Windows 10: SSD only recognised as HDD.

Discus and support SSD only recognised as HDD. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I have two SSDs in my computer a 500GB Samsung 860 Evo used as the boot device and 1TB Crucial MX500 used as secondary storage. After a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GeoffSKelly, Apr 11, 2020.

1. SSD only recognised as HDD.

Hello,

I have two SSDs in my computer a 500GB Samsung 860 Evo used as the boot device and 1TB Crucial MX500 used as secondary storage. After a computer refresh and restart I ran the defrag program to optimise the drives and noted it recognised them as standard HDDs and was trying to defragment them.

After investigating it appeared the only way Windows recognises SSDs is through performance benchmark in WinSAT, a pretty useless way of recognising if you ask me but that isn't my question. The problem is that when running WinSAT it only runs performance tests on the boot drive C: the 860 Evo. It recognises that drive immediately as an SSD. I have managed to manually test the MX500 using "winsat disk -drive d:" but despite the performance readings similar to the 860 Evo defrag doggedly recognises it only as a HDD. Is the command I am using incorrect, is there a better one? Or is there a different way to force Windows to recognise the drive appropriately without using 3rd party programs.

I simply want to set up a scheduled occassional optimise of the drive, but cannot do that if it is going to persist in trying to defragment it.

Many thanks for any assistance.

:)

GeoffSKelly, Apr 11, 2020
  2. RPB57 Win User

SATA HDD recognised as SSD

Hi. My SATA HDD is recognised as a SSD and Windows 10 will not perform defragmentation on it as a result; which I appreciate. I've tried many of the prescribed procedures mentioned on forums but to no effect. I'm pretty convinced that the problem lies
    in the fact I have installed a SSD in my machine. Windows is recognising the correct size of my SATA HDD however and the SSD isn't showing up quite rightly as its Linux formatted. Using a third party defragmentation program exactly the same problem occurs,
    however I was able to defragment my C drive using it as it just warned against it and didn't prohibit me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

RPB57, Apr 11, 2020
  3. RPB57 Win User
    SATA HDD recognised as SSD

Just occurred to me. Could it be that the primary boot drive is the Linux SSD. I've got a feeling this could

be the problem. I'm not sure how to configure Windows 10 to boot from the SATA HDD. I will try reinstalling the drivers and look into the BIOS but would appreciate your take on my suggestion.

RPB57, Apr 11, 2020
  4. SSD only recognised as HDD.

Does Windows 10 automatically recognise that a SSD has replaced a HDD?

I have recently replaced the HDD in my Windows 10 laptop with a SSD. As I understand it, Windows periodically runs a defragmentation in the background on a HDD. However, SSD drives do not require defragmenting and running such a tool can shorten the life
    of a SSD.

The SSD was a clone of the HDD and not a new installation. Will Windows 10 recognize that the laptop now has a SSD and stop its background defragmentation or do I need to take specific steps to prevent this activity occurring on the SSD? If I need to take
    action please advise on the steps I should take.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Grangeland, Apr 11, 2020
Thema:

SSD only recognised as HDD.

1. SSD only recognised as HDD. - Similar Threads - SSD recognised HDD

2. SSD and HDD not recognised.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD and HDD not recognised.: Hi All.I have bought another PC recently. It had an HDD fitted but I decided to fit the SSD from my old PC along with this HDD. It seemed like a straight addition to the new PC but having done that I am getting the message 'Cannot find a bootable device'. Can someone please...
  3. SSD and HDD not recognised.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD and HDD not recognised.: Hi All.I have bought another PC recently. It had an HDD fitted but I decided to fit the SSD from my old PC along with this HDD. It seemed like a straight addition to the new PC but having done that I am getting the message 'Cannot find a bootable device'. Can someone please...
  4. SSD and HDD not recognised.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. HDD not recognised

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HDD not recognised: Hi, Am hoping somebody can give me some help getting my 2nd HDD recognised. The full story in brief on how this has happened is :- I did a windows update & after that my pc wouldnt boot i suspect due to usb drivers being disabled , anyway it meant i couldnt even use my mouse...
  6. SSD not recognised.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD not recognised.: My friend gave me a HDD that he said was clean formatted as NTFS. I was going to use it as storage. I plugged it in and Win XP started to load. I immediately did a shutdown and removed the HDD. I booted and now my OS doesn't recognise the SSD A400 at all in Disk Management...
  7. SATA HDD recognised as SSD

SATA HDD recognised as SSD: Hi. My SATA HDD is recognised as a SSD and Windows 10 will not perform defragmentation on it as a result; which I appreciate. I've tried many of the prescribed procedures mentioned on forums but to no effect. I'm pretty convinced that the problem lies in the fact I have...
  8. HDD not recognised in file explorer only

HDD not recognised in file explorer only: Hi, yesterday I turned on my pc to find that I can no longer boot off my main drive. Through installing windows on another drive and entering disk management, the drive shows as two equal "unallocated" partitions, the only option to delete and format them. If I use the Ubuntu...
  9. ssd not recognised

ssd not recognised: I have 2 ssd Samsung SSD 840 pro series (c*Smile and Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB (d*Smile. Both these drives are recognised I presume correctly. They are installed on a Toshiba QOSMIO X500 PQX33E-00N006EN laptop. Trim is enabled as I run fsutil behavior query...
  10. External HDD not being recognised - from today only

External HDD not being recognised - from today only: I've read the threads about the AU causing problems with external HDDs, also that the latest patch Tuesday updates corrected this for some people. I have the opposite problem: AU installed without problems around 3 weeks ago. Latest updates installed on 23rd August, and...