac83-7b3d736e9402"
  10. Flash disk

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Flash disk: why there is no way to send documents to a flash disk? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/flash-disk/2ac96552-3965-4c66-a27a-878c718d2cbe