Windows 10: SSD 'pausing' when installing or copying multiple very small files

Discus and support SSD 'pausing' when installing or copying multiple very small files in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Win 10 Pro 64-bit, version 1909 I have two drives in my PC, a Crucial SSD for my main drive (model: CT2000MX500SSD1) and a hard drive acting as my D:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by WinTenner, Oct 29, 2020.

1. WinTenner Win User

SSD 'pausing' when installing or copying multiple very small files

Win 10 Pro 64-bit, version 1909

I have two drives in my PC, a Crucial SSD for my main drive (model: CT2000MX500SSD1) and a hard drive acting as my D: drive (used as a backup) - model: Toshiba HDWD120. Both are SATA drives.

I've not had any problems with the SSD since installing it in my PC a month or so ago, however I've just had to install some software which has many hundreds of very small config files and it seemingly took forever - the main problem is that every few seconds the installation pauses, in fact I can't do anything on my PC at all during these pauses.

Even uninstalling the software and the multiple files takes a very long time (but not as long as installing).

As an experiment I tried installing the same software onto my hard drive and that went just fine, there were a few very brief pauses but nothing like I see with the SSD.

Is this indicating a problem with the SSD, the way Windows 10 is utilising it or some SSD performance issue that I'm not aware of ?

Thanks

:)

WinTenner, Oct 29, 2020
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Oct 29, 2020
  3. Wozzer Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Oct 29, 2020
  4. SSD 'pausing' when installing or copying multiple very small files

How to copy files from a dvd which doesnot copies?

yes it paused while copying and i tried several softwares. i tried daemon tools and it shows disk read error at that point.

Sunehildeep, Oct 29, 2020
Thema:

SSD 'pausing' when installing or copying multiple very small files

1. SSD 'pausing' when installing or copying multiple very small files - Similar Threads - SSD 'pausing' installing

2. Failiure to copy a small file in pen drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failiure to copy a small file in pen drive: I am on a Win 11 system.Off late facing some problem while copying files from my Pc to pen drives, not the other way round.I want to copy a PDF file of size 41 KB to a pen drive with 3.09 GB free space, but the system prompts that "There is not enough memory to complete this...
  3. Failiure to copy a small file in pen drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failiure to copy a small file in pen drive: I am on a Win 11 system.Off late facing some problem while copying files from my Pc to pen drives, not the other way round.I want to copy a PDF file of size 41 KB to a pen drive with 3.09 GB free space, but the system prompts that "There is not enough memory to complete this...
  4. Multiple Copies of Microsoft Files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Multiple Copies of Microsoft Files: Sorry if I missed a previous answer. I have multiple copies of Visual Basic C++ Redistributable files on my PC some with different years. I believe the updates are cumulative so that earlier versions may be removed. Is this true? Does it hold true between years? That is, if I...
  5. small pauses/freezes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    small pauses/freezes: im getting small pauses, lags like freezes every few seconds that last for a few seconds, its starting to make doing anything on my pc very hard, im not sure where to even start with this 170323
  6. very small print

in Windows 10 Customization
    very small print: how to enlarge print https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/very-small-print/5a48e2d4-2f81-478e-b9b6-1cafb4af8b28
  7. File copy not very successful

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File copy not very successful: I have a Surface Pro 7 and a 128GB SanDisk microSDXC card and I'm having problems coping files successfully to it. I'm trying to copy 60GB+ of photos, 320 directories and some subdirectories. I usually get half that copy successfully but the rest may initially seam ok but...
  8. very small icons and very small text in taskbar,

in Windows 10 Customization
    very small icons and very small text in taskbar,: Hi ,my name is Colin i have just bought a new Dell inspiron 15 model 3585,The problem i have is tiny text and icons on task bar,and when i right click on anything that text is also so very small,i might add that in settings the text size is normal size, ease of access is of...
  9. Copy pause and resume

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copy pause and resume: Is it possible to start copying a large folder to another drive, pause it, turn computer off and then resume copying where I left off when I turn computer on again. If so, how do I resume it? Thanks....
  10. Refresh very very low on desktop or folder when copy or move files

in Windows 10 Support
    Refresh very very low on desktop or folder when copy or move files: Is some time that when i copy or move files on different folders or also files from folders to desktop, the file copied or moved appear after time, not immediately also if the dimesion is very little. Sometime i must select refresh on desktop or F5 on folder to see files...