Windows 10: SSD not appearing as a boot option in BIOS

Discus and support SSD not appearing as a boot option in BIOS in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently cloned my system to my SSD (laptop crashed, when it got fixed windows was installed on my hard drive instead, but laptop came with SSD). I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mdelsole, Dec 20, 2018.

1. mdelsole Win User

SSD not appearing as a boot option in BIOS

I recently cloned my system to my SSD (laptop crashed, when it got fixed windows was installed on my hard drive instead, but laptop came with SSD). I am trying to set it as the boot option in BIOS, but it isn't appearing. The SSD is working fine normally, as I said I successfully cloned my system to it. Here you can see it is clearly an installed drive (HGST is my Hard drive, THNSN is my 128 GB SSD):

SSD not appearing as a boot option in BIOS [​IMG]

However when looking at the hard drive bbs options, the drive does not appear:

It doesn't appear in the normal boot options either, although I'm not sure if this menu matters:

Any advice would be appreciated.

:)

mdelsole, Dec 20, 2018
  2. HairyFool Win User

Windows 10 SSD Boot and Sleep faliure

Windows cannot stop the BIOS recognising the SSD. If at any time you can go into the BIOS and the SSD is not listed then you have an (intermittent) hardware fault. It does not matter what the precursor steps are if the hardware was OK it must be listed

Step 6 is categorical, you have a hardware fault. BIOS device recognition is always before drivers load so they cannot affect the process

HairyFool, Dec 20, 2018
  3. Josef Bri Win User
    Re: All boot options are tried...

Hi Elda,

If the boot sequence didn't work, then we suggest try running the laptop in safe mode. To do this, here's a few steps to follow:

• Power down your laptop.
    • Turn it back on again.
    • When you turn it back on, press F8 repeatedly until the power on option appeared.
    • If you see the boot option "Safe Mode with Networking", choose that option.
    • See if you can boot up in Safe mode.

We'll look forward to your response.

Josef Bri, Dec 20, 2018
  4. SSD not appearing as a boot option in BIOS

UEFI boot options disappeared from BIOS; now getting reboot and select proper boot device

In short, I need to get the system/BIOS to allow UEFI booting of the SSD.

Computer started up today with default BIOS settings.

• Only SSD 1(Windows boot) and SSD 2 were listed in BIOS; HDD 1 and HDD 2 were not visible
    • System would not boot. Gave the 'reboot and select proper boot device' message
    • Boot menu has no UEFI/EFI (or Windows Boot Manager) entries anymore
    I went into Partition Magic/Gparted and confirmed :

• All drives are still showing
    • All drives' data is in tact [EFI volume/partition is still listed (and can be browsed/files accessible)]
    Gparted print out (note dev/sda2 apparently that is normal behavior) :

/dev/sda1 (locked) EFI System Partition--Fat32--/media/sda1--100.00mb--46.81MiB--53.19MiB--boot,esp
    /dev/sda2 (exclamation mark) Microsoft reserved partition--unknown file system--no mount point--128.00MiB--unused spaced--msftres
    /dev/sda3 basic data partition--ntfs--/media/sda3--118.58GiB--70.78GiB--47.80GiB--msftdata
    /dev/sda4--ntfs--/media/sda4--450.00MiB--327.71MiB--122.29MiB--hidden,diag

As I am able to boot Windows installation from USB, I tried the standard startup repair. It said it was not able to fix any problems.

Next I tried to repair the EFI with Diskpart in the shell:

• sel vol 1 (note that Diskpart states EFI partition is 'hidden')
    • assign letter=z:
    • cd /d z:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\
    • bootrec /fixboot
    • bcdboot c:\Windows /l en-us /s vz /f ALL
    It completed all tasks successfully. Unfortunately that did not work.

