Windows 10: SSD Not being assigned drive letter

Discus and support SSD Not being assigned drive letter in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; After formatting my extra SSD, windows won't assign it a drive letter when the computer starts. I have to use a third-party software to assign the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Reck, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Reck Win User

SSD Not being assigned drive letter

After formatting my extra SSD, windows won't assign it a drive letter when the computer starts. I have to use a third-party software to assign the letter, and I have to do it everytime it boots, and it's starting to annoy me.

Can't really find any solutions on google

:)

2. toddy_df Win User

installing a ssd drive

hi

can any one please advise i am going to to install a ssd drive onto my system running windows 10. If i clone my drive after installing the new ssd drive will it also copy the letter ?.

Or do i just change the the boot letter in the bios ?.

If the drive letter assigned is not " C " will this still boot ok ?.

toddy_df, Mar 16, 2016
  3. My second hard drive is not being recognized correctly, need help

So i have an SSD as the OS drive, OS installed on there, everything on that drive is great.

I have a second HD, 1TB drive that wasn't recognized in "My Computer" but was showing up in Device Manager. Went ahead, brought up console and assigned the drive a letter ("E", "C" is the SSD, and "D" was the optical drive)

So I go to check out the drive in My Computer, and it's an empty drive, which it should be, but... It's 499gb, instead of 1tb, and it's got 375gb reserved/used and 174gb free. It's also called "System Reserved"?

Picture of problem:
    SSD Not being assigned drive letter [​IMG]

Side note: Why is my asus optical drive (DVD RW Drive(DSSD Not being assigned drive letter :) say "Samsung SSD" and have a picture of the SSD as it's Icon? Then the local drive has a generic Icon? This is all very confusing.

Sooo, Im talking to you guys in hopes that you can help me with two things.

1) Get the hard drives being recognized correctly, as an empty 1TB drive, the DVD RW as an optical drive, and the "Local Disk" as the SSD.

2) How do I switch the drive letters, I know how to assign an empty drive a letter, but I want my 1Tb HD to be drive "D", and the optical drive to be "E"

Thank you

-Specs

Win 10 64bit

250 SSD OS drive (samsung)

1TB HD (Western Digital)

Hockeygod9911, Mar 16, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

Is it internal or external drive ?
    Did you try assigning letter thru disk management ?

CountMike, Mar 16, 2016
  5. Reck Win User
    The drive is internal, and the only thing I can do with disk management, is delete the partitions on it.

6. Cliff S New Member
    Does it have any volumes created and are they/is it formated?
    Otherwise it's only unallocated space and the OS can't give it a drive letter.

Cliff S, Mar 16, 2016
  7. Reck Win User
    I don't know if you misread something in my post, but I can assign a drive letter through a third party software, and when I do that it works fine till I reboot.

8. Cliff S New Member

Yep, I skimmed too fast*Redface

Is there anything on it you can't temporarily move to another disk?

I was thinking maybe nuking the disk using the clean command in diskpart:

How to Diskpart Erase/Clean a Drive Through the Command Prompt

Then doing a full format instead of a quick one(takes much longer, but is more thorough).

Then lastly run chkdsk /r

Cliff S, Mar 16, 2016
  9. Reck Win User
    Aren't there any other options? The only spare drive space I've got, is on a very old and slow HDD, moving all my things there would take centuries

10. Cliff S New Member
    try just the chkdsk /r first. It will check for errors and bad blocks and repair what it finds.

Cliff S, Mar 16, 2016
  11. CountMike New Member
    I doubt there's anything wrong with disk, must be something with windows. Do you have "Do not Show empty drives" checked or not in Folder options ?

CountMike, Mar 16, 2016
  12. Reck Win User
    I'm running chkdsk now.

CountMike, what does that have to do with the drive not automatically being assigned a drive letter by windows?

13. CountMike New Member

Might be trying to assign a letter already in use or reserved by something else. A guy was having trouble with USB drives and when I unchecked that, it was packed from A to Z.

CountMike, Mar 16, 2016
  14. Reck Win User
    It was initially set to use the letter E, which isn't used by any other drives.

Anyhow, I tried disabling hiding empty drives, and now I can't access the disk at all. Might be because chkdsk is doing it's thing, I don't know.

Thema:

1. SSD Not being assigned drive letter - Similar Threads - SSD being assigned

2. Assigning Drive Letter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Assigning Drive Letter: I am trying to assign a particular letter to one of my hard drives. None of my other drives are assigned that letter, but it is not listed in the choices. Is there something I can do?...
  3. Order of drive letter assignment

in Windows 10 Customization
    Order of drive letter assignment: I have a desktop system with a C drive (SSD), a D (Raid SATA) , E (SSD). I also have an Epson WP-4535 connected via a USB port. For whatever reason, Windows assigns the next three drive letters to the printer, I'm not clear why. These assignments don't show up explorer, or...
  4. Assign a drive letter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Assign a drive letter: When I plug an external hard drive to my PC (Windows 10) via the USB, the computer does not recognize it in Windows Explorer. I have to go into Disk Management to assign the drive a letter before I can see it in Windows Explorer. Is there an option in Windows 10 to...
  5. Change assigned drive letters

in Windows 10 Support
    Change assigned drive letters: Haven't done this in a while. Never in W-10 Want to move and reassign: On Disk 0 (F) becomes (D) 15 MB assigned by OS On Disk 1 (H) becomes (E) Second SSD drive On Disk 2 (D) becomes (F) First HDD used for storage On Disk 3 (E) becomes (G) External 1 GB for File History,...
  6. Cannot Assign Drive Letter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot Assign Drive Letter: Normally when a drive has no drive letter, I can assign one in disk manager but not this time. Disk Manager does not provide the option of assigning a drive letter so I cannot use the drive??? [img] 111481
  7. Already assigned and active drive letters being reassigned

Already assigned and active drive letters being reassigned: I have many systems in house that have dual USB hdd docks. These normally have two drives installed. I have assigned specific drives letters via disk manager. However when another USB storage device is added the drive letters for the two active drives in the dock will...
  8. Trouble Assigning Drive Letters

Trouble Assigning Drive Letters: Okay, I recently moved my complete MAME set to an external hd, which my computer designated "D." I also backed up my computer to a separate external hd, which my computer designated as "K." I want the backup hd to be "D" and the MAME hd to be something else. I selected...
  9. Drive letter assignment to hot-swap drives being forgotten

Drive letter assignment to hot-swap drives being forgotten: I have two SATA hot-swap drives that I alternate between each day for backups. When using Windows 7 I was able to assign the disks to g: and then after the initial assignment, windows would remember this and assign it to g: on each subsequent use. But with Windows 10 it...
  10. Cannot assign a drive letter

Cannot assign a drive letter: Hi folk. I have an external drive where the electronics of the case has failed. I have switched the drive into my pc so that I can use it as an internal drive. The drive is still operational but I cannot see it listed in my drives. Opening up disk manager shows the drive is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. second ssd has no drive assigned