Windows 10: SSD not showing correct size after cloning

Discus and support SSD not showing correct size after cloning in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Recently i upgraded my old ssd from 256gb to 1tb and after cloning it shows the old size. I used macrium reflect free edition to clone. How do i get it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by reqx, Mar 27, 2019.

1. reqx Win User

SSD not showing correct size after cloning

Recently i upgraded my old ssd from 256gb to 1tb and after cloning it shows the old size. I used macrium reflect free edition to clone. How do i get it to show the new size? Also when i open the new ssd none of the system files show up, its just empty even though the capacity shows being occupied. Thanks
    SSD not showing correct size after cloning [​IMG]

SSD not showing correct size after cloning [​IMG]

:)

2. srdjanmax Win User

Hello all,

Recently I have cloned my HDD to a new SSD. The SDD is 480GB and HDD 1TB. Interestingly when I go to disk management, in the upper window, the SSD is listed with a correct capacity. In the lower window, however, it shows that the SSD has the capacity of roughly 1TB (the same as the HDD, which I cloned to SDD). For better explanation I have attached the screenshot of my Disk Management. Does anyone know how to have this corrected?

Thanks,

srdjanmax, Mar 27, 2019
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Mar 27, 2019
  4. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

Part of how I keep my SSD fast is to clone it to a platter drive, then clone back. You just want to make sure that you are only cloning teh used space, and not the empty space.

So, again, I isntall Windows to the ssd. Clone to platter drive, then clone back.

I am not sure why, but if I do not do the clone step, the drive's speed, and windows booting, decreases substantially within a week or so.

I am using a Corsair F60 SSD and a Western Digital 500AAKS as drives, and using the free version of Acronis that WD provides, if any of that matters. I am not sure, at this point.

cadaveca, Mar 27, 2019
Thema:

1. SSD not showing correct size after cloning - Similar Threads - SSD showing correct

2. SSD having wrong size after cloning OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD having wrong size after cloning OS: Hello! So I cloned my OS to a new SSD. I've used the minitool partition wizard 10.0. The process was successful but the new SSD where I copied my OS is showing 2 partitions with the other one having a size double of its original size. I found some tutorials on youtube how to...
  3. SSD having wrong size after cloning OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD having wrong size after cloning OS: Hello! So I cloned my OS to a new SSD. I've used the minitool partition wizard 10.0. The process was successful but the new SSD where I copied my OS is showing 2 partitions with the other one having a size double of its original size. I found some tutorials on youtube how to...
  4. SSD having wrong size after cloning OS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Old Hdd not showing in explorer after cloning to ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Old Hdd not showing in explorer after cloning to ssd: I bought a new 500gb SSD, and did a disk copy of my old hdd, went into the BIOS afterwards and booted into the new hdd . It booted fine and everything works except I can't see the old hdd in explorer. It does show up in the BIOS and disk management panel though.The new ssd is...
  6. Old Hdd not showing in explorer after cloning to ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old Hdd not showing in explorer after cloning to ssd: I bought a new 500gb SSD, and did a disk copy of my old hdd, went into the BIOS afterwards and booted into the new hdd . It booted fine and everything works except I can't see the old hdd in explorer. It does show up in the BIOS and disk management panel though.The new ssd is...
  7. Old Hdd not showing in explorer after cloning to ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Disk size after cloning/migrating

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk size after cloning/migrating: Some time ago, I changed from a HDD 3TB to a smaller SSD 512GB. The change seemed to work fine, the desktop works fine. Recently I tried to back up the C: drive and system by creating an image file on an external USB disk. This attempt failed and I started to check what the...
  9. Activation after clone to SSD?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation after clone to SSD?: Sorry if this has been covered. laptop has Win 10 that was an free upgrade from Windows 7. If I clone to SSD will activation remain? I know if hardware changes will be an issue. I will backup key just in case, not sure it is needed. later hopefully a fresh install. I...
  10. SSD not showing correct size after cloning

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    SSD not showing correct size after cloning: Hello all, Recently I have cloned my HDD to a new SSD. The SDD is 480GB and HDD 1TB. Interestingly when I go to disk management, in the upper window, the SSD is listed with a correct capacity. In the lower window, however, it shows that the SSD has the capacity of roughly...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ssd showing wrong capacity windows 10

2. why after cloning my drive is not correct size

3. ssd not showing correct capacity

4. ssd detected as wrong size after clone,
  5. window 10 wrong capacity showing after cloning