Windows 10: SSD not showing up in boot order in BIOS

Discus and support SSD not showing up in boot order in BIOS in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have an SSD that I want to use as my boot drive. I recently cloned my 250GB HDD to my 240GB SSD with Macrium Reflect (I want to put the operating... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Iwmiot, Jan 9, 2021.

1. /u/Iwmiot Win User

SSD not showing up in boot order in BIOS

I have an SSD that I want to use as my boot drive. I recently cloned my 250GB HDD to my 240GB SSD with Macrium Reflect (I want to put the operating system on the SSD and use the HDD for storage of videos, large games, etc.) This SSD shows up in task manager, but when I go into BIOS to change the boot order, my SSD is not listed. Just to make sure my SSD is working fine and boots, I unplugged the hard drive and my PC booted just fine to my SSD. However, when the HDD is plugged in, the SSD is completely ignored. Any tips? I have done a lot of searching online but have not found anything that works in my situation.

Specs:

HP Compaq 3005 SFF

AMD Athlon II X2 B24

AMD Radeon R5 240

8GB DDR3

250GB HDD

240GB SSD

submitted by /u/Iwmiot
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Iwmiot, Jan 9, 2021
  2. Phinkton Win User

Cannot boot from SSD, get sent back to BIOS

I have recently got a new SSD for my desktop and wanted to do a fresh install of windows and replace my current HDD, giving me a fresh slate. I go through the standard windows installation with a USB, and unplug the USB after windows has been installed onto
    the SSD, the computer will then restart and I get put back into the BIOS. My issue is that once i do this, every-time, no matter what I do when i try to boot to the SSD I get sent back to the BIOS, here is a list of what I've tried:

• Changing boot order
    • unplugging every other SATA cable except for the one connected to the SSD
    • plugging the SSD SATA cable into the lowest number SATA port on my motherboard
    • Plugging in the SSD SATA cable into the port used by my disk drive
    • Enabling and disabling safe boot in the BIOS
    • enabling and disabling CSM in the BIOS
    • Setting the boot CSM to "UEFI only" (does not recognize the SSD anymore)
    • Installing windows from the USB with the SSD being the only drive attached
    • using the same SATA port as my unplugged HDD for my SSD

When in the BIOS the SSD is the only possible boot device recognized by the motherboard, the BIOS does recognize the SSD as a bootable drive. I've checked the SSD when booting from my HDD and all the necessary windows files seem to be there. When attempting
    to boot i get a black screen with a single flashing white line in the top left, then it proceeds into the BIOS.

I have no idea what's wrong and I have found nothing that can fix it. if it's necessary here is my hardware:

ASUS Z97-A

Intel I5-4670K

NVIDIA GeForce 1070

8 GB RAM

A sound card (if that's relevant)

Storage:

HDD: Seagate 1TB

SSD: WD 1TB SSD "3D NAND" (New Drive)

Phinkton, Jan 9, 2021
  3. Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's bios menu.

Hi Matthew,

There are several possible reasons as to why your computer is not detecting an SSD drive. This could be caused by incorrect BIOS settings or device drivers that need to be updated. Since you already tried the suggestion of Andre Da Costa and this allowed
    your computer to detect the SSD already, we would like to further clarify your concern by asking the questions below:

• If you were already able to install Windows on the SSD, have you already attempted to change the boot order in the BIOS menu?
    • Which version of Windows did you install on the SSD?
    • What other troubleshooting steps have you attempted?

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Jan 9, 2021
  4. Brian App Win User

new ssd, installed win 10, first in boot order but still boots from old hard drive.

It only shows the os on the previous hard drive and not the one on the ssd. I am confident that if I unplug the other hard drives it will boot from the ssd just fine as it did several times during setup. I did learn that I had to unplug all the other
    drives when installing on the ssd as this is the only way the ssd would get the efi and recovery partition that a boot drive seem to need. Disk management also shows the ssd as a "basic data partition", but before I plugged the other hard drives back in it
    was listed as a system, boot,.... partition.

It seems that having two windows installations on separate drives and switching between them isn't as simple as doing it with just the bios boot order.

Brian App, Jan 9, 2021
Thema:

1. SSD not showing up in boot order in BIOS - Similar Threads - SSD showing boot

2. system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    system booting with new ssd but ssd not showing up in bios as a drive.: Hi, Iam using Dell latitude 5400 i7 8th gen laptop. I got it with 256 GB m.2 sata ssd which was slower. so I upgraded to m.2 nvme ssd from Western Digital WD SN570 1TB SSD. I backed up my data from previous ssd and removed the old ssd and installed new ssd into the system....
  3. SSD working fine but not showing in bios boot order!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD working fine but not showing in bios boot order!: I have an Acer Predator Helios 300 laptop, and upgraded to a SSD last week. Installed Windows 10 on it through media tool via usb and now i can't seem to see it on my bios boot order except my HDD! Although i can still see it in the information tab. I need help...
  4. SSD working fine but not showing in bios boot order!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD working fine but not showing in bios boot order!: I have an Acer Predator Helios 300 laptop, and upgraded to a SSD last week. Installed Windows 10 on it through media tool via usb and now i can't seem to see it on my bios boot order except my HDD! Although i can still see it in the information tab. I need help...
  5. SSD working fine but not showing in bios boot order!

6. SSD working properly, not showing up in boot order in BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD working properly, not showing up in boot order in BIOS: I have an HP Pavilion TG01 desktop, and upgraded to a SSD early this year. About three weeks ago, Windows 11 was brute-forced onto my system and I had to perform a rollback on my SSD using my backup HDD, which almost failed, but I eventually got to work. However, the SSD no...
  7. SSD working properly, not showing up in boot order in BIOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD working properly, not showing up in boot order in BIOS: I have an HP Pavilion TG01 desktop, and upgraded to a SSD early this year. About three weeks ago, Windows 11 was brute-forced onto my system and I had to perform a rollback on my SSD using my backup HDD, which almost failed, but I eventually got to work. However, the SSD no...
  8. SSD working properly, not showing up in boot order in BIOS

9. SSD not showing up in BIOS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD not showing up in BIOS: Hey! Around one week ago my SSD started to troll me, and my PC started to get blue screen every day with an error code of UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION, I didn't cared about it too much, I jist restarted my PC and ignored it. But today I started to get blue screens every 30...
  10. BIOS Boot order

in Windows 10 Support
    BIOS Boot order: I could not find an option under Boot Options, in the BIOS, of my P57W computer to boot off an optical or thumb drive. How the hell am I to boot off these devices when I cannot see them in the BIOS? Gigabyte documentation, or the lack thereof, SUCKS big time. I finally...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Pc c drive ssd not showing up in boot list