Windows 10: SSD not identifible in UEFI mode

Discus and support SSD not identifible in UEFI mode in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So i'm doing a fresh install of windows 10 onto my operating system and I can only install it with GPT partition mode. Only issue is after it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Chase123, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Chase123 Win User

SSD not identifible in UEFI mode

So i'm doing a fresh install of windows 10 onto my operating system and I can only install it with GPT partition mode. Only issue is after it's installed on my SSD, when it restarts and boots in the BIOS it cant be identified so I can't boot the OS. This also happens with my HDD's so last time I set it up under MBR but my SSD wont allow me to.
    Any ideas on how to go about fixing this?

:)

Chase123, Nov 19, 2016

2. Upgrading to Windows 10 UEFI mode

So I need to upgrade my windows to the newest Creators Update but my Windows is installed in BIOS mode. I'm going to change it to UEFI mode but I have some questions before.

I have 2 disks, an SSD and an HDD. My windows is installed on my SSD. If I were to re-install Windows 10 in UEFI mode, can I unplug my HDD and set it aside, install Windows to my SSD, and re-plug my HDD in and use all the data on it? Or do I need to wipe both
    drives to install Windows UEFI mode cleanly?

***Thread moved to the appropriate Windows Topic by moderator.***

DylanKuehn9, Nov 19, 2016
  3. MikeEPK Win User
    Windows 10 AU clean install UEFI vs Legacy

Another UEFI vs Legacy mode question. I currently have my Win10 OS on a 120gb SSD. It is currently MBR as stated above. My MB is Asus z87-pro which support UEFI. I am planning to do a clean install of the AU from a DVD and will install this time in UEFI.
    I read that once go through the installation process I can delete the existing partitions on the SSD and when clicking Next Win10 will create, reformat the SSD in GPT and install Win10 in UEFI mode.

My question is that I also have an WD 2tb hard drive installed with some applications and data that is MBR. Will that present any issues as far as Win10 reading that drive now that I installed in UEFI mode or does it just care that the drive the OS is on
    is GPT? Probably a stupid question, but want to make sure before I do the install in UEFI. Thanks.

MikeEPK, Nov 19, 2016
  4. badrobot Win User

You can't see the drive in the BIOS?

badrobot, Nov 19, 2016
  5. Chase123 Win User
    When i got into the BIOS the drive doesn't show up. But when i put it into legacy+uefi I can. But i cant use MBR for im SSD so to answer can I see it. No

Chase123, Nov 19, 2016
  6. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

From what you are saying it sounds as if the SSD already is using MBR. If that's the case then full UEFI mode won't let you boot from it .
    Compatibility Mode (aka CSM) would.

From an elevated command prompt enter the following:

Diskpart

then:

lis dis

That will show whether it's MBR or GPT formatted.

I don't see any reason why an SSD drive won't let you convert from mbr to gpt and vice versa.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 19, 2016
  7. Chase123 Win User
    The only issue I have when i set it up under the MBR format is when I boot it up it comes up with "no bootable media" and won't load the installed Windows 10 operating system.
    And the SSD if when I try to install under MBR I get messages saying the BIOS doesn't support the format.

Chase123, Nov 19, 2016
  8. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

Assuming you have a copy of your MB's manual read Chapter 3 page 14.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 19, 2016
  9. badrobot Win User
    Makes me wonder because I can run both GPT and MBR on my PC. GPT is my main OS and MBR is the Insider Preview.
    Just like the suggestion above, enable CSM and if you are getting "no bootable media" message, go to bios and select "Windows Boot Manager" as the first boot drive.

badrobot, Nov 19, 2016
  10. Railtech Win User
    Go ahead and install Windows 10 in UEFI GPT mode. When the install finishes boot to your bios and make sure that Windows Boot Manager is listed first in the Boot order list. That is how UEFI works, unlike MBR the disk itself is not the boot device, the EFI partition is the bootable device which points to the bootloader on the disk.

Railtech, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. SSD not identifible in UEFI mode - Similar Threads - SSD identifible UEFI

2. SSD not being detected in boot order in uefi mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD not being detected in boot order in uefi mode: Recently I had a virus attack on my pc which led it to completely wipe my pc including the drive with windows in it. This led me to redownloading windows from from a hdd I had lying around. First that wasnt detected in uefi boot mode but was detected in legacy. So I thought...
  3. SSD not being detected in boot order in uefi mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD not being detected in boot order in uefi mode: Recently I had a virus attack on my pc which led it to completely wipe my pc including the drive with windows in it. This led me to redownloading windows from from a hdd I had lying around. First that wasnt detected in uefi boot mode but was detected in legacy. So I thought...
  4. SSD not being detected in boot order in uefi mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD not being detected in boot order in uefi mode: Recently I had a virus attack on my pc which led it to completely wipe my pc including the drive with windows in it. This led me to redownloading windows from from a hdd I had lying around. First that wasnt detected in uefi boot more but was detected in legacy. So I thoughts...
  5. SSD not being detected in boot order in uefi mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD not being detected in boot order in uefi mode: Recently I had a virus attack on my pc which led it to completely wipe my pc including the drive with windows in it. This led me to redownloading windows from from a hdd I had lying around. First that wasnt detected in uefi boot more but was detected in legacy. So I thoughts...
  6. Legacy or UEFI Boot mode for new SATA SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Legacy or UEFI Boot mode for new SATA SSD?: Hello!! I am using a Lenovo V310 14ISK laptop which is set to Legacy boot mode by default. Now I want to install a SATA SSD in place of my old HDD and use it as a boot drive while keeping HDD in the DVD drive bay and use it for storing photos, videos etc.So will I have to...
  7. Legacy or UEFI Boot mode for new SATA SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Legacy or UEFI Boot mode for new SATA SSD?: Hello!! I am using a Lenovo V310 14ISK laptop which is set to Legacy boot mode by default. Now I want to install a SATA SSD in place of my old HDD and use it as a boot drive while keeping HDD in the DVD drive bay and use it for storing photos, videos etc.So will I have to...
  8. Legacy or UEFI Boot mode for new SATA SSD?

9. BIOS MODE UEFI

BIOS MODE UEFI: MY PC DOES NOT SUPPORT BIOS MODE UEFI HOW TO SUPPORT THE UEFI IN MY PC INSPIRON 15 5558 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bios-mode-uefi/ac6086ce-66ea-4ac5-a024-1fecbf1aa88a
  10. Windows uefi mode ssd wrong size of recovery partition

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows uefi mode ssd wrong size of recovery partition: When i clean install 20h2 windows in a 256 gb ssd it creates auto a recovery partition of 500 mb (with the number 4 as the foto). If you disable it (reagentc /disable) and then enable it again, the windows put the recovery in windows C partition because windows find that the...