Windows 10: SSD Optimization

Discus and support SSD Optimization in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've recently had to install the 1903 Feature Update. I had delayed this by changing settings to indicate I was on a metered connection and Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Jack U3A, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Jack U3A Win User

SSD Optimization

I've recently had to install the 1903 Feature Update. I had delayed this by changing settings to indicate I was on a metered connection and Microsoft gave me the option to update. Eventually they must have lost patience and I no longer had the option. Previous Feature updates had been problematical but this time it wasn't too bad as I had the opportunuty to uninstall programmes which I assume Microsoft takes exception to such as 'Libre Office'.

Having successfully updated to 1903 my first action, after deleting the download file using 'Settings', was to create an image of my SSD onto an external USB drive using Macrium Reflect. This took much longer than usual, 74 minutes. I looked into the SSD situation and discovered it had not been 'optimized' for 31 days despite the fact it had been set up to happen on a weekly basis. I ran optimisation 'manually', created another image and this time it took 26 minutes which for me was normal.

Although I have optimization set up for 'weekly' I have no way of determining which day of the week it happens or the time of day so for all I know I may not have my PC switched on when it needs to be switched on for this to happen. I see that I am supposed to be notified if optimization has been missed, but I never had any notification about the 31 days and clearly optimization is important. My Question (at last) Is there any way I can set up optimisation to occur at a time I know my PC will be switched on? Another question: is there any likelihood that having had my settings to indicate I was on a metered connection this may have inhibited the optimization process? I realise that this second question is clutching at straws, but I'm always aware that these computer things do not always behave as might be expected.

:)

Jack U3A, Aug 31, 2019

2. Windows 10 can not optimize HDD, says it is a SSD Help

Hi Steve,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

• Does the BIOS recognizes the disk as HDD or SSD?

Suggest you to set the Optimize Drives Service to start automatically from the services window to check if that helps.

1. Open the run window, type ‘services.msc’ and press Enter.
    2. Search for Optimize Drives Service and select the start-up type as automatic. Also ensure to start the service.

If you have set SATA controller to AHCI mode for Solid State Drive, in Device Manager it would show as SATA hard disk.

Follow these steps:

1. Click start, type “Defragment” and click “Defragment and Optimize your drives”.
    2. On the “Defragment and Optimize your drives” window. Make sure that your SSD is categorized as an SSD.
    3. If it’s not, then you can set it as a SSD on your bios. This way, you don’t have to exclude your SSD or disable any scheduled defragmentation.
    Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring
    of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Aug 31, 2019
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    BulldogXX, Aug 31, 2019
  4. Clint Win User

SSD Optimization

Optimize SSD

Since I've installed a SSD, When I run Optimize it says never run-needs optimization. It will never run on it. Any suggestions?

SSD Optimization [​IMG]

Clint, Aug 31, 2019
Thema:

SSD Optimization

1. SSD Optimization - Similar Threads - SSD Optimization

2. ssd optimization issue TRIM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ssd optimization issue TRIM: I have 3 ssd's installed on my computer . . one of the drives cannot be optimised when the tools option is selected the ssd properties optimization not available does anyone know a fix?OS WINDOWS 11...
  3. ssd optimization issue TRIM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ssd optimization issue TRIM: I have 3 ssd's installed on my computer . . one of the drives cannot be optimised when the tools option is selected the ssd properties optimization not available does anyone know a fix?...
  4. Why is the Windows 11 TRIM schedule once a week for optimizing SSD's?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is the Windows 11 TRIM schedule once a week for optimizing SSD's?: Defrag/optimize drives defaults at once a week.Why isn't it done more frequently?Doesn't Trim reduce wear and increase performance or is there diminishing returns or some other factor?...
  5. Why is the Windows 11 TRIM schedule once a week for optimizing SSD's?

Why is the Windows 11 TRIM schedule once a week for optimizing SSD's?: Defrag/optimize drives defaults at once a week.Why isn't it done more frequently?Doesn't Trim reduce wear and increase performance or is there diminishing returns or some other factor?...
  6. Is it safe to defrag and optimize an SSD? If not what do I do if I already did it multiple...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to defrag and optimize an SSD? If not what do I do if I already did it multiple...: I have done multiple “Defragment and Optimize Drives,” to my SSD thinking that it would boost some performance in my games. However a lot of people say that it is bad to do this to my SSD. What should I do?...
  7. Is it safe to defrag and optimize an SSD? If not what do I do if I already did it multiple...

Is it safe to defrag and optimize an SSD? If not what do I do if I already did it multiple...: I have done multiple “Defragment and Optimize Drives,” to my SSD thinking that it would boost some performance in my games. However a lot of people say that it is bad to do this to my SSD. What should I do?...
  8. SSD Optimization Not Available

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD Optimization Not Available: I cannot seem to get a straight answer to this question anywhere I search.My external SSD suddenly started running very slowly. It's a Samsung EVO 860 500GB. Windows 11 plenty of RAM etc. Power Options = High Performance Plan=====I open Optimize Drives and it says:• C Drive...
  9. SSD Optimization Not Available

SSD Optimization Not Available: I cannot seem to get a straight answer to this question anywhere I search.My external SSD suddenly started running very slowly. It's a Samsung EVO 860 500GB. Windows 11 plenty of RAM etc. Power Options = High Performance Plan=====I open Optimize Drives and it says:• C Drive...
  10. SSD Optimization Tips for better performance on Windows PC

in Windows 10 News
    SSD Optimization Tips for better performance on Windows PC: [ATTACH]SSD or Solid State Drive is a great way to increase your read and write pace by leaps and bounds. But there is still a lot you can do to improve the performance further. This article will give you some SSD optimization tips for better performance, so, go through them...