Other things I have tried :

• Removing CMOS battery and replacing with a new one - my HDD started showing up again after doing this.
    • Using the old MBR commands(in hopes it would force the Windows startup repair to recognize and fix a problem)
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd​
    • Loaded BIOS 'optimized'/defaults (the system did this already once before, hence why I am in this situation, though doing it manually seemed like an option worth trying. Note that after doing this and restarting the system, HDD's stopped showing again)
    • Removed new CMOS battery and left it out of the system for thirty minutes
    • Formatted EFI and msftres partitions, then rebuilt the EFI boot records
    In summary, am looking to force the BIOS to see the EFI partition on the SSD boot drive, as it is not an option any longer.

newconroer, Dec 20, 2018
Thema:

SSD not appearing as a boot option in BIOS

1. SSD not appearing as a boot option in BIOS - Similar Threads - SSD appearing boot

2. No option to boot from SSD in BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No option to boot from SSD in BIOS: Hi.Recently I installed a 128GB SSD in my HP Pavillion gaming 15 ec009ax which earlier only had 1TB HDD installed. I migrated the Windows from HDD to SSD using the mini tool partition wizard but I can not set the SSD as the boot device in the BIOS. It only shows the HDD as...
  3. No option to boot from SSD in BIOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No option to boot from SSD in BIOS: Hi.Recently I installed a 128GB SSD in my HP Pavillion gaming 15 ec009ax which earlier only had 1TB HDD installed. I migrated the Windows from HDD to SSD using the mini tool partition wizard but I can not set the SSD as the boot device in the BIOS. It only shows the HDD as...
  4. Replacing HDD with SSD. USB boot drive not appear in BIOS.

Replacing HDD with SSD. USB boot drive not appear in BIOS.: HelloI'm trying to replace a defective HDD in Windows 10 computer with a SSD. The bootable USB I downloaded with the media creation tool does not appear in the BIOS boot menu. With it not being there I can't set the boot to it. The SSD appears but not the USB drive. Can...
  5. Replacing HDD with SSD. USB boot drive not appear in BIOS.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replacing HDD with SSD. USB boot drive not appear in BIOS.: HelloI'm trying to replace a defective HDD in Windows 10 computer with a SSD. The bootable USB I downloaded with the media creation tool does not appear in the BIOS boot menu. With it not being there I can't set the boot to it. The SSD appears but not the USB drive. Can...
  6. Why won't my SSD appear in BIOS boot priority?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why won't my SSD appear in BIOS boot priority?: Hello! I'm Mike and I've been working for the past 4 days on attempting to copy my files to my newly installed M.2 Solid state drive, and then setting that drive as the boot drive to enhance the performance of my Dell Alienware 17 r4 laptop. I've done an array of things,...
  7. Why won't my SSD appear in BIOS boot priority?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why won't my SSD appear in BIOS boot priority?: Hello! I'm Mike and I've been working for the past 4 days on attempting to copy my files to my newly installed M.2 Solid state drive, and then setting that drive as the boot drive to enhance the performance of my Dell Alienware 17 r4 laptop. I've done an array of things,...
  8. Ssd showing in F9 boot option but not in Bios

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ssd showing in F9 boot option but not in Bios: I have hp Pavillion laptop 1tb hdd and 16gb ram with windows 10 os, so i intsall 256gb ssd on the place of hdd and put hdd in DVD writer it is working properly when i select it pressing f9 boot menu and select ssd as boot device but when it start normally it start on hdd. My...
  9. Ssd showing in F9 boot option but not in Bios

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ssd showing in F9 boot option but not in Bios: I have hp Pavillion laptop 1tb hdd and 16gb ram with windows 10 os, so i intsall 256gb ssd on the place of hdd and put hdd in DVD writer it is working properly when i select it pressing f9 boot menu and select ssd as boot device but when it start normally it start on hdd. My...
  10. Ssd showing in F9 boot option but not in Bios

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ssd not showing up in uefi boot menu

2. my boot options is no showing any drives

3. ssd not showing as boot option

4. ssd boots but name disappeared from bios ,
  5. ssd not appearing on boot options,
  6. ssd does not appera in the booting options,
  7. my solid state drive is not showing up in boot menu,
  8. ssd doesnt show up as boot option,
  9. m2 ssd not an option for boot order,
  10. ssd not in boot menu,
  11. my pc crashed and my ssd is missing from the boot menu,