Windows 10: SSD Partition

Discus and support SSD Partition in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; My Intel NUC 5i5RYH comes with 128GB M.2 SATA.I partitioned into two.Now I wish to combine back into a single partition.Unfortunately, the 2nd... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by AlbertLiaw, Mar 29, 2022.

1. SSD Partition

My Intel NUC 5i5RYH comes with 128GB M.2 SATA.I partitioned into two.Now I wish to combine back into a single partition.Unfortunately, the 2nd partition does not follows the 1st partition. There is another partition in between.The partition in between is called Recovery Partition, it is only 526MB.What is this partition for, can it be deleted?Please advise how to combine back,

:)

AlbertLiaw, Mar 29, 2022
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Mar 29, 2022
  3. HLL_544 Win User
    Saving free space on SSD (Regarding multiple obligatory partitions on main drive)

Gerry Here just copy-paste some irrelevant response.

Well, **I've figured it out**. Here my solution (I Take no responsibility from any damage that might arise from this process, and I do not guarantee it to work for u.)

We'll assume u have 2 disks; SSD and HDD.

Also NOTE: I Work in a GPT-Disk partitioning scheme, I don't know if it's applicable on dos-style MBR partitioning.

General-methodology wich we are going to work with (or TL;DR).

• Delete all partitions on all drive
    • Install Windows on the HDD Drive
    • Install Windows on the SSD Drive (yes, twice!)
    • Repartition the HDD to free up and reallocate as we wish (The only parition that HAVE to be there is the EUFI System (Fat) )
    • After freeing up HDD space, move user folder to the HDD
    • PROFIT
    And in more detail:

THIS GUIDE ASSUME THIS IS A FRESH PC - THAT U DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING U NEED ON EITHER DISKS.

* - Asterisk, not a real step, just additional information

• Boot into windows 10 installation
    • Clear ALL partitions on BOTH drives
    • Let windows install itself onto the HDD, We'll call this installation win-hdd
      • There is no need to actually boot into this OS.
    • Boot into windows 10 installation
    • Let windows install itself onto the SSD. We'll call this installation win-ssd
      • *What would happen now, Is that windows detects the recovery and eufi partitions and does not need to create such additional partitions on your ssd. It would only create a 16MB windows reserved partition.
      • *Your boot partition would be hdd/eufi; But since windows detect it's own bootloader it would allow you to duel-boot between win-hdd and win-ssd(default)
    • Optional: During windows-ssd first run wizard switch to audit mode (CTRL+SHIFT+F3)
      • *We would use audit mode to:
        • * Optional1: Repartition hdd
        • * Optional2: Change "Users" folder to the hdd.
        • * If u do not want to move Users folder, u can do 6.2 After win-ssd fully boots instead
      • Repartition hdd & move Users folder:
        • Using a 3rd party tool such as "MiniTool Partition Wizard" you can do the fallowing *as you wish*:
          • Delete win-hdd partition
          • Delete recovery-hdd partition
          • Delete windows reserved (16 mb) partition.
          • You can also later move the EUFI to the start of the hdd disk, if needed
          • Create new partition (free to use) on hdd.
          • Make sure to properly assign drive letters to all drive as u wish
          • Fallow
            this guide
            to relocate the User folder (Starting from Step 2)
    • Boot into windows-ssd; If u do not know which one (int the OS selection screen) It's safe to assume that the automatically-selected one is the win-ssd.
    • If u have not performed 6.2 Yet, this is the time to do that now.
    GLHF.

HLL_544, Mar 29, 2022
  4. BulldogXX Win User

SSD Partition

Partitioning an SSD

Before I get to your questions, I would like to suggest that you make primary partitions, instead of logicals. The locations of primary partitions are entered into the partition table, whereas logical partitions are really a hack. The practical difference
    manifests in the event that the logical structure of your hard drive becomes corrupted. It will be easy for partition repair software to locate the starting point of the primary partitions, in order to recover your data, but much more difficult and perhaps
    impossible to locate the beginnings of your logical drives.

With that said ...

1- Is it okay to partition a SSD? Yes! And it's a good idea, for all the reasons you stated.

2- Would it affect access time? No, it would not, because SSDs don't have actuator arms that move read/write heads into position. Instead, data is read and written at the speed of electricity.

3- You should create a primary partition, as described above. Primary partitions increase the chances of successfully recovering your data.

BulldogXX, Mar 29, 2022
Thema:

SSD Partition

1. SSD Partition - Similar Threads - SSD Partition

2. how do i increase drive C on SSD with RAW primary partition?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do i increase drive C on SSD with RAW primary partition?: hello. i recently upgraded from windows 7 to 10 using SSD. my SSD was 240GB but the new drive that added to my disk is just 97GB. also my C driveSSD is almost full. after searching on internet for my problem i found that in disk managment, i have a 125GB RAW basic data...
  3. Windows Update 0x80070643 Error Fix -- Screwed up WinRE partition size due to SSD...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update 0x80070643 Error Fix -- Screwed up WinRE partition size due to SSD...: After using the microsoft recommended method to manually resize/shrink the primary OS partition by 250 MB in order to increase WinRE partition size so that you can finally install the new windows update 0x80070643 ERROR. This method completely messed up the new WinRE...
  4. Windows Update 0x80070643 Error Fix -- Screwed up WinRE partition size due to SSD...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update 0x80070643 Error Fix -- Screwed up WinRE partition size due to SSD...: After using the microsoft recommended method to manually resize/shrink the primary OS partition by 250 MB in order to increase WinRE partition size so that you can finally install the new windows update 0x80070643 ERROR. This method completely messed up the new WinRE...
  5. Windows Update 0x80070643 Error Fix -- Screwed up WinRE partition size due to SSD...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. How to un-hide a SSD partition ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to un-hide a SSD partition ?: Like many others I'm having a problem installing update KB5034441 on Windows 10.Thought I'd take a look at the size of my recovery partition but didn't see any partition labeled as such in Disk Management. The lower section did show a 527MB partition without a label.I found a...
  7. How to un-hide a SSD partition ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to un-hide a SSD partition ?: Like many others I'm having a problem installing update KB5034441 on Windows 10.Thought I'd take a look at the size of my recovery partition but didn't see any partition labeled as such in Disk Management. The lower section did show a 527MB partition without a label.I found a...
  8. How to un-hide a SSD partition ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. SSD partition missing not even found in disk management

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD partition missing not even found in disk management: Background: I bought this laptop a few years back, came with 1x 1TB SSD. I went ahead and split the SSD up into 2 parts, C drive for the windows essential items and D drive for everything else. Computer some times shows "location is not available" pop up at startup but a...
  10. SSD partition missing not even found in disk management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD partition missing not even found in disk management: Background: I bought this laptop a few years back, came with 1x 1TB SSD. I went ahead and split the SSD up into 2 parts, C drive for the windows essential items and D drive for everything else. Computer some times shows "location is not available" pop up at startup but a...