Windows 10: SSD not booting up after being reconnected

Discus and support SSD not booting up after being reconnected in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So I have a laptop with NVMe SSD, I've removed the SSD while my laptop was going to a service center with intention to read it's contents with another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by randomrandom5, Apr 5, 2021.

1. SSD not booting up after being reconnected

So I have a laptop with NVMe SSD, I've removed the SSD while my laptop was going to a service center with intention to read it's contents with another laptop if need be, my laptop came back from service center and now it's no longer able to boot up it's OS from said SSD.
    Weirdly enough - it tries, just Windows gets stuck in booting screen the one with circle of dots, dots just freeze in place.

Windows repair does not detect "Drive with windows installed", Diskpart from windows install disk detects SSD, but reports size as 0 B.

So I've installed windows on other drive attempting to reach information, here situation is opposite: disk manager reports "The specified disk is not convertible because the size is less than the minimum size required for GPT disks.", Diskpart reports "there's no other disk".

I'm pretty sure if I'd wanted I could reinstall the windows and it would run without an issue, but I need information stored on that drive.

Also knowledge how to deal with situation like this would be useful in the future.

Thank you for responses

:)

randomrandom5, Apr 5, 2021

2. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Apr 5, 2021
  3. Cloned SSD Won't boot

Ok I will do this now. What are the next steps after that to make it my main drive and move everything to it?

lhunter664, Apr 5, 2021
  4. HairyFool Win User

SSD not booting up after being reconnected

Windows 10 SSD Boot and Sleep faliure

Windows cannot stop the BIOS recognising the SSD. If at any time you can go into the BIOS and the SSD is not listed then you have an (intermittent) hardware fault. It does not matter what the precursor steps are if the hardware was OK it must be listed

Step 6 is categorical, you have a hardware fault. BIOS device recognition is always before drivers load so they cannot affect the process

HairyFool, Apr 5, 2021
Thema:

SSD not booting up after being reconnected

1. SSD not booting up after being reconnected - Similar Threads - SSD booting being

2. SSD will not show up in boot...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD will not show up in boot...: So a month before my PC just suddenly started blinking on and of and display turned off so I thought it was a problem with the processor/or GPU and I put my PC away. Now when I connect my SSD the error the BIOS shows is "reboot and select proper device or insert boot media in...
  3. ssd wont boot up after weird crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ssd wont boot up after weird crash: My bootdrive randomly died while playing a gameI played Fortnite and randomly the game crashed.Then i wanted to dm my friend on discord then explorer crashed and i got a bluescreen without a : and the white textThen i needed to force reboot my laptop and my laptop tries to...
  4. ssd wont boot up after weird crash

ssd wont boot up after weird crash: My bootdrive randomly died while playing a gameI played Fortnite and randomly the game crashed.Then i wanted to dm my friend on discord then explorer crashed and i got a bluescreen without a : and the white textThen i needed to force reboot my laptop and my laptop tries to...
  5. PC not being boot up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC not being boot up: PC reaches only the preparing Windows screen but not getting to my sign in page. This PC is only 6 months and its up to date. I bought this online and now I have issue. Not booting and I dont know what to do....
  6. PC not being boot up

PC not being boot up: PC reaches only the preparing Windows screen but not getting to my sign in page. This PC is only 6 months and its up to date. I bought this online and now I have issue. Not booting and I dont know what to do....
  7. PC not being boot up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. SSD no longer boots up

SSD no longer boots up: I had something weird happen. I was running a Windows 10 laptop with a one-month-old SSD. It was running excellently. I later booted from a portable Windows 11 OS on a flash drive. The Windows 11 OS displayed that there was a disk error on my SSD and automatically went to fix...
  9. Bluetooth Keyboard Won't Reconnect After Being Removed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth Keyboard Won't Reconnect After Being Removed: Hello, My bluetooth Keyboard Microsoft Designer Compact Keyboard or something like that suddenly started performing different actions to what the buttons were meant to do earlier today. F3, instead of turning the volume down, performed the same action as pressing Control+F....
  10. Booting up off of an SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Booting up off of an SSD: I got a new SSD and installed windows onto it. I haven’t been able to set it to the boot drive and not my system off the SSD so my system still currently boots up off of a hard drive. I’ve gone into the BIOS and changed the SSD to the boot option 1, but whenever I set it as...