Windows 10: SSD not showing correct size after cloning

Discus and support SSD not showing correct size after cloning in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello all, Recently I have cloned my HDD to a new SSD. The SDD is 480GB and HDD 1TB. Interestingly when I go to disk management, in the upper... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by srdjanmax, Apr 1, 2017.

1. srdjanmax Win User

SSD not showing correct size after cloning

Hello all,

Recently I have cloned my HDD to a new SSD. The SDD is 480GB and HDD 1TB. Interestingly when I go to disk management, in the upper window, the SSD is listed with a correct capacity. In the lower window, however, it shows that the SSD has the capacity of roughly 1TB (the same as the HDD, which I cloned to SDD). For better explanation I have attached the screenshot of my Disk Management. Does anyone know how to have this corrected?

Thanks,

:)

srdjanmax, Apr 1, 2017

2. Correct storage size of SSD not showing up in windows 10

I currently have two drives on my computer One is my C: drive and the other is HP Tools F: drive. I have a 500GB SSD but when I look at the drives the C drive has 476 GB total and the F drive only has 107MB so where is the rest of my drive? Could it be after
    I deleted the Recovery partition it released the space and I didn't get it back? I used the disk management to delete the recovery drive and then I right clicked the C drive and pressed expand and then just followed the window prompts and then it was done
    I'm not sure if this gave the space to the C drive or not because it still doesn't account for the other roughly 24GB.

Thanks Cole

ColeErickson, Apr 1, 2017
  3. Correct storage size of SSD not showing up in windows 10

Hi Cole,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft forums.

I suggest you to refer to the suggestion by Tzon from the following link and check if it helps.

Disk (SSD) size show less capacity than expected

Please post back if you have any issues related to Windows and we will be glad to assist you further.

Karthik Vengaloor, Apr 1, 2017
  4. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

What software did you use to clone the HDD to the SDD ?
    Also, you should reverse the sata cables so Disk 0 is your ssd.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 2, 2017
  5. srdjanmax Win User
    I have reversed the SATA cables. The software was Lazesoft Recovery Suite Home Edition.

Thanks,

srdjanmax, Apr 2, 2017
  6. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Unfamiliar with that suite unfortunately but it obviously did something wrong.
    I suspect it ran a sector to sector clone, hence the misreporting of the partition size.
    If you do not mind doing so you could repeat the entire operation using Macrium Reflect Free which is really intuitive to use and works flawlessly IME.

Are you familiar enough with W10 to use the inbuilt "Diskpart" commands to check the true partition size on your SSD ?

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 2, 2017
  7. srdjanmax Win User
    Hi fdegrove,

I already did it. I had an additional problem with the HDD. After the clone and booting with SSD, both drives had the same ID so the HDD was not accessible (offline). Assigning it unique ID made it unbootable. So I went back and cloned the system partition from SSD to HDD, booted from HDD, and cloned again HDD to SSD using Macrium Reflect. Now everything looks fine.

Thanks!

srdjanmax, Apr 2, 2017
  8. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

Yes, I suspecting that was the problem.

Well done.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. SSD not showing correct size after cloning - Similar Threads - SSD showing correct

2. SSD having wrong size after cloning OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD having wrong size after cloning OS: Hello! So I cloned my OS to a new SSD. I've used the minitool partition wizard 10.0. The process was successful but the new SSD where I copied my OS is showing 2 partitions with the other one having a size double of its original size. I found some tutorials on youtube how to...
  3. SSD having wrong size after cloning OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD having wrong size after cloning OS: Hello! So I cloned my OS to a new SSD. I've used the minitool partition wizard 10.0. The process was successful but the new SSD where I copied my OS is showing 2 partitions with the other one having a size double of its original size. I found some tutorials on youtube how to...
  4. SSD having wrong size after cloning OS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Old Hdd not showing in explorer after cloning to ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Old Hdd not showing in explorer after cloning to ssd: I bought a new 500gb SSD, and did a disk copy of my old hdd, went into the BIOS afterwards and booted into the new hdd . It booted fine and everything works except I can't see the old hdd in explorer. It does show up in the BIOS and disk management panel though.The new ssd is...
  6. Old Hdd not showing in explorer after cloning to ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old Hdd not showing in explorer after cloning to ssd: I bought a new 500gb SSD, and did a disk copy of my old hdd, went into the BIOS afterwards and booted into the new hdd . It booted fine and everything works except I can't see the old hdd in explorer. It does show up in the BIOS and disk management panel though.The new ssd is...
  7. Old Hdd not showing in explorer after cloning to ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Disk size after cloning/migrating

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk size after cloning/migrating: Some time ago, I changed from a HDD 3TB to a smaller SSD 512GB. The change seemed to work fine, the desktop works fine. Recently I tried to back up the C: drive and system by creating an image file on an external USB disk. This attempt failed and I started to check what the...
  9. SSD not showing correct size after cloning

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    SSD not showing correct size after cloning: Recently i upgraded my old ssd from 256gb to 1tb and after cloning it shows the old size. I used macrium reflect free edition to clone. How do i get it to show the new size? Also when i open the new ssd none of the system files show up, its just empty even though the capacity...
  10. Activation after clone to SSD?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation after clone to SSD?: Sorry if this has been covered. laptop has Win 10 that was an free upgrade from Windows 7. If I clone to SSD will activation remain? I know if hardware changes will be an issue. I will backup key just in case, not sure it is needed. later hopefully a fresh install. I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. correct hd size after cloning

2. after cloning disk capacity not correct

3. cloned hd showing wrong size

4. why after cloning my drive is not correct size,
  5. scandisk ssd not showing correct size after cloning,
  6. samsung ssd only showing 500gb after cloning with clonezilla,
  7. windows detect wrong disk size after clone,
  8. ssd detected as wrong size after clone,
  9. new cloned ssd not showing correct size,
  10. cloned ssd not showing correct memory size,
  11. ssd doesnt show right size after cloning,